1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Going to be a massacre

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Some teams with a lot of cap space are going to make out like bandits.

I’m dreading our own cut list, blood bath. At the same time, wish they’d just get on with it, tired of the wait. Still haven’t even completed reworking Bens contract. Is it happening or not.

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    IMO this is a very annoying time to be a Steeler fan. It's probably a 50/50 split among fans with the Ben issue. We do not have a mobile QB with Ben and unless we have the old Washington "Hogs" as our O-line he will hurt us. Other side of coin is a lot of us don't think we have a replacement and having Ben under center will at least give us a chance in games.

QB's in general hurt teams cap space. It's tough as hell to fill all the spots we need filled and if we are being honest the AFC North is no cake walk anymore. I use to only worry about Ravens but Bengals and Browns are part of the show now.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Juju, Hilton and Dupree are gone.

4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Also some will over pay for little return in that investment.
    We see teams do this all the time.
    Have Faith.

5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    North Bro.
    We haven't been Central in a coons age.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You believe all 3??

7. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Yeah.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Keeping my fingers crossed on Dupree. Injury probably decreased his value a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  9. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015

Means there were will be plenty of opportunities for us also.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    With what money?

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Steeler fans are wading into the deep end of the pool. We've been cruising through the Ben era with enough talent to give us a shot every year. We've done little with it, but there weren't any Ben years that you could look at and think we shouldn't be relevant in the post-season. Injuries and bad luck always can derail a positive season, but we've been the cream of the crop for a long, long time.

Now, we're not relevant. And we're on the precipice of transitioning to a mediocre team with little prospect of turning it around any time soon. Luck will be our most prized possession for the foreseeable future.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    A little bit of luck helps most teams. :shrug:

13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It might have, but some still have projected a 12 million plus one year deal. Of course it is all speculation, but there are enough teams with money that might be willing to pay that.

14. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree that QBs can do a lot of damage to teams cap space. When exactly is the last time you saw the highest paid QB in the league win a Super Bowl. I believe Patrick Mahomes is currently the highest paid, but that was after he won a Super Bowl. We will see how that pans out over the next few seasons. In the AFC North for example, Joe Flacco was a top 3 highest paid after winning the Super Bowl, but fell off the next few seasons. I think any time a team cash straps themselves to a QB, it minimizes the opportunity to win a Super Bowl. I know I have said it before, but as much as everyone loved to hate Brady as a Patriot, he was never the highest paid QB. He sacrificed that title in pursuit of championship titles. I think there should be a cap on positions. If you are good enough, you can make up the additional salary on endorsement deals. If your play declines, then you lost the endorsement deals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Great point. But it's not just the QB that straps a team to "pay vs. production" deficit. Granted, you're largest salary is usually the QB. But championships do not come to teams selling out for one or two skilled position players. Building a team with a solid foundation and skilled position players who buy in, and fit in, to scheme and possess a "team first" mentality are best equipped to compete for a championship.

16. Seven4Steel

Nov 28, 2020
    Well sure. A little luck helps anyone. My point about luck was that we're going to have to get lucky with our additions to this roster. Every addition is a crap shoot. We didn't know what we were actually going to get out of Minkah in terms of production. We got lucky. And now we're going to be looking for a new QB and other replacements for players already established on both sides of the ball. Luck is going to determine the success of those additions far above scouting or tangibles.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Who is on the chopping block for the Steelers?

Some of the obvious candidates are Haden $7m, Decastro $8.75m :eek:, Ebron $6m and Vince $4m

Some lesser potential cuts are Derek Watt and Chris Boswell at about $1.5m each.

They will extend / restructure some of the above rather than cut of course. All depends on the final cap. I hate the thought of cutting any of those guys really.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Those aren't cuts, those 3 are free agents :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Actually it’s about 68%-32%. At least on this site.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You don’t think they’re going to make some moves to free up some cap space?

21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Which means... they're gone.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They aren’t going to be big players, they never are, certainly won’t be this year. Could be like 2010 and 2011 when they signed 1 bargain basement FA both offseason’s.

• Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They already have made moves. There are only so many moves they can make. These moves screw us in future years too. Next year can will cost us over 17 mil. towards the cap. Tuitt if they feel his will be more then that or as much. Nelson is still the guy I'd cut. 8 mil.. Haden has two years left, Nelson only one. Haden is the better player. :cool:

24. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Could keep all of them if they'd part ways with the Over The Hill Gang, but they're going to make one last futile run AND mortgage their future to do so.

This is a terrible way to build a team.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  25. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Wait until he finds out we're not playing the Oilers this year.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1