1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you want Ben as our starting QB in 2021?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. No

79 vote(s)
    68.1%
  1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

TRADE HIM!!! TRADE EVERYONE!!!

:lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Great Movie.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Which offensive lineman caused Ben's 4 picks against Cleveland that ended our season?

5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Alejandro Villanueva, Matt Feiler, Maurkice Pouncey, David DeCastro and Chukwuma Okorafor all played a part in that by their inability to not Run Block. The more attempts a Quarterback has to throw the football, the greater the likelihood of an interception. For that matter, Big Al was getting his butt kicked for the entire Second Half of the 2020 Season. The 2020 Wild Card Game was the Coup De Gras of his woeful conclusion to the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He was in shot gun 573 time of 608 pass attempts. I understand that the league in general runs a lot of shotgun but I wonder what the next closest QB is to that ratio. That seems insanely high.

I certainly hope that Rooney made it clear to Ben that he will need to do things differently in order to come back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    They put the line at a disadvantage by having them run block from a 3 point stance. Again, more poor coaching.

Steelers from what I understand were about middle of the pack at pass blocking, part of that I am sure was do to how fast Ben got rid of the ball but the run blocking being dead last doesn’t surprise me, they didn’t do them any favors.

8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    That only leaves about 30 plays that weren't shotgun. That's the kinda stuff I would do playing Madden. And trying to run from shotgun is often a disadvantage, no wonder they couldn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

It also does not help that, with the exception of Kevin Dotson and presumably both Chuks and Zach, the rest of the line is on the wrong side of 30. That must be addressed in the biggest way possible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I know from looking it up.
    That KC ,& Ravens ran more shotgun than we did.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I linked a site before that show that the biggest running plays came from shotgun this year, and no not from the QBs. Just said that in case someone said. I believe if memory serves me right most , not all,were by the Rams. I put a link up before. Last time I mentioned it.

12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    That’s true but it’s a different proposition when you have a mobile QB that must be accounted for. Lamar is in his own league but even Mahomes is well able to scramble and make plays outside of structure. That threat changes what the defence needs to do against them. Lamar in particular is better than most running backs with the ball in his hands.

Contrast that to the Steelers, nobody is going to be afraid of Ben taking off or even breaking the pocket, defences knew what was coming on nearly every play, especially after they dumped all the jet sweeps and motion, albeit teams had figured a lot of that out by the time they did.

Im not sure how you reignite that running attack with a statue QB that won’t use play action. Do they need to throw it more on early downs to soften defences up? If Ben is coming back they are definitely going to have to take more shots down the field, lighten the box a bit and open up opportunities for the running attack. Complementary football, adding linemen and a good running back will be very helpful but i think they will continue to struggle on the ground if Ben can’t connect with guys down the field.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't need explaining. The Question was put up about another team running it as much as we did, or not, or something 2 that effect. So I answered. With facts, not what I think.
    Also if teams knew so much, and we're so easy 2 Defend .....I'm sure glad they were NICE enough 2 LET us win 12 games and average the points we did.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I found this. KC and Pitt were tied at 83% from shotgun and only Baltimore and AZ ran shotgun more which makes sense given who their QB’s are.

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/snap-rates--shotgun-v-under-center--off-.html

That doesn’t mean much, they run a higher percentage of plays from shotgun then under center, makes sense they would have more successful runs from that formation.

15. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Fair enough STD, no condescension or offence (pardon the pun) intended.

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    On the second part. They were talking about the NFL in a whole, but I believe Rams were who they were showing.
    Also it's crazy how one site shows one thing , and another something different.
    That's why I dont trust them. LoL.

17. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Brother, I'm with ya on the hope he succeeds. Don't mistake my complaining for desire for failure. I hope I'm 100% wrong on what he can accomplish.
    I just don't think he's going to be able to be "better" than last season without an upgraded OL and a 180 on offensive philosophy.

Ben MUST have a running game that grinds out yards at greater than a 4 yard average. If that happens, stopping the run will actually become part of the opposing defenses' gameplan. That changes coverage and either brings a safety down or replaces him with a LB. That opens up the passing game and gives our receivers more time and space for separation.

Worst rushing attack in the league last year, total yards and ypc. 3.6 ypc.

Year - Total/ypc
    2020 - 1351/3.6
    2019 - 1447/3.7
    2018 - 1445/4.2 (JC featured)
    2017 - 1667/3.8 (LB featured)
    2016 - 1760/4.3 (LB featured)
    2015 - 1724/4.4 (LB featured)
    2014 - 1752/4.1 (LB featured)
    2013 - 1383/3.5 (LB featured)

Even with Bell, we were still middle of the pack running the ball. But that allowed Ben and the passing game to flourish. The run MUST set up the pass next season.

Ben's accuracy wasn't great last season, even on shorter throws. But the rash of dropped balls wasn't all his fault. That also must improve for a successful season.

But if Ben has to operate out of the shotgun for >85% of his snaps, receivers upping their game will be the only improvement we might see next season. Even with an improved OL, we're still a one-dimensional offense, easily defended.

That's just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He ran a couple in 2018 and hadn't run a QB sneak since 2015.
    https://archive.triblive.com/sports...rst-qb-sneak-in-years-in-front-of-todd-haley/

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
  20. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    Ben would hold and flex his elbow during almost every game last season. It was the same action as when his tendon finally came loose in 2019. Scared the crap out of me. Maybe the torque put on the tendons post rehab was uncomfortable. Maybe his elbow was "settling in" to all the stress of an actual football season and he never got his new weapon dialed in.

I don't know what happened, but something changed early on in the season and he struggled to get on top of it the rest of the way.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    :facepalm:
    How is this relevant to anything related to the Steelers? The AB fanclub dissolved a few years ago, replaced with fanclubs of our current receivers or rehashing of Steeler HOF receivers that didn't shat all over their team.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He's had like two since 2015. That's not good at all.

23. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Some of what you say i do agree with, but i would also remind you running the ball is a mindset. You got to want to do it, much like making a tackle .Hate to use New England but Brady was never a treat to run the ball and they always had no name running backs, but were able to get the job done. We need a few young pissed off maulers

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Good enough. Hes a Qb not a Rb.

25. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes Jerome Bettis commented on this during the season and you are exactly right. They need to find a good blocking TE as well, somebody that will do the dirty work but can also catch a pass here and there. I’m not sure if Ebron is staying but he is a very limited blocker in any case.