1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben is returning to the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Lloyd&Green

Lloyd&Green Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2015
    If they’re serious about trying to rebuild then I don’t see why you would bring Ben back. Especially under a new and unproven O-line. Respect to Ben but it’s time to move on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They aren't rebuilding, Art II thinks the team is playoff caliber.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Lloyd&Green

Oct 24, 2015
    There seems to be some confusion in the front office then because there’s a thread here where Colbert confirms that they’re in rebuild mode starting with the O-line.

Personally, I could see the team being in the playoffs again but just don’t think that Ben is good enough to beat another contending team. I also think that the team needs to get back to their real identity which is smash-mouth ball control offense to compliment a dominant defense. With Ben, they’re too pass-happy.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The OL is in rebuild mode, but not the whole team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    That thread is in regards to the offensive line. I was messing with the people that want a rebuild with that title. It specifies the oline when you open it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lloyd&Green

Oct 24, 2015
    Cool. Doesn’t change any of my opinions on the issue here.

7. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    So many damn variables with the Steelers this year. Is Bens arm strength going to be better, having a full year of play after the successful surgery? Or does Father Time catch up to him even more? Does Bush, Highsmith, Banner and McFarland come back strong and improve their respective sides of the ball? Can Colbert continue to re-stock lost talent, especially on O-line and defensive backs positions? As a fan, I am really worried about all this as well as the schedule being way harder than last years. As a reasonable person, and not looking at it as a fan, I will be surprised if Steelers finish 8-8. If Tomlin can somehow win 10 games, I will never say another bad thing about his coaching, and as a fan would be ecstatic.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    You could argue the offence as a whole is entering a rebuild. I don’t think there will be many starters from the 2020 offence left after next season. Huge changes in personnel coming on that side of the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    if they cut him now, we would be cap compliant. save 19 mil. we are 19 mil. over. cut vince 4 mil. redo tuitt 4 mil.. cut samuels 920,000. cut UG3 816,000. canaday about 500,000. we have a draft and a guy to replace canaday on the roster. we could get about 10 mil. to the good to play with. if they do this with ben we won't have that much even with these cuts. :cool:

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if we do what sporttrac suggests we are still 5 million over the cap then. :cool:

11. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Out of curiosity, why cut Samuels? He plays his part on special teams, and after roster displacement you don’t really save anything. Same with UG3, albeit he may be cut because he just can’t seem to stay healthy.

I think they’ll do extensions and restructures with Haden and Nelson as well, could save another $8m or thereabouts. I’d be careful about giving Haden new guarantees but I’d keep him around until he falls off a cliff, once his pay demands are reasonable.

12. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I've been saying Nelson and Haden are extension targets as well (agree with you on caution with Haden's), along with Tuitt. I'm a little surprised they targeted Heyward again, but if OTC's numbers are correct his prorated salaries aren't bad at all - could've sworn I saw him hitting double digits if they restructured again. That said, his hits in 2023 & 24 will be difficult to absorb.

Agree on Samuels. His production on ST merits his $920k, and he also looks to be the only RB with signifcant experience in the backfield this offseason. Some may disagree, but I think DeCastro and Ebron targets for extension on offense.

I've been meaning to play around and see what would have to be done to secure Sutton, Hilton, and if possible JuJu along with the new contracts coming for Watt and Fitzpatrick. I don't have a huge problem with Ben being brought back, but really hope it doesn't cost a valuable piece (or pieces) that could contribute over the next few years.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if they draft a RB he really won't be needed. These restructure s got us into a lot of problems in the past with older players like haden. We already will owe can around 22 mil. next year. Pretty close it they restructure Tuitt as well, and then it they do Ben we will owe a bundle. Nelson and Samuels are nothing special that we couldn't replace with near 9.5 million they count against our cap in savings. We are over the cap and there will have to be cuts made somewhere. :cool:

14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    All this is known already. What's your point? You'll be happy if we're mediocre once again?

• Like Like x 1
  15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The standard...well you know the drill.

16. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Watching the KDKA sports show.

There's a guy on here in favor of Ben coming back and is like yeah you're not gonna win a Super Bowl but isn't it about being a fan and enjoying having a winning season?

Somebody's been hanging around with AR2.

17. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I’m not sure about Decastro, I think he was playing through injury or something. Quite possible he has a new lease of life next season if he is healthy. If he is going well in training camp I wouldn’t hate the idea of an extension.

I have little time for Ebron and would prefer they move on when they can. He is far too inconsistent for my liking.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Nelson is solid and relatively young. I don’t think you get rid of a guy like that at the corner position, it’s difficult to find reliable guys there. JMO

Samuels is a guy I’d keep until his cheap rookie deal is up and then send him on his way. Somebody has to play special teams, you’d cut him to save $900k but you’d still need somebody for that roster spot that’d be earning the same. I don’t see the point cutting him personally. He doesn’t offer anything on offence but he is not that bad that they can’t carry that small salary for what he gives you on special teams

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    they usually only carry 3 RBs. his dead money hit is very low compared to the savings. there are only so many guys to look at to cut to get to compliance. if they draft a RB along with snell and mcfarland, those would be their 3. they have edmunds also who they brought back on the PS. they need money from some source. they are running out of those. they are also sending a lot of money down the road. i know you think there is a lot for next year but with these restructures it will be eaten up quickly and we will still need players in those positions. salary cap may go up but so do salaries. we have to sign our rookies, carry about 3 mil. into the season and fund the practice squad out of the money. not to mention the dead money hits. as we stand we are over 19 million over the cap with 51 players counting at this point. those other two will count when the season begins. thats over 1.3 million alone. yes 920,000 comes into play when you need every dollar. nothing against samuels, i like the kid. :cool:

20. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Not to be splitting hairs on Samuels but you won’t save $920k because somebody has to take that spot, even an undrafted guy costs $660k, so after that roster displacement you are saving max $260k to get rid of a good special teams player and bring in an unknown that may or may not work out. I don’t think it’s worth it personally.

The savings should come from the bigger contracts like Ben, DeCastro, Vince, Haden etc imo.

The $19m deficit still has Pouncey on the cap sheet and it’s with a cap of $180m. Hopefully the actual cap will be more. That should be announced any day now

I agree with you that the situation is not good and pushing money in to the future should be a last resort if at all possible, but given the circumstances I dont see how they can avoid it this year.

21. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    KDKA sports guy is an imbedded Troll. Otherwise, an idiot. Not sure which as one is intentional, the other isn't. Or, could be both. If you watched the movie Patton, he said (roughly) he didn't give a hoot or hell about a man who lost, and laughed. I identify with this a lot. But its not so much losing that bothers me as it is who and how we lose. If we lost to KC in a close battle I think we'd all be disappointed but move on after a short time and start focusing on the draft. I just wonder why some would want a QB back for so much money that played like Ben did his last two playoff games and think he'll play better a year older? JMO>

22. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    My take on Ben is that he needs to retire and go enjoy the next phase of his life. That said, the options behind Ben are not close to what Ben can contribute even at 80%. The FO hasn't been serious enough about getting his replacement on the roster. In light of that painful fact, Ben is still the better option than Deer, Dwayne, Dobbs, and Delusions.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i disagree about decastro. his knee has been a problem for two years now even after surgery well over a year ago. i wouldn't push that kind of money forward. haden either. they have already pushed cams forward to the tune of about 25 mil. they said they are going to probably do that with tuitt as well but it would only save about 4 mil. which is a help but he will be in the 20+ mil range down the road too. haden would be up there as well down the road. for a guy well up there in age. we saw these problems with aged players with high salaries a few years ago and it hurts the future. :cool:

24. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I don't usually nitpick but since you called me out: An indicator is a marker or a precursor to an actual event. The actual event here would be a role for Ben in 2021. The indicator would be a verbal agreement between both parties and that is what we have here. Lets theorize that a contract in of itself does not guarantee a starting role but does serve as another indicator as there are other variables in play. These other variables in a pre-stage scenario are many and include but not limited to the matter of truth from parties involved. Since I consider the source to produce highly reliable data sets, I can only conclude my initial estimation that it's" usually a pretty good indicator that... He will be back".

25. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Totally agree with Ben retiring. I am not so sure of Ben is the best we have right now. But, we'll never know because we won't change to find out. So, we'll pick up where we left off and then keep telling ourselves that Ben's the guy. In the end, ARII and Ben/ agent will slap each other on the backs telling each other how wonderful things are while another season comes and goes like the last 10. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 2