1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any reason to receive picks in 2022 at the expense of this years draft position?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Brice, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Assuming: With all the Comp picks that the Steelers will be getting next year for players who are leaving; is there any reason for the Steelers to trade for picks from 2022 to move back in the draft?

I Hope this makes since.

Example: We trade our 1st round pick to receive someone's 2nd this year and 3rd next year.

I am thinking we should be receiving 2022 picks in the 3rd and 4th round as Comp. picks for players we are losing this year. So, we should be looking to trade our 2022 picks to move up, or aquire more picks in this years draft.

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    To get a second and third for next year, you're talking about moving back to the mid-50's. Only reason to do that is to load up for a QB next year. We might be getting a third, fourth, and sixth for Juju, Dupree, and Hilton. But it's still going to cost us at least 2023's first, plus whatever we trade down for this year, depending on where we end up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    don't forget AV, sutton, feiler and i'm not sure about avery williamson, conner, berry, wormley. :cool:

4. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Maximum of 4, AV will get us one, but he is 30+, and won't be signing a huge contract. Can't see us letting both Sutton and Hilton walk, although we may not have a choice. A lot is going to ride on what Ben decides to do with his contract.

5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I read somewhere that the Steelers might be in line for 4 comps next year including 2 3s. At this point it is all conjecture as there are still only 32 comps distributed and I believe that includes those given out for hiring minority coach's from another team to an advanced position (say OL coach to Off coordinator)...I may be wrong on this, but have never read anywhere where they have expanded the 32 max comp pick allotment.

While acquiring picks is never a bad thing, I believe you can really only look at what you have this year and go from there. Trying to do business for next year with unknown projections is just folly.

Also traditionally under Colbert they do not trade future picks. It has been done, but rarely and for specific purposes for a player they really like.

6. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    Logic says that if we lose everything posssible, we'll get picks for Dupree, Juju, AV, and Hilton. We'll lose more, but those 4 will be the highest contracts, and the other ones we'll lose will be offset by what we sign.
    That being said, with the salary cap situation being what it is, AV will drop as no one is going to pay top dollar for an older tackle, even one who can play left tackle and doesn't miss games (well, Philly, maybe), and Juju isn't going to command what he might have in another year. Dupree and Hilton will get paid.

And I agree about trading future picks, although the last two years we've been throwing 5th rounders away like they're confetti. And there was that first rounder......

7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I was also thinking about this. We are going to get some serious comp picks in 2022.

If there is a guy we like this year, a JOK, or Jaelan Phillips or Darrishaw, I don't hesitate to move our 2022 3rd round pick to move up.

Ultimately, I'd like to see us make a deal with the Raiders to get to #17.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That draft capital maybe needed
    next year when we aquire the NC QB:hehehe: