1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Does any coach prepare worse for playoff games?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Feb 19, 2021.

1. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Imagine a player treating a problem like this as a joke under Belichick.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...-danny-smith-gum-chewing/stories/201912120115

2. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    What caused the pick six? The terrible OL was unable to protect Ben on a long developing passing play and he was hit as he threw it.

TOs are a symptom, not a cause.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Pouncey was injured, they had to play a backup center in that game, you're just cherry picking situations to fit your narrative :facepalm:.

4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The players on the field need to execute, the coaches can't hold their hand and walk them through the plays :shrug:.

5. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    You're making my point for me. The Steelers were down their best OL and didn't adjust. Just saying "next man up" might make you weak in the knees, but it's not good coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Good coaches put their players in position to succeed. Do you think when they're doing that when they ask Robert Spillane to cover Jarvis Landry, or Eric Ebron to block Chase Young?

Or do you blame the players for "not executing"?

7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They're backups for a reason, of course there will be a drop off in play, you expect Minkah's backup to play as good as him :facepalm:?

8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Oh I understand extremely well what a fraud your beloved coach is. And now I fully understand that you are nothing more than a sycophantic Mike Tomlin apologist. Thanks for revealing that about yourself.

Let me school you BRO. It's called accountability. And when you are the person in charge, you are accountable for ensuring that your people are prepared to execute the mission and perform the duties they are responsible for.

ALL of the whiny BS in your response only serves to further strengthen my case that Tomlin-coached squads are too often NOT prepared to execute. And in 14 years of this playing out way too many times, it is painfully obvious to anyone who isn't blinded by Tomlin spouting meaningless cliches and using smoke and mirrors to confuse weak-minded people. Players execute better when they are prepared, when there is an effective game plan in place, when they are not too overconfident, when they aren't just mailing it in because they have superior talent, when the coaches are capable of adjusting the approach to what the opposition is giving and showing you.

Tomlin and his staff don't do these things well to prepare and he has proven it for 14 years now. I'm not going to waste my time going game by game to show you because it has been well chronicled over the years and you refuse to see it anyways because you have obviously been blinded by Tomlin's bullsh!t. Tomlin gets outcoached on a regular basis and what success he has achieved is based on the pure talent of his players. Brute force instead of coaching to get the best from your people.

When you are the leader, you are accountable and responsible when your squad doesn't do what they are supposed to do. It comes with the territory. No amount of apologist whining changes that fact.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree. Even though I like Tomlin . Wonder what that says about me. Hahaha.

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I like Tomlin as well , but I no longer believe his BS .He is a players Coach and that could be fine if he had the right staff under him...We are going to fix short yardage I have heard for years , I see very little scheme changes , player changes or play calling to believe in it ...I know some of you guys think im crazy , but at least insert your running QB some, run different formations, use PA throw it from that set then run it from same play , insert a big DT or OT at FB , go Powerhouse, use Power I , Wildcat , I could go on until next season, but the point is they talk and take little action and I for one would like to see action even if it doesn't work..

Try something Do something stop talking ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Sad that I know this but I suffered through it. He took the Eagles to 4 straight NFCCG. He was 1-3 in those games.

• Like Like x 1
  12. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Liking or not liking a person isn't the point. Its about results and competency doing a job. He isn't meeting the expectations for performance. The past 4 years specifically, have been a steady decline and full of failures. The Tomlin fan club keeps heaping the blame on Roethlisberger. Why would an effective HC allow a single player to run the show? The answer is that an effective HC would not allow that. So, either way, Tomlin is responsible.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Sounds like a great name for a rock band :dancing::guitarplayer::clap::hardrock:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Right, so why don't they scheme around it?

15. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I'm pretty sure final score is the last word on the outcome of a game.

As for the rest, of course the head coach can't be held responsible for every single action on the field. But they are accountable for the planning/preparation/schemes/packages employed. Substandard performance here can lead to low percentage situations where players in turn fail and games can be lost. Players bring talent and execution; coaches develop the talent and put the players in situations they're most likely to succeed in as a team.

Tomlin isn't responsible for every action on the field. That would be silly. But he can be held to scheme and package where players/team are put in situations more likely to fail than succeed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You can scheme all you want, if a player isn't that good it doesn't matter :shrug:.

17. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    When the players turn the ball over 5 times the team is going to lose the game the large majority of the time regardless of any other factors ie planning/preparations/schemes/packages/ final scores ect. That's just the impact that turnovers have on the outcome of games.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    It’s utterly amazing people still defend this guy. After every season I say we will have the exact convo at the end of next year! And like clockwork here is that conversation!!!!

19. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    I don't think you understand my point. Why ask Spillane to cover WRs? Why ask Ebron to block All Pro DEs? We all know they can't, so eliminate those responsibilities from them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    If a player is not that good, why are they on the field? If they are on the field because there are no other choices, who is responsible for that? The coach or the player?

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They're on the field because of injuries, the GM is responsible if there are no other choices to put on the field.

22. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Not to be argumentative, but I just can't buy that players who aren't very good are only on the field because of an injury. For instance, who was injured that allowed Edmunds to play? My point is that its the coaches who are supposed to find ways to maximize the capabilities of whoever is on the field and take advantage of the skills they have and minimize areas their deficient in. I just don't think we do a good job of that and the schemes we use, to my eyes, rarely change regardless of who is on the field. We have some new coaches and I am hoping they have a clue in how to come up with a plan. JMO>

23. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    No you don't understand organizations or team sports if you simply lay all of the blame on Tomlin. I could see if the team were incompetent the majority of the time that Tomlin was the HC. Ie Gase with the Jets as one example.

The team never fell off from the expectation of competing for a championship under Tomlin regardless of multiple factors that happened on the field (Ben's loss, injuries, other players loss ect).

I never suggested that Tomlin was perfect or didn't have any blame. However, he isn't as terrible as you seem to believe. You are not going to find a perfect HC. Only one HC has a better track record since Tomlin became the HC of the Steelers. That HC probably had the greatest QB of all time leading the charge and covering for the organization's deficiencies most seasons. A lot of quality, "flash in the pan" have come and gone since Tomlin became HC of the Steelers.

Tomlin helped this organization win over 224 games, make it to 2 Superbowls, and make the playoffs 9 out of 14 seasons. Sorry Bro but I don't trust your judgement that Tomlin is a "fraud" at this point in his career.

Tomlin is ONLY accountable to his bosses. You know what? I actually watched the games. I got a clear idea where the deficiencies were. The reality is that Tomlin had little control over injuries, lack of quality RB play, Oline decline/performance, execution by the players, and most importantly the decision making and poor play from the most important position in football. Now if you care to break down the game plan and where it failed I am all ears. I will bet that the execution of the plan is what failed the coaches. That's what we can witness and analyze.

But hey, I am a hack fan. I don't have any control over "accountability". I perform my own job at a high level. That being said I am not perfect. No one is perfect.

I am not a chronic complainer like yourself. I am an individual that finds MORE comfort in attempting to analyze the reasons why the team didn't win a championship. I know what turnovers mean to the out come of games regardless of any factors. In the last 2 playoff appearances the Steelers are I believe -7 in the turnover category. Mostly because of the players. Ain't going to win many game in the regular season or playoffs with -7 turnover ratio.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Tomlin doesn't...He put Dotson on the Bench for the Playoff game when Feiler came back... So you bench your best Lineman ( and he was the best ) on an OL that was pitiful, to play a guy who pretty much stunk all year..THAT is one of the MANY reasons Tomlin is a fraud and a clown...Who does that!

25. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    You can have an opinion. Edmunds wasn't as bad as some fans claim. Now the OLINE had multiple injuries that limited their ability to play well from a continuity perspective.

Should we get into the LB situation that the Steelers had to deal with this season? The Steelers were in desperation mode to fill the hole at ILB this season. Eventually loss Dupree for the season.

Units can overcome an injury or two. When several injuries happen to units it's difficult to over come at the professional level. Add dealing with COVID situation and potentially lack of practice time and how do teams adjust? No one's ever experienced a situation like COVID. Every team had to deal with COVID. I don't believe every team had to deal with the same extent of injury.