1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben is returning to the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 23, 2021.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep he might want to try and get a gig for another Team..To many spots to be field and Ben is going to take all the money so even when he does leave Matt will not have a solid Team to Coach.When Ben is the QB then he is really the OC maybe Matt can get a part time gig at a HS so he can actually work on his scheme..

2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Art II said he wants Ben back but the contract details still have to be worked out. What if Ben and his agent don't like the terms?

I guess pay him 5 this season and stretch it out for 3 more years. And what if he wants to return? The situation is not over yet.

On the hook for 22,250,000. Then the remainder 19,000,000 in which he is owed.

The saga will continue until they have a final number and agreement.

3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We had a really good OL and a good running game a few years ago when Bell was here. So there’s the answer to your question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    That is a ridiculous decision on the FO and Colbert. Mediocre people and team.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Of course, I think you're right on this but the frustrating part is/ was those last two games and what it said (to me) about each QB. What I saw was a sign that the torch should be passed on to the younger more agile athlete now and not trying to get a nearly 40 yr old another try with a God knows what OL (and no run game) that could get him killed or resumption of the dink and dunk bs vs our new OC's offense. Kicking the can down the road is wrong at this time with all the other issues being dealt with. In other words, what the hell are we waiting for? I mean really waiting for. How competitive does anyone think we can be next season without some good players that are leaving due to the cap and knowing how we did the final 6 games of the year? I just don't understand the strategy that's going on right now so I'll just try and be patient and read what others think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The D sucked in that time . Of course you know that. Also Bell played like what 2 playoff games the whole time he was here. He was hurt all the other ones, or has everyone forgot that.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    By all means base your future on what you seen in 2 games. I like Rudolph. I think they will keep him. He will be cheap right now. Nobody else wants him. IMO

8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    FWIW even Landry Jones was signed by the Jags. So somebody would gladly take him. And another year having to wait behind Ben he might just say screw this and bail.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I honestly think Colbert is probably the sane one here and his hand is being forced from above.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    I'll split a hair or two. My perspective is a little different, not challenging what you're saying.

Does Ben give us a better chance of winning? Ben has the ability to do things no qb on our roster can. He has command of this offense and, obviously, experience that no qb we could field can touch. So yeah, in any individual game, he's better.

But this isn't, and shouldn't be, about individual games. A season, IMO, is more than the sum of all the games. It is a progression. You need to be better in December than in September. And over a season, Mason/Haskins/etc. gives us a better upside. They allow our offense to be dynamic and unpredictable. They can perform under any formation. They have no limitations that handcuff our offense other than experience. Do they need to get better? Do they need to hone their craft? Absolutely. But either of them makes us a more dangerous team down the stretch. They make us a more consistent team. Maybe they aren't going to set any records, but they will allow us to grow and compete and maybe see the team rally around them. They give us a better chance at relevance than Ben, not in the regular season, but beyond it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Seven4Steel

Seven4Steel Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2020
    We have no running game because of the line and the gameplan. Better line play and better coaching will fix the running game. One of them has to be addressed in the draft and the other, well, who knows.

12. SWSteel

SWSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Larger issue the QB doesn't want to run the ball. The OL was/is long in the tooth n in need of upgrades across the board. Hard to get in a rhythm as ol when you run ball 19 times on average last half of year

An RPO is a PPO to nnbr 7 period

They can draft 3 stud ol men n a R, but if he comes to LOS and sees what he WANTS to see n checks to passes it won't matter, IMHO

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Exactly. Leave it up to Ben, he absolutely would have no problem having the pass/run ratio at 70/30 or worse.

14. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Rudolph has no footwork and seems skinny.

But he’s crazy enough.

15. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Yep. And Landry's second contract with the Steelers was 2-year, 4.4M. Even if Rudolph doesn't take a snap next year it's probably going to cost quite a bit more than that to keep him since he'll want something closer to starter money.

The worst case scenario is if Ben gets hurt and MR plays say 4 games and looks good. Then he's going to command pretty big money with very little track record. If he craps the bed in those 4 games you're still going to pay backup money for a guy who you have no clue what he's really about.

I guess they could a) sign him to a new contract before the season or b) have already decided to let him go after the season or c) think Haskins is the guy.

None of those sound very appealing TBH.

16. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Well, if the team finishes 8-8 over 17 games I'll be a little stumped no matter how Ben plays.

Kidding aside, IMHO the decision to entertain bringing Ben back is due at least partly to granting a franchise great a last wish before riding off. I don't know that he's expecting a Super Bowl finale, but I don't think there's any way Ben can accept his career ending the way last season did, particularly the Browns game. Those details likely fade with time for most, but I imagine not as readily for the player.

I don't expect any miracles out of Ben physically, but I don't think the FO does either. I do think they have a better idea of his capabilities that we do, and see him as giving the team the same shot at wins as Rudolph or a veteran stopgap. I don't buy too much into the championship talk from these releases. While I think they want/view a team that challenges for a playoff run, they saw how last season ended as well. There are some major issues to address, many on the offensive side. While I haven't seen enough of Canada's offense to speak on how much Ben might limit it, I think it starts being implemented regardless (i.e., Ben will have to give as much as he gets).

As for the money side, Ben's return holds $19M in the balance. I think Rooney's decision here is more kind than stupid. Many are interpreting it as him believing they are legitimate SB contenders with Ben. I see it more as Rooney being willing to parting with $19M so a former franchise player can put a better finish to a career. If he felt Ben's continuing on to be absolutely detrimental I think he'd be having a different conversation - both for the team and for Ben's sake. I can sympathize with this.

That said, I don't want to see young talent lost as collateral damage. Aside from a flat-out salary reduction (which I don't think would be approved by the NFLPA) the FO will have to fan out that $19M, likely looking at ~$6M each of the next three years. Dupree is likely too expensive to keep either way, JuJu is on the bubble. But I think they should keep at least one of Hilton and Sutton, if not both. And then there's the depth. A lot of moving pieces.

I have to hope Rooney has kept in close contact with Colbert/Kahn on the ramifications and possibilities. While I don't think keeping Ben is an absolute albatross to the team, there's no denying they're at the end of an era. With only 17 players under contract in 2022, they are going to need be very savvy to identify, develop, and retain talent via draft and FA over the next two years in order to avoid a full-blown rebuilding phase.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think you mean Dobbs, last I heard, Landry was in the XFL.

Rudolph is going no where and Steelers don’t have to address it until after this season. If the Steelers want to bring him back I see them having little difficulty doing so since Rudolph is in line to start with Ben gone. Where else would he get that opportunity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Jones was signed for like a month by the Jags as a roster spot because of injury to Bortles. Doesn't really count I guess so you're right.

19. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Sounds like a case of Tail Wagging The Dog.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't know what Canada's offense is going to look like, I doubt it will be similar to Fichtner's dink and dunk offense.

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's exactly what I was trying 2 say. You just do it better apparently.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I don't see Ben controlling much.

23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    You're right, his offense may be a complete trainwreck we just don't know. But I would prefer a QB who can actually run it to its fullest. Ben's lost accuracy on the long ball does not help.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    From above? Like from God?

• Like Like x 1
  25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Lol I was waiting for someone to make that comparison.

And God said...resign Ben Roethlisberger.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1