1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Ben is returning to the Steelers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    If Ben can get his knees healthy so we don't run 99.44% of our plays out of the shotgun (I'm convinced that was a large part of our running woes) and starts playing like this is his last chance, so leave nothing on the field instead of playing not to get hurt, he won't be the albatross some make him out to be.

But even if he plays at a 2008 level, it'll mean squat if the line doesn't get fixed and our running game sucks.

I hope he does well. But this feels like kicking the can down the road.

But good news to our conspiracy minded folks: If we can get JJ also, the media has a plethora of "stories" to push for the Steelers in the dance. ;)

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope his salary allows for the Steelers to compete, that being said 10 million
    for next year would be too much to pay him. he has been well compensated by the Steelers
    thruout his career, it is time for him to help them out.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    :facepalm:

4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Winning what?

Blast they will be paying Ben way after he is gone unfortunately. I to would like to see a pay cut as well but I don't feel that will happen.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Same **** we hear every offseason about him the last 5 years.

• Agree Agree x 7
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    So the 2022 season this team will have no QB's!

Rudolph will be gone. Ben will be gone. This is not a positive situation and now I feel with bring Ben back they may just trade up to get a QB.

I would have rolled with Mason and see where the cards fall. Another 8-8, 9-7 season is not going to cut it.

I appreciate what Ben has done for the franchise but it's over. Let the retirement tour start...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Even for an athlete that's completely healthy with no recent major injury history there's very little, if any at all, reason to believe they'll improve at age 39. What little chance there is essentially vanishes for a guy who isn't exactly known as a workout fiend.

Let's be real here. He's still capable of moments of brilliance, but any expectation of sustained top level play over 17+ games is just not realistic. His play dropped off dramatically as the season went on which is precisely what one would expect for any 38 year old. To think he can reverse that as a 39 year old is a pipe dream, imo.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    sounds like what i had said in another thread about his salary. 3 years and most of this years turned into signing bonus. just under 6 mil. for 2022 and 2023. we save just under 12 mil towards the cap this year and spread it out the remainder over the next two. now, we are currently just over 19 mil over the cap so with his 12 mil say, we are still 7 + mil still over, after mcdonald, pouncey, the roll over and i believe heywards restructure. they are talking doing tuitt as well which would be about 4 mil more, leaving us around 3 mil over still.

vince? thats 4 mil. that would put us in compliance. we still need some additional cuts. samuels? would be near 1 mil.. still not enough. gilbert maybe? another 1mil. i don't see too many of these just sign sutton back dollars available. not too many more ways we can go since most guys are in their final seasons. DD, okrafor, mason, haden, nelson, ebron. the bad part of this is we are pushing ben like numbers into the future with heyward and tuitt. it will be interesting going forward. :cool:

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  9. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    You’re right. We probably should’ve cut him after his 5000/34/16 season in 2018.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    actually ben will still be under contract for 22-23. i expect we may pick up an UDFA out of this group this year to stash on the PS. next year it may be easier to sign mason back at a backup number instead of starter. similar to what we did with landry. he then may become the starter while we look to draft next year. just my thoughts on it. i don't think we draft one now this year. :cool:

11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I think Rudolph will re-sign for a year on a cheap prove it deal if he knows he will get an opportunity to play. There should also be plenty of free agent QB’s like Dalton, Taylor, Brissett knocking around the league and they can tender Haskins as well if he makes the team this year and shows something.

Presumably they will draft somebody this year or next. I don’t watch college ball but but all accounts the 2022 class does not look especially good at this stage, that can change of course.

12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Would you be willing to voluntarily take a pay cut at your job? Ben might but I'm sure he's looking at getting as much as he can out of the contract that the Steelers initially agreed to. I know I would and I'm sure his agent is looking out for his best financial interest also.

13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Hey! You can't steal the Chargers tag line like that!

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

i kind of agree now with the not drafting one this year. i think we may pickup an UDFA that is left out of this group. maybe even book from notre dame if he drops that far. mason gets re-signed to more of a landry jones type signing after this season. we would have a guy that is at least in the pipeline as an UDFA on the PS for a year. possibly more. there are some pretty decent QBs that may not get drafted this year. they are not our next franchise guy but may be our next mason rudolph. :cool:

15. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    I wouldn’t be picking one high anyway, unless they luck in to somebody they like. Ben is almost certainly coming back and it’s a blank canvas then after 2021. They could spend years cycling through different guys at QB or they might get lucky somehow. We will have to wait and see.

16. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Exactly.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    The alternative is to admit you're not a contender now and start planning for the future now instead of kicking the can down the road yet again. This whole franchise is allergic to change I swear.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    just getting through this season is also creating problems down the road too, even if the cap rises we will still be paying for kicking the can on ben and tuitt and heyward. this draft and UDFA/PS guys that can play will be really important. we need some gems to come out of this. at least at spots that are not premium positions. :cool:

19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    And how did we end up that year? Same as this year (interception riddled playoff game) and likely next year and that's if we're extremely lucky with or without Ben.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Just like Tomlin, regular season champion, the stats are all that matters to some people.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Their cap situation after 2021 improves a lot, they can probably afford to kick some money out to be fair. 2021 is a bit of a nadir with a lot of prorated money maturing at the same time.

Id agree the next two drafts are absolutely critical. Mainstays like Pouncey, Villanueva, Haden, Decastro and obviously Ben will all be moving on very soon. The Steelers are old and expensive at several key positions, they need to draft young players to underpin the team going forward.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm not so sure 2021 improves a lot. heyward now is 22 plus million. tuitt will be near that as well. ben 5 plus. we only have like 24 players signed beyond this year. those 3 will account for near 50 million towards the cap then. thats a big chunk of change for having to sign 29 players and make TJ an offer. :cool:

23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    In other news, Tampa may be considering an extension to sh*thead. What is it going to take to make this ahole go away?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    As long as it does not cost us anything in 2022, 2023, or 2024!!!

25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Oh it will

• Agree Agree x 2