1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Does any coach prepare worse for playoff games?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Feb 19, 2021.

1. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    That's what you got out of that? It's always the SAME people criticizing Tomlin for the SAME things. For YEARS now. All the "Lombardis" on here complain about Tomlin not changing anything yet, use the same old arguments against him. Critiquing him is one thing but, face it, there are some here who wouldn't give him credit if we won the SB every year!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He gets the criticism because he has earned it. And it is the same old criticisms because NOTHING ever changes with Tomlin and his inability to have his squad prepared. I mean seriously bro, the sh!tty results speak for themselves. And looking at the talent on the field, that is just frustrating as hell. Underachievement is the hallmark of Tomlin-coached squads. If you see that differently, well then, I guess we just don't agree.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Does anyone prepare worse for playoff game? Yes, Joe Buck and Troy Aikman booze it up in the booth.

• Like Like x 2
  4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't see it differently but, since you and I can't do anything about it, I prefer not to ***** incessantly about something I have no control over. If NOTHING ever changes with Tomlin, the same is true about his critics

• Like Like x 1
  5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Glad to hear we agree on Tomlins ineptitude. I'm ok with people airing their gripes about Tomlin on here even if it has been said already. People gotta get it out. It's like therapy, man.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    But you can say that about pretty much any topic on this board. Obviously us fans don't have control of anything that goes on in this franchise.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Yet, I can't think of any other topic that gets brought up as much. Even in threads that have nothing to do with Tomlin!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    If the fans ran the franchise we would have Jackson, Wentz, at QB, about 5 other 100 million dollar players, be 300 million over the cap, no draft picks for the next 3 years and about 20 players under contract.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Now do Ben's turnovers in all those playoff games, of course you won't because it doesn't fit your narrative.

10. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Since you seem to lack the ability to listen or understand the difference between preparation and execution you need to be schooled. It's not about the talent on the field. It's about how the talent on the field performs. Oh yeah the other teams in the NFL have talent too.

Let me school you bro. The large majority of times a team turns the ball over 2, 3, 4, or 5 times in the playoffs that team is going to lose the game. That's regardless of any other factors like scores, great defensive performance, ect.

Those turnover stats pretty much hold true for the regular season. Go research the Steelers turnover ratio in their last 2 playoff games. The answer will be clear for you why the team loss. Regardless of defense, final scores, or another other factors turnovers generally decide the out come of games more than any other factor. That being said, there are always anomalies.

The Steelers didn't play well enough to overcome the anomalies in their last two playoff games. Most teams can't over come the anomalies the majority of the time. Listen to coaches and players. Study the data. You will reach this conclusion about turnovers.

In recent history the Steelers only won one playoff game where they loss the turnover battle by 1. I believe the only reason they won that game is because the Jets FG kicker didn't execute when needed.

It's easier to blame the HC for everything than to analyze the reasons why the team loss.

11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    You have to admit though Tomlin doesn't fix the things that get complained about very often.

12. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    But it is the responsibility of the HC to have the team focused on the details, even the little ones, like snapping in the shotgun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Was this supposed to be in green (honest question)?

• Like Like x 1
  14. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Why do you think it should or shouldn't be (honest question)?

15. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Like many on the board I just ask the questions and let others do the answering, lol.

16. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Are you Ask Questions Later's brother? Did I do this correctly?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Pouncey has been a center for a long time, I can’t put his bad snap on Tomlin nor can I put Bens refusal to fall on the ball and 4 interceptions on him.

I can put the defense looking flat and getting shredded on Tomlin, I can put starting Feiler over Dotson on him, I can put starting Spillane when he clearly wasn’t ready on him.

This idea that Tomlin has no responsibility for the teams failures is absurd.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The Monotones.

19. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Didn't Minkah Fitzpatrick say that the defense was basically the same against every team while Miami game planned for each individual team?

20. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Considering Miami's record while Minkah was there and the Steelers record I'm not sure what that says.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agree for the most part, but to me Pouncey has been making too many bad snaps for a couple of years and Tomlin has to see this and should of fixed this. Heck even our bad back up center had better accuracy on the snaps. Tomlin is not one for details. Said it before, Tomlin does not have any accountability like most coaches in the NFL.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  22. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah because the HC can control snapping in the shotgun :facepalm:.

23. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Already been addressed. Kordell stunk in the 1997 NE playoff game, but the D came ready to play and bailed him out. Tomlin's Steelers stunk in all three phases in these games. They're totally unprepared. They're totally flat.

The Pats ran a flea-flicker in the 2016 AFCC that Mike Mitchell said they didn't see on tape. It was run a few weeks earlier by NE. Belichick was asked how they prepared for the Steelers?

They watched every single play they ran all season.

This goes back to Noll saying you don't motivate by being a cheerleader, you motivate by preparing your players to be successful. Are players look scared in these games, IMO because they know they're not prepared.

24. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Turnovers are a symptom, not a cause. The Steelers didn't cause any because Cleveland adjusted their game plan and got the ball out of Mayfield's hands quickly. That little change caught the Steelers flat-footed and they failed to adjust the entire game.

The Browns forced several because they stacked everyone in close and forced long yardage by shutting down the run game, and tight window throws in predictable passing situations, throws that if off slightly, would be in the neighborhood of several defenders. Everyone was doing this to the Steelers since about week 10 and they never adjusted.

Why couldn't the Steelers come out with a different game plan to catch the Browns flat-footed? Instead, they tell their 6 blockers to beat 8 or 9 and blame them when they fail.

You grossly underestimate coaching and preparation. "Beat your man, want it more" is not coaching, it's cheerleading.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    BS, you posted the 2010 Green Bay loss Ben threw 2 ints in the first half, including a pick six, they lost the Super Bowl because they had 3 turnovers and Green Bay had none. Did the defense bail them out in the 1997 and 2001 AFCCG when Kordell stunk :facepalm:?