1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Russell Wilson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Feb 9, 2021.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I posed the question as to is he. I never stated he was. All I was stating is that given how unusual he has collapsed in the second half the past three seasons, giving up that much for even someone like Russell Wilson would give me pasue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    You are exactly right. Wilson holds the ball for longer than almost anybody in the league, that’s a good part of the reason he gets sacked so much. He is a decent scrambler but he doesn’t have the elusiveness of Murray or Lamar so he spends far more time on the ground than he has to.

I don’t think Pittsburgh would suit him and his hot celeb wife either. New York or Chicago perhaps, maybe even Boston would be better

3. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Fair enough. I don't think he's overrated at all, and as I said, the stats don't really indicate the 3 year trend that you're seeing. This year for sure, but not the 2 prior. I think last year, he threw for 20 less yards per game between the 1st half and 2nd half. TD's were similar. There were some numbers that were down a bit last year, but nothing significant. The one number that stood out to me was sacks. He got sacked a lot more in the 2nd half last year compared to the 1st half. His yards per attempt was down too, which also likely indicates he had far less time to throw. Perhaps there was an Oline injury of some kind.

In 2018, his yards were down a small amount in the 2nd half, but most of his other numbers were higher. 15 less yards per game, but higher TD, lower INT, higher QBR, that just doesn't paint a picture of a guy who went ice cold.

With that said, I see what you're saying. If it takes 3 1st's, is he worth it? For our team as it stands now, I would say no. I wouldn't want the Steelers to trade for him. I don't see us as being able to compete the next few years, with or without Wilson. We have too many holes. Now if we were on the verge of winning it all but the only thing holding us back was an aging and immobile Ben, then I would say yes, lets do it

4. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I'd call right now and offer Rudolph and a 4th

5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Sounds like he would fit right in here.

6. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I'd rather take Wentz if we were to go the trade route. Wilson will cost way too much draft capital at 32 years old. We would probably give up at least 3 firsts and possibly more based on what Stafford garnered, meaning that we would be severally hamstrung building a contender until Wilson was 36-37 years old.

Wentz can be had for at worst 1 first, I would say less for to better leverage and put performance. Although I in no way feel Wentz is better than Wilson, I do strongly believe Wentz is better than his performance last year. With injuries, bad coaching and poor roster management, he was significantly misused with literally had no weapons, his main receiver was Travis Fulgham for about 6 weeks.

Sometimes it's not always getting the best player, but getting a good to potentially great player for a bargain so you have talent to place around them. Extra bonus, now supposedly Zack Ertz wants to be packaged with Wentz in a trade. Talk about killing two birds with one stone!

7. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Greatest. F'up. Ever.

• Like Like x 3
  8. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Colts are going to pay a king's ransom for Wentz. The Steelers aren't and never were in the running. Especially when they still can't make up their minds on Ben yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So are the Colts just going 2 keep getting another teams castoff year after year??

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Seems like.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Kinda makes me wonder how much confidence they have in Jacob Eason. In terms of arm talent and arm strength, even among the likes of Justin Herbert, he was the best of his class. The major reason he fell was due to him being not nearly as mobile and so raw in many facets of his game. That said, after watching the likes of Phillip Rivers, I wonder if Frank Reich would spin the wheel on him. He and Ballard did draft him after all.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Pittsburgh isn't going to kick the tires on Russell Wilson, DeShaun Watson or Carson Wentz, even if Ben retires. They do not have the money, period. They'll bring in a couple of free agent camp arms and that's about it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If the Bears get Wentz, this makes Trubiski disposable. What’s everyone take on Trubiski? He can be on fire at times and ice cold other times.

14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Depends on how much this disposable QB costs. Trubiski has infinitely more sample size that's positive than the temporary Rd #1 bust Haskins ever will, but again, $$$$. Other than Big Ben, whom MT inherited, who are the best QB's that MT did bring aboard and does that give anyone confidence that he (and KC) do a good job in selecting QB's? Mason is still an unknown until they give him the reigns for a season but having a 5-3 record LY (and the CLE game TY) is promising with who he's had to work with. Who else, Landry Jones? Were we ever really trying to acquire a true franchise heir to Ben or just decent backups for a decade?

15. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Trubisky sucks. These Qbs floating around the rumor mill all either suck or cost more than they're worth in draft capital and salary. Mason or a veteran FA pickup will bridge the gap between Ben and a draft pick. Just accept it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't think they were ever serious about it. Believe they will be now. Also Drafting a Great Qb, and not a flash in the pan....well...It's looks like not the easiest of positions 2 draft. Look at all the busts.

17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He reminds me of a pale and slower Kordell. :eek:

18. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Agree. Except for the the point about Mason. That dude couldn't bridge the gap between Dees nuts.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I agree, I feel that the trade market is just too crazy so we are not going to go that route, I was just saying in the slim chance we go that route.

I feel that it really isn't the minds of Steeler's brass to decide, it's Ben's. They really put themselves between a rock and a hard place given his contact since they lose either way. They either have to cut him and eat $22 million or keep him and get continued regression and probably bounced in the playoffs or worse. The only surefire certainty is that they can't afford to pay him $41 million, if he won't restructure he will be cut, if he does he will stay in the team.

I really never understood giving him that kind of cap number. Ben was never one to keep himself conditioned to prolong his career so this should have been anticipated. I appreciate all Ben has done but this is a business and he is close to if not already done.

20. Phant

Phant New Member

Nov 2, 2020
    I do not think two second round picks is anywhere NEAR a kings ransom for Wentz. I would be very pro-Wentz. I would even consider giving up our first round pick this year for Wentz if we could keep the second for next year and pickup something like a 3rd from the Eagles.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hell no. LoL. :smiley1:

22. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    How are the Steelers going to pay Wentz? Philly would have to agree to eat an obscene amount of his contract for a Wentz trade to even make sense. Don't see it happening. Beyond that, if he has issues with his mechanics, is Mike Sullivan the guy to rehab him? Or was he just a flash in the pan? I could see the Steelers taking a swing at him if he is released outright, but I guarantee a QB starved team will trade for him and any team would be stupid to pass on draft capital. Again, it's just a question of how much, if any of his salary Philly is willing to choke on.

• Like Like x 1
  23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Wentz sucked last season, I wouldn't trade for him with that big contract he has.

• Like Like x 1
  24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    No need to worry about that anymore.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Sorry not into giving up a kings ransom for Wilson. Or Watson.