1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JJ Watt release, let fan theories begin!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
  2. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Green Bay is $28M over the current projected $180M cap. Technically the Steelers are in better shape if you factor the McDonald and Pouncey retirements (~$17M over).

Not that that means the Steelers should/could entertain him. Depending on what Watt is looking for they could probably make numbers work, but IMO it would be the wrong move. Watt can still be a contributor, but is entering his twilight years. The Steelers need to focus their resources on retaining/acquiring quality younger players and addressing areas of greater need: OL, TE, RB, DB.

Signing Watt would feel a bit like buying a 2015 Mustang when you're about to spend the year in Wisconsin - it'll still have some pep and the girls' heads will turn, but ultimately it's not the best bang for your buck.

3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He wants to win a Championship now.
    Can't blame him if he doesn't want to come to Pittsburgh.
    Too many questions for the next 2 years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    You won't win a championship here anytime soon so I hope he doesn't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey unclueblue012 and Everyone else.

This is how i see the JJ Watt situation possibly unfolding.

IMO, these are probably the factors in Least to Greatest “Influencing” order.

• Money: According to the Sports’ Talk Shows that should not be an issue. He should be set there.
    • Championship: He does not have one. Thus, he would want to play for a “Contender” if that is his desire as his playing career time is probably on “Borrowed Time” per se. Probably 2-4 years maybe. Four may be stretching it. Some were “jocking” K.C. Some here, again have already written us off for next season.

Again, IMO, we should be "Contenders" next season unlike some of the negative nellies here who are constantly spewing Doom and Gloom. I mean the same ones who had to put an asterisk next to each win that we had when we were 11-0. I really think that those folks actually got some satisfaction of our "Meltdown" and I am not talking about the trolls. Unbelievable.
    • Family: One has to ask - “Does the idea of teaming up with this brother(s) intrigue him enough to join the Steelers?” TJ will be with us but not sure about Derek. Would it be enough for him to play with just TJ or would he need/want Derek to make it a “Deal Maker"? IMO, TJ would be enough to sway him on this as they would be on the field together in some instances. Nonetheless, the idea can go either way IMO but again, may be the most intriguing.
    Again, some fans get their hopes up for things like “Hometown Discounts” and “Playing with Family”. However, and more often than not from what I have observed, it rarely pans out.

I get the “Sentimentalism” factor when these situations arise. However, it seems more often than not, that these situations do not come to fruition and it is the fans more so than the players that are “buying” into these ideas. They sound good in theory and would possibly make wonderful stories in some instances but remember these are grown men and it is a business.

And.... whether these guys are financially set as stated about JJ, I still think money is the main “Driving Force” IMO. I do however still think that playing with family is the most influential factor for JJ to come here. Given that, I do not think the same "emotional" factors come into play with grown men and the N.F.L. Keep in mind, this it is not like playing on the same Pop Warner football team with your brother.

In conclusion, yes, I would like to see JJ in a Steelers' uniform. For the sole reason that I think he would be an asset to our Team.

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Never is a man more generous than he is with another man's money.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This story is so full of crap, its hard to take it seriously. Since its from the Brown Stain Digest and written by your typical ESPN media stooge, I have to take caution about his saying "he was told" that JJ didn't want to come to Pittsburgh. Really? Who was it that told him that? This is how fake news starts with some deadline driven reporter throwing garbage out to appease his base or boss and not identifying his source to validate the report. Until its known who told him this, and its credible, this is a non story to me.
    On a side note, what was funny to me, even knowing what our situation is here in Pittsburgh, this Grossi scoundrel says its more "attractive" to go to Cleveland than Pittsburgh. Cleveland hasn't been attractive since the turn of the century (and before) and I don't care who is on their team right now. Someone needs to ask this reporter who is the current AFCN champ and if that is more attractive than a team that hasn't won anything for nearly as long as JJ has been alive?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    I'd love to see JJ in black and gold along with his brothers. However, given our cap situation, I'd rather we spend on someone like Williams Jackson Jr. at CB. It also addresses another area of need with Haden and/or Nelson possibly being cap casualties and we would get more bang for the buck

10. Tarasovic

Tarasovic Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
  11. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If they can't afford JJ, what makes you think they can afford Jackson?

13. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    What will come next, the "Wattage Wiener"

15. Jammasterc

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm hearing JJ is calling Brees daily.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 4
  17. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Please Steelers don't making this signing it would be a complete waste.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Maximum Wattage!!!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jammasterc

Oct 26, 2011
    Ugh that would really stink if he went to the Browns.
    That rumor is gaining some truth.

20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Steelers probably don't have the money, and the next best thing for him would to be able to play his brothers twice a year with Cleveland?

The more I think about it, the more I think he would be a great pick up for the Steelers. Initially, I didn't like the idea of him just being a rotational guy with Tuitt and Heyward, but what if they would stick him on the end as a replacement for Dupree?

The thing about our defense is ... if our starters aren't sound in run defense it falls apart quickly. Will Highsmith be able to hold the point of attack in year two? What if he gets hurt, we have no one? We probably need to being in a guy anyways?

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    "A complete waste" is a bit extreme. If he wants any decent amount of money I'd say "unrealistic" or "unlikely."

Signing Watt would be far from "a complete waste..."

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Dude you truly are just a miserable person.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  23. Jammasterc

Oct 26, 2011
    Steelers signing him and not Browns is a win.

Browns and Ravens constantly make moves to beat Steelers.
    Steelers rarely counter move.

• Like Like x 1
  24. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Lol really Glenn you of all people to make that accusation?

It would be a bad move because it would tie up money that is desperately needed elsewhere.

25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I mean I'm sure you could find something to do with him. But like one of the local sports guys said, defensive end is not an area of need for the Steelers. That's why it would be a waste.