1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JJ Watt release, let fan theories begin!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Feb 12, 2021.

1. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    How much less money would you take, so that you could work at the same place as your brothers? I’ll guess most people would say “not much”. I suspect JJ is one of those people.

2. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    JJ isn't playing no ILB at 6'5" #290

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    I think that's semantics...Most wouldn't take a pay cut from $100.000 to $50.000...

But with all the money he has made, Going from 10 million ( or whatever it was ) to 5 million, at this stage of his career, and all the money he has made... Probably isn't a Biggie

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but didn't Kirkland play at about that weight?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I do not see JJ being OK with being on the Bench.

Where ever he goes he will be a starter; are the Steelers will to get rid of one of their DEs? Who would be out Tuit or Heyward?

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Presumably if he did make his way to Pittsburgh he plays 3-4 DE in base with Tuitt going to nose. JJ has played this before and was the best in the NFL at it. In sub package he can play end in a three or four man front

With Bud and Alualu gone he would be a versatile asset and would not necessarily need to play every down. They need to find some depth along that line anyway.

The money / cap issue is a fair point and it’s the biggest reason he probably won’t come, but to say he wouldn’t fit the scheme or wouldn’t get on the field, sorry I just don’t understand where that is coming from. He lined up everywhere in Houston.

Regards money it depends what he wants, what the cap is etc. All the genuine contenders are short of cap space, nobody is going to throw a big contract at him at this stage and I doubt his next move will be determined primarily by money. If the Steelers really want him they can do a backloaded deal with a throwaway year at the end. They are swimming in cap room after 2021

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

People say stuff like this all the time. But just because people have made big money doesn’t mean they don’t want more. Warren Buffett has made more money than just about anyone in human history, he’s a million years old, and he’s still trying to make more. Closer to home, the Rooneys are worth a few billion. Do they give the taxpayers a break? NFW.

As Micheal Corleone said: “it isn’t personal, Sonny, it’s strictly business.”
    As Jj Watt will say: “Sure, Arty II, I’d love to play with my brothers, match this offer I got from the Packers, and I’ll sign right now.”

8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Why would you move Tuit to NT he is coming off his best season by far with 11 sacks; more than double what JJ did in 16 games last year!

I will take Tuit all day long in a battle for who is the Best DE on the Steelers with or without JJ in 2021. He picked up right where he left off in 2019.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Looney Tunes After Dark

• Like Like x 2
  10. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    He was listed at 6'1"#276...He was a big um

• Like Like x 1
  11. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    If he's cheap and if they don't have to reinvent the wheel to get him on the field, then I'm all for it. One intangible he brings is leadership, which is sorely lacking on this squad.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    They play about 30% of the snaps in base and I doubt many of Tuitts sacks came there as they are primarily run plays. Alualu is probably gone and they have no real NT. Just an idea as to how he can get on the field, Heyward could slide in to nose too, Davis as well. Guys are going to miss games with injuries etc. Any coach that’s worth a damn would find a role for a player like JJ. I’d only sign him if he was willing to do something very team friendly btw. I’m just countering the point that there would be no role for him

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Im all for it if the price is right. The guy can line up anywhere on the line. Veteran leader who demands instant respect. He would be awesome in a rotation. No brainer for me hope they can get it done.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Bills browns Titans Steelers trying to get JJ lol

15. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  16. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm guessing most people aren't setting on a 100 mil with game checks and endorsements at this stage of their career...

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't crucify me. But can't they convert JJ to OLB? Imagine Watt brothers bookends. Who are you going to double?

But yeah. We do NOT have JJ money. Wishful thinking.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I said that a while back on another post. It would be like running a 4- 3 at times. All I'm saying if the money was right, and he can stay healthy .
    U can find many uses 4 him than just rooting him in one spot.
    It damn sure could stop the putting TJ, or Bud from that rush we used with them rushing up the middle. I hated that play.
    I'm sure I'll get flak from the Troy was 2 small 4 his position, Kirkland was 2 big, and J. Harrison was 2 small 4 his position when we got them People.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Didn't Houston play a 4/3 though?

21. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    He started as a 3-4 DE under Wade Philips and was amazing. He is not the same player now obviously, but my point is that he can play anywhere, and like I said the Steelers spend 70% of their time in sub package, and that would probably increase if you had a player like JJ as well, you’d probably see a lot of four man looks with JJ, Tuitt, Heyward and TJ, if you are facing these front who do you block?

Having him on the roster at a reasonable cost would help manage the snaps all around, how many times last season did we see TJ, Cam and others tap out at crucial times because they were totally gassed. You can never have too many good players on that line. I don’t want to keep going on about it, I just think it’s daft to say they’d have no use for him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Feel good stories don't really win championships

See James Conner, like James, love the story, but the local guy beating cancer plays for local pro team, great story, but didn't really lead us to a Championship

So yeah it be cool to see JJ play with TJ and Derek, but is it really a move that gets the Steelers closer to the Super Bowl, no not really.

23. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    You're changing my mind on this.......

• Like Like x 2
  24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Exactly. I like JJ but he is suspect in availability and production at this point otherwise I'd think the Texans would have found some way to appease him. But then again, we're talking about the dumpster fire formerly known as the Texans, so who knows. If he were to make it here, I just hope it was for a business reason and, like you mentioned, not a feel good move.

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If any of those teams were to interest J.J., Green Bay and Cleveland would be the likeliest candidates. Both have the money and both could use some veteran leadership in their respective locker rooms. If anything, I can imagine Browns GM Andrew Berry doing so given the fact that beyond Larry Ogunjobi, there really is not much else depth wise there.