1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

JJ Watt release, let fan theories begin!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by uncblue012, Feb 12, 2021.

1. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Can he throw the ball?

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Let’s get these guys on the same field !! :hehehe:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    It's a feel good story and would be really cool to see him play with his brothers. And he is (was) a beast and I think still has a little more left in the tank.
    But Im trying to see where he'd fit in and I just can't find it. He's the same size and (roughly) age as Heyward and maybe a little better. He's a little smaller than Tuitt and probably a little better, but 4 years older. He's more injury prone than both. I definitely wouldn't replace either of those guys with Watt at this stage in his career.

Move him to DT? He doesn't have the body for it. Too tall, lean and athletic to be able to do the dirty work that the DT needs to do. Plus I doubt he'd want to play that position.

Move him to LB? Not Outside that's for sure. TJ is obviously on one side, but I wouldn't replace Highsmith for him on the other. Highsmith showed a lot of potential and I wouldn't risk the future by stunting his growth for a feel good story.

About the only place you could move him would be to Vince Williams spot. I honestly do not know enough to say for sure that he could transition in to the position, or if he'd even be willing to play it, but I'd rather stick with Vince this year and possibly have Avery Williams slide into that spot in the future.

I think at best he'd be good rotational depth on the D line. And if he'd play for peanuts as a back up is the only way that I think he'd be worth it. IMO he probably would love to play with both brothers, but when it comes down to it, he's going to want to be a starter on a team that will compete for a Championship within the next few years. Neither of those are happening in Pittsburgh.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. BobbyBiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Post of the Week, right here.

5. Remahlehs

Remahlehs Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2018
    It would be a nice story, but if he wants to win a championship, he should sign elsewhere.

TJ will be here for a long time. JJ can play for a contender for a few years, then join his brother for the twilight of his career as cheap pass rushing depth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Watch Tampa get him lol.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    That would be a down grade for the Tampa Bay defense.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Help me out with this obvious signing you see, because I don't see what you're seeing. I mean he's missed 32 games in the past 5 years, that two full seasons, and you want or think he should be here? Is he really as good as Bud or whoever we would put out there next year? He could reserve the training table next to Derek if Derek is even here. This is more fantasy thinking as usual with all these potential players all over the place. I could be wrong, and that's not uncommon, but I just don't see signing a major name anytime soon.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Would love to give him a story book ending he deserves...

So here are some teams that can:
    GB
    Tampa
    Chiefs

lol

10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Legacy of the McNair Family on full display!!! :sign0020:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not that this means anything but it’s clear people would love the story it would make, all of them playing on the same team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It would make a good story lol that’s about it. NFL would love showing them every week though

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Gotta say, it was actually classy of McNair cutting him loose. He could have gotten a draft pick for him but he let him have the freedom of going where he wants.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Don't care much about feel good stories and to me the only criteria is will it make us better and win games? Hard to see where JJ would fit in but maybe on 4-3 defenses that we could shift into to get into the other teams heads. Will TJ pay him or who is going away to make this work? Maybe Ben goes away and we find a way to get.... never mind, now I'm starting to go into fantasy land.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HueyWorley

HueyWorley Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I mean that he'll take less money and sign a team-friendly deal in order to play with his brothers. It will be a low-risk offer the Steelers can't refuse. That said, unless he has a 25-year old star QB hiding in his stomach, I don't see how he helps Pittsburgh win the Super Bowl.

16. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    What is his hand doing? I can't see it

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  17. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Could TJ's message be referred to as twatt tweet? ;)

18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Classy yes, but in reality the draft pick would not be much (though they need all they can get), plus JJ could effectively void any trade by just no showing up to the new team (Ab and the Bills). With all the negatives McNair needed some good publicity

19. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    They were never getting a draft pick for JJ, nobody was trading for that huge contract at his age and with his injury history. The only option was to release him. The Texans do deserve some credit for releasing him now and giving him time to shake the tree before the FA rush but if they could have gotten a draft pick they would have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I honestly call it damage control if anything else. Keep in mind the McNair Family is under an immense microscope. Trading him would have amplified their already monstrous fire storm of negative PR.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Is there any chance they could be made sell? They are literally burning the place to the ground. I cannot think of many ways they could be handling their business worse.

22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don;t see an opening for him on the roster.

On a positive he did play all 16 games last year. On the negative he is clearly on the downside of his career. 54 tackles and only 5 sacks.

Let someone else overpay for this aging veteran. Maybe he could play in Chicago with his wife.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I can't see it, I think they would rather get Wormely to comeback.

Unless they bring JJ to come in and be our NT????

It is a shame they don't expand game day rosters to let an older veteran or two to hang around on a team.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    IMO only 2 of them are , or were great.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    JJ isn't going to play ILB, he's 300 pounds, Avery Williamson is a free agent.