1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pimp your guys

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Jan 31, 2021.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Curious to know who everyone has their eyes on this upcoming draft regardless of rd...… might make for some interesting debate.... I've added a list of players at different positions (most of which I've mocked at different times) with my analysis and NFL player comparison...…… feel free to add yours, or even update mine...… here goes:
    (Note: I only listed players that I think we have a realistic or outside chance of getting)

QB:
    1. Jamie Newman: Powerful arm and very nice deep ball.... think the yr off hurt him a little, as he has struggled with accuracy on intermediate throws in senior bowl practices, but those issues can correct themselves with work…
    Player Comparison----- Matt Stafford

2. Sam Ehlinger: Mobile with very strong arm. throws tight spirals and can fit passes in a small window.... doesn't panick under pressure....
    Player Comparison ---- Dak Prescott

3. Kyle Trask: Very accurate with the ability to extend plays..... gunslinger mentality and stands tall in the pocket
    Player Comparison ---- Ben Roethlisberger

RB:
    Master Teague: Tough runner between the tackles with good shiftiness.... can put his shoulders down and finish runs.... good hands and good route runner
    Player Comparison ---- Frank Gore

Trey Sermon: Very good cutback runner, that can and will hit the home run ….. very good vision and creative
    Player Comparison ------ probably committing some kind of NFL sacrilege, but the more I see sermon, the more he reminds me of a young Marcus Allen

WR:
    1. D'Wayne Eskridge: Slot receiver at the next level.... excellent route runner with very good hands and makes tough catches in traffic.... very good speed and is a threat to take any short pass the distance if he has a seem... also a threat in the return game
    Player Comparison ----- Antonio Brown (yeah I said it)

2. Dazz Newsome: can play outside or in the slot.... Finds the soft spot on the defense...sure handed and makes yds after the catch..... excellent return man that makes people miss
    Player Comparison ---- Deonte Johnson

3. Amari Rogers: Very good slot guy with sure hands and a strong route runner...tough runner inside.... strong build and good blocker....
    Player Comparison: Hines Ward (Yeah, I said it again)

TE:
    1. Pat Freiermuth: Total package that can do it all..... the baby gronk comparisons are more than accurate as he can run passed you or completely run through you
    Player Comparison: Rob Gronkowski (Duh)

2. Brevin Jordan: More of a move TE that does have some blocking ability if the need arises... sure hands and good route runner that can move the chains and then some.....
    Player Comparison: Eric Ebron (with better hands and blocking ability)

3. Luke Farrell: Lunch Pail TE that excels in doing the dirty work.... sure hands and can move the chains when defenses lose site of him
    Player Comparison: Mark Bruener or Matt Spaeth

OT:
    1. Alex Leatherwood: Mauler with a mean streak..... equally adept in pass or run blocking... if he gets his hands on you, then consider yourself erased
    Player Comparison: Orlando Pace

2. Walker Little: One of the most technically sound blockers in the draft (which is expected from a Stanford player)…. Good feet with good arm extension.... can pull like a guard and could probably play inside if needed.... maybe the most athletic tackle in this draft and gets good push in the run game... very low maintenance
    Player Comparison: Marvel Smith

3. Liam Eichenberg: Fluid athlete that plays with a mean streak... Good anchor and excellent motor
    Player Comparison: Anthony Costanza

4. Jalen Mayfield: RT in college that is projected on the left side in the pros..... Hard for pass rushers to get around due to his good footwork and arm extension... good push as a run blocker..
    Player Comparison: Lane Johnson

5. Daniel Faalele: Massive Tackle with more athleticism then one would expect from one his size... Standing at 6'9" and tipping the scales at 400 lbs., he still has very good knee bend and his ability in the run game is obvious..... uses hands well and has good footwork.... will probably be asked to lose close to 30 lbs at the next level, but will make whichever team that gets him very happy
    Player Comarison: Jonathan Ogden

C:
    1. Ryan McCollum: Technically sound with ability to get to the 2nd level in the run game..... Good pass blocker that doesn't get overwhelmed by large DT's
    Player Comparison: Jeff Hartings

DT:
    1. Khyiris Tonga: If there was a combine, I guarantee you that this kid would shoot up draft boards.... don't think he gets out of the 4th and may go higher...… Doesn't get pushed back and can beat double teams.... can wreak havoc in the backfield and uses his hands very well.... will need a yr of development at the next level, but very much worth the wait
    Player Comparison: Joel Steed

Edge:
    1. Shaka Toney: Guided missile on the field... total tackling machine with a nose for the ball... above ave speed that needs a little guidance getting off blockers...… athleticism makes him a candidate for ILB as well
    Player Comparison: Larry Foote

2. Osa Odighizuwa: Just a football player...… Too short for DE, but slightly too large for OLB.... A 3-4 team that is patient can develop him..... If he loses about 20 lbs, he may just become unstoppable
    Player Comparison: James Harrison (I definitely said it)

S:
    1. Rachad Wildgoose: Solid Tackler with a nose for the ball ……. takes good angles to the ball and is very good in coverage..... can play emergency cb if needed
    Player Comparison: Malcolm Jenkins

2. Damar Hamlin: This kid's gonna be a riser in the draft.... another with a nose for the ball and a ballhawk mentality that will stick his helmet in the crowd in run defense.... good vision and instincts
    Player Comparison: Brian Dawkins

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    We have talked about Tonga. From what I have read he is very athletic for his size, and his size is huge. Maybe folklore from a reporter as I could not find any vid, but supposedly they have used him as a short yardage blocker on the line, in the FB position and he also ran. Just a beast.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I too like trask, Teague and eichenberg. There are several linemen from Notre dame that would be good pick ups. Kreamer. Hainsey. Then there is tevin jenkins okla.st. dan Moore jr. Texas a&m. Then either safety from cincinnati. Chazz surratt ILB from North Carolina. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  4. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

I do like what I've seen from Surratt..... outside of wildgoose and Hamlin, I haven't had an opportunity to take a really good look at secondary players... That's coming soon though

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    check out shamar jean-charles the CB from app.st.. thats a guy i hope they target. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Trask, too and I know this will get some groans but I really like Mac Jones. Sorry but all i see is a winner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011
    I hear you..... I also think that if we can fix the o-line, then there won't be a need to use him in this capacity as we still have derick watt...…
    The more I see him, the more I believe he could be our NT of the future.... If we retain Alualu, Tonga can learn and develop behind him and move in when the time comes without us missing a beat

8. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011

Jean-Charles is interesting...… he seems suited for man to man over zone coverage and is more of a PD man as opposed to INT person.... Good wrap up tackler, but not a hitter.... will need some time in an nfl weight rm, or he'll be carried into the endzone by some stronger runners..... If we can afford to stash him until he develops further, than he could become a very good pro

9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I actually like Jones more than Trask, he was surrounded by all star talent, but the guy is extremely intelligent and has uncanny accuracy. When i see him I think of a guy like Joe Montana, and I have no illusions he will win 4 SB's, but someone who possibly could get overlooked and have a lot of success.

• Like Like x 1
  10. blackandgoldpatrol

Dec 5, 2011
    I'm really starting to warm up to Richard Lecounte S GA...…. This guy is a thumper and his play reminds me of a cross between Troy Polamalu and Minkah Fitzpatrick..... As much of a hitter he is, he is not a technically sound wrap up tackler, and will need to get better in that area as there are an increasingly large amount of players that routinely bounce off of pure hits.... otherwise, this guy is a major keeper and I would love to see him in black and gold if he's around in the 3rd

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No on Trask, but Jones in this year was really good. I'm not talking stats, and wins. He actually looks good 2 me. Just My opinion, but I've always thought, arm strength, speed, and size 2 a point were the wrong things 2 look at in a Qb.( They are just icing on the cake) I believe all truly great QBs have one thing in common. How fast they process what they see. Some will say so & so bad decision maker. I believe they're just not seeing the field, or quickly processing info. I also don't believe intelligence has anything 2 do with it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I definitely like Jones better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network had the Steelers drafting Jenkins at #24 in his mock draft, I need to watch some tape of him.

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that's pretty early for him. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Teven Jenkins is great but not Top 32 great. Yes, he does have the experience at Guard and Tackle but does not have the necessary athleticism to be placed among the top Offensive Tackles in the class. Then again, assuming both Samuel Cosmi and Alex Leatherwood are gone, then and only then does Jenkins make sense as he is arguably the best pure Right Tackle in the class.

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    he's good don't get me wrong but he's a RT. A very good RT. Strong. A mauler. Can man handle people. Just some limitations and most likely going to be better at RT or even guard. Which isn't a bad thing but not at 24. I like these strong guys with bad attitudes. The feet are pretty good too. Very good hands to keep guys off of him. Feet set up the arc sometimes isn't always great but that could be worked on. Lots of good stuff to like though. 2nd to 3rd would be a great pickup. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Derrick forrest and James Wiggins from Cincinnati. Both safeties were really good players. Jamal Adams types with ball skills. Really good in coverage but even better around the LOS. I watched a lot of cincci and that defense was good, heck the whole team was good. These two were a big part of it. Neither are getting their due so far. Of course things will change by draft time. Luke Fickell a good coach and would love to have him as our next one. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Sorry I am late to the party with this list everyone! Needed to tidy up some things and vent a little as my Top Five List file was somehow corrupted. Anyway, here are some of my personal favorites from the draft that I hope the Steelers look into. You ready?!

Let's Go!!!

- Jaelen Phillips from the University of Miami for me. He, along with Trevor Lawrence, were two players I payed attention to during their days in High School and both were supposed to take the NCAA by Storm. One did in Lawrence but injuries derailed Phillips in UCLA. Heading to Miami allowed Phillips to revive his career and save his NFL Future. While it was only one season, Phillips has impact playmaking ability as a 3-4 OLB. I understand that the sample size is small and his injury history is even scarier as well. However, any team picking him in Round One is getting quite the player on their hands.

- Another player that is flying under the radar heading into the draft is Paris Ford from the University of Pittsburgh. Seldom do I get excited about Pitt players as usually in my case, they are the classic example of "what you see is what you get". That said, when they have special players, those players are very special indeed. I believe that Paris Ford can be that type of special player as he possess the Football IQ, Instincts and Ball Skills needed to thrive in both safety spots. His Pro Day Weigh In will be interesting as he was only playing 190 the whole season. If he can crack 200 while running in the 4.4s, no doubt he catapults himself into Round One Territory.

- Ifeatu Melifonwu is another player I would like looking into. A bit raw in man coverage but excels in zone, Ifeatu improved his draft stock at the Senior Bowl in a big way. He was already on my Top 75 but now it is hard for me not to place him in the Top 50. Never mind his understanding of coverage, he is also capable of playing multiple Defensive Back spots due to his size and athleticism. I still would start him out at Corner but move him along as his career progresses.

- Walker Little's medicals will be crucial for him. Should he do well in them, you are looking at a very good Offensive Tackle at worst in the NFL. If he can maximize his consistency, he will be a very high end to possibly even a Franchise Caliber one. Again, medicals are critical here.

- Barron Browning will be an excellent addition to any defense that picks him up. While he does weigh 245, having him slim down by 10lbs will create a Linebacker who could potentially be the best pure Off Ball Linebacker to come from the class. His coverage is already good but can get a boost if he sheds some weight.

- Trey Hill from Georgia is a bit of an enigma for me. On one hand, even among the big three in Dickerson, Humphrey and Myers, Trey Hill just might be the most athletic Center in the entire class despite weighing 335lbs. On another hand, I do not see the same consistency as I see from the likes of the big three. That said, he is a Top 40 player and can easily vault into Top 32 territory if he loses some weight as athletic Centers like him are hard to find and even harder to acquire.

- Carlos "Boogie" Basham Jr. reminds me so fondly of Bud Dupree coming out. If anything, Basham Jr.'s pass rushing chops are better than when Dupree came out. It will be determined as to whether or not Basham has the same level of freak show athleticism that Bud has but Bruce Feldman did have him on his 2020 Freaks List.

- Ar'Darius Washington is another Defensive Back that could benefit just about any team when it comes to flexibility. I understand he was moved primarily between two Safety spots but him being a Nickel Corner and even a DIME backer is not out of the question. Ar'Darius has both strength and power in spades despite being only 5'8. Combine that with his natural agility, explosiveness, ball skills, instincts, Football IQ speed and leverage and I believe that Washington will become a better pro than others give him credit for. Reminds me a bit of Tyrann Mathieu.

Plenty more I could have chosen from but these players stick out to me the most.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    i don't think Jones will make it past the Patriots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm in a mock draft with 32 gms.. here is where I am so far. I keep wanting to go defense.. but I would be ecstatic with this

24 Nahjee Harris HB Alanama
    55 Landon Dickerson C Alabams
    87 Dillon Radunz T North Dakota St
    122 David Moore G Grambling

HACK

• Like Like x 2
  23. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Not a big fan of rb in the 1st, but if you pulled off those 2nd and 3rd rd picks, I could live with it.

24. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Moore is 5'10" and 320?

25. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Don't know much about him but the two places I looked had him at 6'1.5" and the other at 6'3".