1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt Canada new OC

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hawaii 5-0, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Agree. Others, Browns for example, have done more with their OL with lesser talents

2. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The Browns line in 2019 was pretty bad, drafting Wills in the 1st and bringing in adding Conklin through FA was a great pickup. I am not really sure you could say they have lessor talent at this point, on paper maybe the experience was not there, but with age our talent certainly diminished.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    In the playoffs, their OL owned our vaunted Defense with scrubs that nobody knew anything about. Someone did something right on their side

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Long season, short memory, but I recall a similar story several times this year with different teams. A depleted line that allowed scrub QB's to throw almost at will, and unknown RB's to thrash us. I maybe embellishing a bit, but not much, lol,

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Agree. In fact that Browns line is arguably the most talented (and all around best) in the league. They have three first rounders, and Wyatt Teller was the best guard in the league this season, he’s a fifth rounder that they picked up in a low value trade from Buffalo in 2019.

Adding Bill Callahan as OLine Coach seems to worked wonders as well.

Whatever we think about the Browns they have put a good roster together and if they improve their secondary they are here to stay for a while. If I had to put a bet on today I’d back them for the Division in 2021.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Believe your forgetting Faker Mayfield. Can't wait till they pay him

7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I just read an article that Canada is not officially our new O C. Yet. There is still hope someone makes the right decision and get new blood.

8. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    If they fire Sully, you can bet your ass the next coach will be either Reirdon or Vellucci, even though the guy for the job is Gerard Gallant.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    He has only been with the team 1 year, and he rose through the college ranks rather quickly ... he isn't "new blood" ?

10. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    They were talking about this on The Fan here the other day. They seemed to think that the Browns would make a mistake breaking the bank to give him a big multi year contract and I agree. The smart move according to them would be to pick up his option year and then if he plays well, sign him to a big deal. He's a decent QB, but can he get them over the hump when their running game is stuffed or if they are down? Well, they had KC by the short and curlies with Mahomes out and he couldn't get it done.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    I think I'd rather see the Steelers perform a more exhaustive search for an OC. Not that I don't want to see what Matt Canada can do. To me, this reluctance to move on from the status quo is maddening. I realize the salary cap wasn't in play back then, but Noll came in and blew the whole team up and started from scratch. I've been banging this drum since that fiasco against Cleveland but I can't see where some minor tweaks are going to change the fortunes of this team. I might be pleasantly surprised next year, who knows? But, my gut and my mind are telling me otherwise.

12. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    He is approaching a near perfect situation around him with that offensive line, Chubb and Hunt in the backfield to take the pressure off and open up play action etc. I don’t rate him much but I think he has such a favourable environment that he is going to look good in the coming years and they will pay him. Cap issues will eventually become a problem for them though. There is just no way you can keep all of that together long term.

Compare Mayfields situation to the one Ben has right now with no running game and an ageing line. Gotta get those things right before they go after the next QB imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So do you think the Team trys to resign Dobbs ? He is a RFA they could put a tener on him ? He could run a mobile style Offense maybe this is the style Tomlin is looking for in the future...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with alot of this, but 2 be honest...if Pouncey doesn't snap the ball over Ben's head ....in the 1st drive, and 1 of those passes aren't tipped ....I believe this is different game. U know what momentum can do.
    Not making excuses, or saying We should, or shouldn't keep Ben....Just stating something's. I do honestly think Ben's 2nd best Qb in our division .....Burrows being 1st....If He comes back from the injury....Mentally as well as Physically.
    We all seen the Difference in C. Palmer after he got injured. Mentally he was never the same. People get around his legs.....and he just wasn't the same....especially if it was Black & Gold

15. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I honestly have no clue man. With the cap being somewhere between 180/190m, there's tough decisions to be made.

16. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Dobbs would be cheap to re-sign but I honestly think some people are overrating him. Doubtful he is ever going to be anything other than a no. 3 emergency QB.

Rudolph beat him for the no. 2 job last year and then Jacksonville cut him after they traded for him, despite having a fairly pitiful QB room. May as well take a flier on somebody late in the draft rather than bring him back unless he is adding value off the field somehow.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'd rather have the Duck who won 3 games last year. Dobbs, never started, never won, never dressed except 1 game this year.

18. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Not logical. The poster stated that he was an emergency #3 because he was beat by Rudolph for #2 and he beat Duck for #3. You want Duck, who was demoted to PS?

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    All I am saying is Dobbs could be a number 2 in a mobile style Offense..A lot of Mocks have the Steelers moving up and taking a Lamar style QB...I am not saying this is what I want , but if your #1 is that type it would make sense for your #2 to be that type as well...Why did they Draft Dobb's to begin with ? Why do they have a OC who runs more mobile QB stuff ? Maybe just Maybe Coach T has wanted to go that direction for awhile and Ben has been the hold up ? Who knows they may see what Dobbs can do as a starter for a year ? A lot depends on what system the OC is going to run or if he is a Ben yes man ..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Beat the Browns the last game of the season and we’re not talking about them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Something doesn't smell right with this.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Does seem odd..If you know the OC and his scheme then you hire the OL Coach to match..It doesn't seem like a done deal that Matt is the guy...Sounds like a buying time thing ...What or who are they buying time for ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe there is a guy still coaching this weekend?

25. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    It is odd for sure. Jammasterc has a great point. It could be someone currently coaching still and they have to wait a bit until the weekend is over.

The other option I think is that the person they want or that Canada wants may not want the job at the moment and they need to keep looking at other options. I'm sure he had a list of guys he wanted. Typically OC, DC, and Head coaches show up to interviews now with...proposed coaching staffs. It is taking some convincing to make this happen and have that person be someone who can coach what Tomlin and Canada want.