1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you want Ben as our starting QB in 2021?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. No

79 vote(s)
    68.1%
  1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I voted No. Also Rudolph is a UFA in 2022.

3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Watching both Brees and Brady today run the QB sneak on 4th and 1. Don't let Ben convince you that an old QB can't run the for it on 4th and 1.

Ben's return in 2021 will mean the end of Tomlin's career. I think if Ben comes back he will take Tomlin down with him.

End result: Tomlin's first losing season and Ben will end up throwing Tomlin under the bus as he starts getting Boo'd out of the stadium.

4. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Steelers will go 9-8 in 2021

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It confirms his cap hit is $41,250,000 if you keep him. 19 million is the cap savings if he is cut as that is his salary.

6. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Dotson is the only guy who looks Starter quality at this point on the roster.

7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I know that. I don’t think the OP did though.

8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The $41 mil is only if they do nothing with his contract.

In the friendliest setting I have seen where Ben could resign and comeback for only and extra $2 mil. $22 in Deadcap money plus a minimum salary of around $2 million freeing up $17 million.

Would you be willing to give up $2 million to have Ben back?

With that said, I am still saying that if Ben comes back and is "Un-benchable" again he will take Tomlin down with him.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  10. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I voted NO. Ben is showing his age and I want to start the painful transition. His staying retards that and hurts us long term.

With him we will probably go 8-8 and waste a year, then start the transition the year after.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Chuks is serviceable

12. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Almost every Steeler fan knows and believes Ben has been a great one here in his time here. Now quite a few are thinking the end of the road has arrived.[me too] If you rewatch the 1st two games [before the season ending injury] of the 2019 season you might even think the end was already forecast.

It is surprising more knowledgeable eyes did not notice this and begin the inevitable transition [Life without Ben}process much sooner.

Anyone believing all that is needed to pursue the championship next season is some retooling and /or manageable adjustments is delusional.

This team is in a lot more trouble than anyone realizes. What is going on here now is similar to the Detroit Lions in the 90's. Even worse believe it or not the Steelers in the late 60's.

Incidentally, Detroit has still not solved their problems, fortunately the Steelers did. But I don't think they will be so lucky this time.

Oh, BTW, did I mention there is an article in the Steeler depot site by Matthew Marzi titled
    "Mike Tomlin Rejects Notion Of Rebuild, Says Desire Is To ‘Pursue A World Championship Each And Every Year

--Oh, really! Sounds interesting. I didn't read it. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I have not seen a single person on here claim that the Steelers will be contenders next season or that the issues that saw the team fall away towards the end of the season are an easy fix.

2021 will be Tomlins first losing season, it’s the perfect storm in terms of the QB situation, cap pressure and a very difficult division winners schedule.

The next couple of drafts will determine whether they can bounce back or not. When you look at the most important positions on the football field, quarterback, left tackle, corner and edge they have huge questions at three of the four positions. They have to get players that can contribute in the next two drafts or they are going to be in big trouble.

14. Maddog78

Maddog78 Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2020
    The receivers who are rarely on the same page as him?

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    Because they stubbornly tried the same thing over and over and over again, as if spouting "beat your man, execute better" will help 6 guys block 9.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Maddog78

Oct 12, 2020
    You're just delaying the inevitable. Rip the bandaid off this year, eat the $22M, start the rebuild in 2022.

I don't know who in the front office needs to hear this, but the Steelers are not competing for a Super Bowl in 2021. The roster gets weaker, the schedule and division get tougher. I'll be surprised if they beat out Cincy for 3rd place in the North.

18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No, I don't want him back for free. He's done, it's time to move on. He hurts us with his inability, and refusal, to do certain things. The lack of play action really limits our offence.

Besides, why they hell did they draft Rudolph then? If they were never going to use him, why didn't they just sign a veteran backup instead of wasting a draft pick on him? Rudolph needs to play so we know what we have, especially now that ****ty Fitchner is gone.

I've always believed we did things better than other teams, but I'm starting to see the incompetence within this franchise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I know. But if he stays in 2021 and finishes his career the Cap Hit will be 41,250,000

From the Tribune Review:

Roethlisberger’s ability to rebound at age 39 in 2021 is just one part of the equation. As he enters the final year of his contract, Roethlisberger is due a $15 million roster bonus plus a $4 million in base salary. But because of the Steelers restructuring his contract in recent years, his salary cap figure of $41.25 million is unwieldy, to say the least.

Under the 2020 salary cap of $198 million, it would have accounted for 20% of the team’s space. But the salary cap could drop as low as $175 million next year because of declining revenues caused by the coronavirus pandemic, making Roethlisberger’s cap figure account for nearly 24% of the Steelers’ figure.

20. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I appreciate all he is done but it's over for Ben. I don't think he has what he may think he has left in the tank. Physically he is not the same. Cannot shed tackles and make plays after contact like he use to. Has no mobility and his arm is not what it use to be. It would be kinda foolish on the part of the organization to hire a new OC and keep your failing QB. Time for change. Improve OL and get an RB like Chubb that can run the ball. Fix run game and let Mason have a shot . Could be in for a very long drought but its not like we are playoff ready anyways from year to year.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    A lot of interesting posts in this thread

Blast Furnace said:
    "Him retiring would make everything easy but sounds like he wants to come back. 19 million reasons to do so.
    I have no confidence in Rudolph though, I don’t think that should be the plan either. Draft or find a vet."

Here is the list of 2021 FA QB's. It is truly awe inspiring. N-OOOOO-T
    Frankly, there is not one QB there I would be interested in. Actually Dobbs is way down the list as one of the lowest paid and he is as okay as any of the rest including the top paid ones.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/quarterback/

SteelinOhio said:
    "I still think he's the best chance they have unless another QB can be found that will be better, but I don't know who that would be right now."

It looks like the next Steeler QB will probably have to be drafted.

Jim90 said
    If the goal is to get a top 10 pick in the next draft, then I'd say yes.
    :smiley1::smiley1: Hmm! That could be the answer.

22. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I know everyone blames so many of the drops on the receivers. They are partly to blame, but Ben must share that blame as well. Quite a few of Ben's passes he did not hit them in stride. He was throwing behind and rarely leading them or hitting them in stride. If you look back at film you would see many of the receptions were due to the receivers slowing up to catch it or giving a slight hop not keeping their feet on the ground in effort to almost hit pause to try and make that catch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    He stated he has arthritis in his knees. If you think about it, as great as Bettis was he could barely walk for a day or two after gameday. While he was still so valuable to us, he knew and accepted his role behind Willie Parker and others who came along. This is the norm for a QB, but if Ben comes back and plays he must embrace his role mid-season the way Eli did if he gets benched for Mason. Eli did handle it with class.

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Nope he can only play from the Gun , he can't run PA , he doesn't like to turn his back to the Defense I could go on and on , but no reason to bash him to death..Father Time is undefeated it's as simple as that...If Tomlin and the Team decides to go with him then we need to go all in and get all the speed we can get at the RB,WR, and TE spot ...

25. burghfan58

Oct 16, 2011
    I had actually stated early on he was not the same old Ben. I felt since about game Tennessee game we started winning by the seat of our pants. I was ridiculed as they were putting up 28 points a game. They just could not finish the team off, while our Defense was giving them every opportunity.