1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you want Ben as our starting QB in 2021?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    31.9%
  2. No

79 vote(s)
    68.1%
  1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
  2. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Love Ben for what he did for the Steelers, but it is time to move on. It was a long dry spell between Bradshaw to Ben, but he isn't what he used to be. I will have to look this up myself, but I heard on 93.7 the Fan that the 10 years prior to Ben compared to the past 10 years with Ben was better before Ben's arrival. Let that sync in,..... the 10 years prior to Ben includes Neil O'Donnel, Mike Tomzak, Kordell Stewart, and Tommy Maddox had a higher win percentage, lower turnover ratio, and playoff wins than Ben has had in his last 10 years. While I would love to see Ben go out on a high note with a ring, his ceiling is low at this point in his career and he is hurting his legacy with his inconsistent play. I'm not seeing him as a first ballot Hall of Famer. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    No. I believe Ben is done physically. If he isn’t he’s damn close to being done and he’s certainly not the future. Give Mason a year or two as a full time starter. If he can’t get it done hopefully we suck bad enough for a year or two to pick in the top ten and fully rebuild.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ben had some zip on the ball in the second half of the playoff loss. His arm is tested.

Now, like they did with Elway, get him a running game.

Many of the players from this year won’t return. The only 2 players on the team worth paying for are TJ and Minkah. They have them next year. Get Bush back, correct the offensive line and running game and make a run.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    It depends on the list of QB's on the roster. If we have our current roster, then yes bring Ben back and get everyone healthy. Health of the unit is the most important aspect to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    If Canada is given latitude to make some changes with the offense and Ben accepts it, I'd let him come back.

If Ben won't buy in and wants to run the offense his way, he should retire. He's only going to put more strain on himself physically if continues in a freewheeling offense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    ODonnel, Tomzack, Stewart, Maddox.. all had better coaches than Ben has had his last 10 years:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Part of me thinks they hired Canada to give Ben a comfort factor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m leaning no, still chewing on it but you’d free up much needed cap space and he very likely breaks down again and if he didn’t break down this season and wasn’t playing through an injury like many of us suspected, then he’s clearly done anyway. So either way, not much incentive to bring him back.

Only hope would be if his arm wasn’t right still from the surgery and another offseason fixes that.

Him retiring would make everything easy but sounds like he wants to come back. 19 million reasons to do so.

I have no confidence in Rudolph though, I don’t think that should be the plan either. Draft or find a vet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And what did they win :shrug:?

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    More playoff games under Cowher and his staff, than with Tomlin and his the last 10 years :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah because going 1-4 in the AFCCG at home is real impressive :facepalm:

13. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Fire TOMLIN

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. TimesUp

TimesUp Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2020
    If Ben comes back next year he will be one of the worst QB's in the league. The last half of the season was pitiful. He's done, washed up. Get ready for a Tomlin losing season if Benny returns. Have you seen the opponents next year. 4 wins is a stretch !!

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    I hope we go 0-17 so that idiot Rooney will get pie in his face like he deserves

16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Almost as impressive as getting your ass kicked by a 7th seed that didnt practice didnt have a HC and was riddeled with covid :hmm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    These TOMLIN fanboys are absolutely hilarious at this point. Peanut brains

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Nope. It’s time for Ben to move out, not elite anymore and not even just that. He’s gonna end up seriously hurt, don’t want to see him in a wheel chair from hanging on too long.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I recognize that he is not going to be able to play much longer, but I just don't know that another available QB will give the Steelers a better chance at competing next year. I think a big part of the problem for Ben is that the Steelers' running game has been almost non-existent for awhile now. That is going to hurt any offense. If there was a better running game, I think Ben's age limitations wouldn't be as big of an issue.

I still think he's the best chance they have unless another QB can be found that will be better, but I don't know who that would be right now.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Regardless who is under center next season 8-8 will be a blessing. I really hope it's not Ben. Should he hang on it's just about the $$$$$$.

If and it's a big ass if, our defense can stay healthy and our QB has a better O-line and running back I think we might be able to hang with other AFCN teams.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It depends on which Ben your asking about.
    4th quarter vs the Colts Ben or 1st quarter vs the Browns Ben...

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Seems the urgency Ben only exists when the game is out of hand.

I put No, our rebuild needs to start. Ben and Tomlin combo will never win another super bowl, tired of these early exits.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I would love to have a truly healthy Ben back, but I personally believe that the odds are pretty low of him making it through a season healthy enough to be “Ben.” His mobility has been on the decline, and when he had a stretch of time where he wasn’t even stepping into his throws, it got really ugly. Also, with a Matt Canada offense that’s loaded with deception and misdirection, I think a QB with limited liability would hold it back. I could see bootlegs, half-rolls, etc. being successful in Canada’s scheme, but if the QB can’t execute them (and basic play action), the offense will suffer.

I truly appreciate all that Ben has done, but all good things come to an end. I think we went all out money-wise in 2020, and left a pretty big cap issue for 2021. In my view it would be a mistake to extend Ben to create cap space to retain/add talent in 2021 for a final run. It’s not at all likely to work, and it would hurt us for 2022 and maybe 2023. Time to rip off the band aid and look forward, not backward. That’s where I stand.

• Agree Agree x 4
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I bet alot of Ravens fans are thinking the same...about their Qb...and he hasn't even got paid yet.....after 2 day .....if my wishes come true :bowdown:...so will the browns.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    How are they going to get a better line next year?? They have no money. Draft 4 Olineman and start them all? LOL