1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

It's time for Tomlin to go

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Maddog78, Dec 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    NO! Now is not the time to fire mighty Mike.that time was 10yrs.ago.

2. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Nice SteelHack.

This topic has come up so many times it should just be left as a permanent thread. Boring.

Nonetheless, here I go. Typical of some folks here. I know exactly who I want to go into "battle" with from this Board. Like I stated, even when we were 11-0, some here are just never satisfied. There always seemed to be an extenuating circumstance (*) as to why we won during that stretch. I get the Tomlin issues during his era.

Question then folks: If not Tomlin to remain as our Coach, then who?

I am not taking sides one way or another. I have put up my pros and cons about this several times. Sure, at some point every administrator runs his/her course. Some are cognizant enough to know when to go and others won't budge.

Tomlin is still very young. The issue is this as I see it:

Is he still growing into the position?

If he is, then that is a plus for him. It means he has not become stagnant. Stagnant=Complacency

This is typically the sign of when it is time to go. Is Tomlin there? I do not think so. Of course he wants to win for so many obvious reasons. The issue is can he "Bring it all home? Sure, he was at the helm for Super Bowl XLIII. He gets some credit. Nonetheless, he was handed a:
    • Pre-packaged,
    • Ready to go,
    • Primed for victory,
    • Championship caliber team.
    He delivered. He also got us to Super Bowl XLV but came up short. Again, he still had a team that was mostly constructed by Cowher and his administration. Although, he had more of his fingerprints on the make-up of that team.

Ever since, it has been going in the "wrong" direction per se. Sure, sure great regular season records and that is where it ends.

Look, I am pulling for him because he is the Coach of my team. Given that, he has a lot to prove. If he wants to get the stigma of:
    He only won the Super Bowl because he had Cowher's players off of his back, then he has to win it all with "his team". This current unit is his team for the most part. It has his trademark all over it. So he either needs to "put-up" or "pack-up".

STEELWINDS The East Side Kid

3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    If Tomlin flames out this year...My prediction is, A coordinator ( most likely Fitchner ) will fall on the sword...AR will talk tough, and things will carry on as usual...

Now........IF, They suck again next year THEN Tomlin will put on notice THEN , If they suck the year after that.... THEN he would be gone!

That's ..Flaming out this year, plus TWO more years of sucking...Which is possible...But the thing with this scenario is, Tomlin would probably want out, and suitors would be lined up to grab him...

Teams that consistently lose,Will jump at the thought of landing a " big name " Coach...Guys like Harbaugh,McDaniels,Meyer and the like will ALWAYS get chances...Just based on their names, and not necessarily their performance!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Please explain that to Bob Nutting. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Can coaches hit a wall? I believe good coaches take a team as far as they can go and may need a fresh start somewhere else. Belecheat, Andy Reid are examples of this Reid took Philly as far as he could and now has a dynasty in place in K C. It happens. No one will say Bill B was a bad coach because Clev fired him. Letting MT go may be best for both parties if he is as good a coach as proclaimed. Plus, I never heard of MT before he was hired as our HC so stop with the " who's out there that can replace him" BS. They're out there just like Tomlin was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I do wonder if Saints fans have this same discussion about Sean Payton. If I'm not mistaken he's been in NO slightly longer than Tomlin here. And take Brady away from Belichick look what happens.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As you all know, I am not a Tomlin supporter, but he did a whale of a job last year
    with 2 young qb's with no real game experience. I hope the Steelers have a succession plan
    in place. The time is upon us .I hope they can continue to find fresh bright football minds?

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The players don't matter if your head coach allows the divas to run the team, allows inept coordinators to hinder the team, and squanders countless golden opportunities!

9. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    :facepalm:

Maybe you just became a Steelers fan in the last few weeks?

In the 70's, 80's, and 90's the Steelers were owned and managed by the old man (Art), and his son Dan. Dan managed to be the US Ambassador to Ireland and still run the team very effectively. Since Dan's illness and subsequent passing, Art II has managed the team and he has made a number of moves that show he is not following in the footsteps of his father and grandfather.

If you want to know a little more about the Steelers you can use the internet to find volumes of information. The Steelers have a quite a rich history, do yourself a favor and read up;)

10. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    This Rooney is nothing like his old man or Grandfather for sure. Sad.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Your ignorance of Art Senior, Dan, Art junior is showing, should clean that up.

12. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    You are the expert of course but since the team has been under his leadership this franchise has gone into the toilet. But hey cheers to mediocrity.

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Tomlin is only under contract thru 2021 :shrug:

14. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Cowher didn't start from nothing, Noll left some good players on defense, stop talking out of your ass :facepalm:.

15. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    So you're blaming Tomlin for Ben sucking the last 3 games and throwing ints :facepalm:.

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Your narrative is beyond stupid, the team traded a first round pick for Minkah, traded up to get Bush but ARII priority isn't winning. Get out of here with that nonsense :facepalm:.

17. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    When quoting someone's ignorance, please make sure your facts are correct of who is who. Art Jr. was Dan's brother and Art Sr's. son. Art II, the current CEO, is Dan's son. Art Jr. was over scouting and played a large part in the 1974 draft, but later was fired by Dan Rooney.

18. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    I agree, but Tomlin has to have an alternative plan in place to put a stop to Ben's sucking, even if it is just replacing him for a series.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    You have to let him play through it, Ben still gives the team the best chance to win, Mason isn't the answer.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  20. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    You are wrong. Tomlin, letting Roethlisberger play through 3 plays 2 yards, 3 plays 4 yards, 1 play, fum lost, 3 plays 3 yards, and 3 plays and another fumble, is not coaching. Mason may not be the answer, but after the first quarter Monday, Roethlisberger wasn't anymore of an answer than Mason. It is fine for Tomlin to say no changes will be made, which is fine to instill some confidence, but he better well have a plan, if Ben sucks the first quarter against Indy.

I realize it is not all on Ben, because the offense has been inconsistent in the first half for most of their games, even during the 11-0 start, but Monday was on Ben.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Yea I am, what does Tomlin do exactly? He doesn't call the offense. He doesn't call the Defense. He doesn't ever make adjustments during a game.. Maybe it Tomlin could come up with a decent game plan Ben woudnt have to throw 50 times a game. This is the same **** from a Tomlin led team we have seen through the years he's been coaching!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Jujubean

Aug 12, 2019
    Once TOMLIN finally leaves we are going to lose a lot of members on this board. Never seen such blind loyalty to a **** coach in all my years.

And for the record I think he is a great person and good family man. He just can’t coach worth a lick.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Some doesn't equal what MT got handed with. The teams record was crap with those some good ones until Cowher came in.... 10 years and still waiting for MT to build a winner. FRAUD!! As things sit right now it would be the time to get another Cowher type to takeover this fraud. I'd bet the same thing would happen, as in the Steelers making it to the SB within 3 years.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2020
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not exactly, there is a mutual option for 2022.

25. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You just made his year, he's probably running around his house screaming , fist pumping , and doing Tyreek Hill type of back flips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.