1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

3 games in 12 days.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Dec 9, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We are all disappointed to some extent but we have played a lot of football and it starts to add up quickly this late in the season. It starts to take a toll. With all the injuries and so many games in a short span, we are feeling the effects of our bye being moved. If we get some starters back, Williamson has a good week with starting reps, we can go into buffalo and make a good showing I think.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I dont want to brag or anything Mac but I have worked 8hrs a day, five days in the week for 14 days and I'm . They are soft.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah gotta get Haden and Nelson back especially. Buffalo have a good passing attack and it will be tough to stop them even with everyone healthy.

Hopefully Pouncey and Conner are good to go as well.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers activated Conner from the COVID list today. There have been no updates on Pouncey yet.

The short weeks are definitely hurting the Steelers. They may be causing some of the injuries as players wear down. They are definitely making it tougher to adjust to the injuries. Miscommunication on defense was a big part of Washignton's offensive success in the second half Sunday. The Steelers have a short week to fix the problem, including getting Williamson ready to start, and no clarity regarding the availability of their two starting cornerbacks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t see any way they win on Sunday with the injury list that they have so I’m not going to stress about it. They can afford a loss to Buffalo so it’s not the end of the world. Do you think they can pull out a W here?

As long as they hold on to the Division and get mostly everyone back for the playoffs I’d be happy enough. 13-3 should do it because I don’t think the browns are going to win out. That would probably get them the #2 seed as well. The #1 seed was always a long shot with KC in the conference.

Buffalo would probably be the biggest threat to take the #2 seed away so ideally you’d beat them this weekend but I don’t see it.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  6. RONN

RONN Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2020
    We need that number 1 seed and if we get it Tomlin have to keep them sharp and ready which he frequently fail too do

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Would be great if they can get Layne off the field, he’s a big liability out there. Great that Nelson is back, don’t know if Haden will clear concussion protocol in time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Every team plays 3 games in 15 days all season long. Every time you play three Sundays in a row that’s 15 days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    OP, it is actually 3 games in 12 days. The Washington game should have been a warning to the team, after the way they played against Baltimore, but the issues that were present against Baltimore were not fixed for Washington. The Steelers have plateaued. The talent is on the roster, although some of it is injured and out, and some of it is banged up and aging. The challenge for Tomlin is to get the team mentally focused and prepared so well that the execution is more consistent, whether it is catching the ball or running it. These last four games and any playoff games will let us know who Mike Tomlin is. If the Steelers flatline the rest of the season, meaning .500 or less and an early playoff loss, then I do not think Tomlin will ever win another title. If he can get the team to re-engage and actually improve, then I will be impressed with his coaching.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Play 2 Sunday games followed by a Thursday game and that’s 3 games in 12 days. Pretty much every team does that at some point in the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yup I don’t see what the big deal is

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Math is hard.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Playing 2 games in a row on short rest isn’t a picnic, from a fatigue standpoint and getting players back healthy.

Not to mention they have had their routines turned upside down, sometimes not even practicing because the NFL was jerking them around trying to accommodate a team that screwed the whole thing up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The big deal is the Steelers were robbed of their bye week, then had a screwed-up preparation for the Ravens, a game that starts the run of three games in 12 days, all because other teams broke protocol and the league chose to screw the Steelers to accommodate them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    And when did the Steelers play two Sunday games followed by a Thursday game. Teams that play three games in twelve days, usually have a Sunday, Sunday, Thursday schedule, which is different than two games in a row with short weeks.

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Exactly. The Steelers are worn down and beaten up right now. They never really got a bye week thanks to the Titans. They are far less rested than they should be right now. Perhaps more importantly, they haven't had the opportunity to self-scout and adjust. That bye in the middle of the season would have helped with both things. So would the mini-bye they were supposed to get after the Baltimore game. They pretty much had to prepare for the Titans twice, then do ramp up for the second game against the Ravens twice.

This mess also handed Washington a huge advantage. The Football Team had 11 days to prepare while the Steelers got four. That is a very big deal when you have two teams that only play one another every four years. Notice the Washington players bragging about knowing what the Steelers were going to do after the game? Yeah, it's easy to do that when you have more than twice as much time to prepare. Even that probably wouldn't have been enough if not for the injuries to Dupree, Nelson, Haden, and Spillane.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It’s not so much that we played two games in a short span. Cause when you play a Thursday game you have about 4 days between games. We got 5 between the Ravens and Washington. The real issue is like you both said it’s the manner in which these games were played. Especially the Ravens game. Hard to be at your best when you’re basically quarantined leading up to the Ravens game. Then you face a team that was on a week and half rest who have been practicing regularly.
    The league handled this terribly. The Steelers got the short end of the stick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    With respect, it was 3 games in 12 days. In such a physical league, if we’d of had the luxury of an extra 3 days rest, we “arguably” could’ve prevented some injuries

19. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011

20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Plus, the Steelers are still on a short week for the Bills game.

21. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012

Not typically when the other team, Washington in this case, is coming off of 11 days of rest - while we were coming off 4-5 days rest.

It’s not an excuse because you and I could argue semantics till were blue in the face. My only point is out task was a bit tougher coming off a short week vs a rested team

22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I quoted the wrong post.

23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Football is one my favorite sports and I dont like to throw stones at it but.... .BUT.......hockey players play just as physically hard as they do for an 82 game season sometimes back to back or on 1 days rest and I saw a member of the Dallas Stars technically brought back to life on the ice and still wanted to play. So I think we are digging deep this week to ease our dreams of undefeated season . That said they were jobbed by the league on scheduling.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Hockey players are tougher than football players. I used to go to a small restaurant in little Italy, Chicago, years ago. It was frequented by the mafia and Blackhawk players. I’m not sure who was more afraid of who. I left them all alone. Food was good.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Try Louie's in the Bronx, best veal in the city.

• Like Like x 1