1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin decision to go for it on 4th was BRUTAL

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LongIslandSteel, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019

• Like Like x 1
  2. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It was the right the call to go for it. We kept missing kicks and they kept getting good pressure. The flaw was you are suppose to let the clock run all the way down and use one of your 3 timeouts. Instead we rushed a horrible run play with 3 timeouts in hand, why?? My only guess is they wanted to catch the Cowboys off guard. I still don't like that aspect of the plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually, it was both. He specifically mentioned Boswell missing the extra point in his presser, along with the other stuff. What's so hard to understand about that?

4. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I can see where Tomlin was trying to make a statement, to drive the stake all the way through Dracula, but for God’s sake, if you just kick the FG you are up by 8, and the Cryboys have to go all the way down the field, score a TD, and get the 2 pointer, just to tie.

It was a bonehead gamble.

5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We never made the fg that puts us up by 8. Speculate away, play the percentages, Tomlin still earns the W with his decision.

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I agree with that last part. There was no reason to believe the running game was going to get the job done there. Trust Roethlisberger to hit a short pass, something he did with tremendous consistency from that last drive in the first half through the end of the game.

7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Forgive my limited memory, what game(s) this year did they go several times on 4th and 1 (and 3rd and 1) and made it several times, some by running. Derrick Watt may have been in, but still the plays were designed on brute force. I believe we were also without Decastro. I may be overthinking this, but both those play calls yesterday were just stupid, fooled no one, and had little chance for success. It was also mentioned that Chase looked surprised that the ball was snapped, like he thought they were trying to get the D to jump. IDK is that's the case, just seems like in those moments we get to cute.

8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I really have no issue either way, it is the play call itself that frustrates me. Put your bulldozer up front behind your best road graders and go for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The play call looked very slow to develop and too predictable. I don't see Feiler getting any push and the whole play was getting washed sideways when Gregory shoots a gap.
    A gutsy call but really poorly executed.
    If they are going to run use a fullback as a lead blocker and hit it hard and fast straight ahead.

If they pass it and complete it for a first down game over, incomplete clock stops and they have the ball ( no worse than getting stuffed on the run )and if they jump a quick slant for an INT they are going the other way for 6. Don't expect an interference call with a quick slant of a couple yards.

A FG makes sense but we were having protection issues and if its blocked Dallas is already running in the right direction and the Steelers are in a blocking mode without anyone to run down a speed guy.

I might have called the run but I am big Bus fan and might have been swayed by those memories.

10. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin's decision was right up there with Noll's going for it decision in Super Bowl X. Fortunately, we kicked out both times.

11. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    They ended the first five games in victory formation though so hopefully they get back to successfully running the ball in the 4-minute offense.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Hated the call, was very critical of it in the game day thread. Bad call, bad play, bad execution.

This game really got under my skin, which showed in the game day thread, I don’t usually bash them so much.

13. NE Missouri Steeler

NE Missouri Steeler Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2017
    Going for it was a good decision. Running a counter off tackle play was bad

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Ha, I came in to the thread at the end of game and was skimming through, kept thinking your posts were Ray’s at a glance.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I read Leighton Vander Esch was especially critical of the descision…. the coaches were slowly losing the team before this game.... they could very well implode after this

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I would take this more seriously if you realized it wouldn't have been a two-score lead. The field goal would have given the Steelers an eight-point advantage. You do know teams can go for two these days, right?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    It was an awful game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Missing the field goal isn't a big issue. Having it blocked is a very big issue.

19. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm just telling you what Tomlin said. He specifically mentioned the missed field goal as part of his decision, no matter what you think about the importance of it. That was the point, and you seem to keep missing it.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No other coach is 8-0 either :shrug:

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It would've helped if Vance actually blocked somebody on that play :facepalm:.