1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin decision to go for it on 4th was BRUTAL

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by LongIslandSteel, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Dallas had a guy jumping our center and disrupting every kick and I think Tomlin was worried about another block and a potential return.

I guess my question is "why not do something to deter the guy from jumping our center and having a free run at the ball?"

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    That is what ST coaches are supposed to do, make adjustments, right?

3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Stupid decision. No excuses, just plain dumb. We can set a franchise FG record but not hit a chip shot. OK, sounds rational. Even if we missed it, they would get the ball where they did anyway. Were they that afraid of not being able to block on a simple fg try? What are we going to do in the future when playing other teams and they have the game film? Go for it on 4 th downs from now on? I thought we didn't live in our fears (except trying to kick fgs now). We had so many things go wrong but are all fixable and just need someone to figure this out.

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Hypothetical question: If Boz doesn't miss the extra point earlier in the game and we are ahead by 6 at that point. Does that change his mind set to kick the FG to be up by 9 on that 32 yard FG?

If he opts to kick it in that scenario then he has a huge problem with ST's decision making.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This was one of those moments where Tomlin tried to be clever and it backfired. I personally am way more concerned with our inability to pick up a yard when needed than the anomaly of a blocked kick.

6. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    On one hand I like the aggressiveness of putting the game away by picking up the first down there. But the fact that we've struggled with short yardage makes it a terrible call. Kick the field goal and make them score a TD and a 2-point conversion to beat you. With all that said we continue to fight and find ways to win games. Pretty fun to watch right now.

7. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I'm a Mike T apologist but that's a terrible call, plain and simple.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Twice!!!

9. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Even though MT said in his post-game presser that he felt like the Steelers were being dominated in the kicking game, and cited the block/missed PAT/etc, I still think you have to take the FG there. Boz recovered well enough to kick the 59 yarder, I have no doubt he would have made a FG at the end of the game.

10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Tomlin played to win. Like he usually does. I like it. :smiley1:

Execution & play call can get better.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    You’re right but how can we not block a guy just jumping the A gap over and over again? This decision is an indictment of our special teams that we had to go for a 4th down play because we were worried about a 35 yard field goal being blocked. Shameful.

12. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I know Derek Watt has been out for several weeks, so we don't have a true FB on the game day roster, but remember that one time we used Mondeaux there? It worked, but he hasn't been used again. Seems odd to me.

13. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    It is amazing how short sighted society has gotten. It has spilled everywhere. Bos misses an Xp, he has one of them blocked, which wasnt his fault. Then he proceeds to make a 59 yarder, which in a lot of ways ended up being the game winner. On top of that, Tomlin decides to go for the win and it doesn't work because the left side of the line decided that they weren't going to block, and now here we are killing two guys whom actually made key decisions and plays during the game that helped them win, but we look at the decisions that ALMOST lost them the game.

This is the NFL in 2020 folks. You need to stop living in the 90s and before. It's over. You have rookie QB's(Herbert, Burrow, Tua) that look like all-pros out the gate now. That's the world of pro football now. So, a 4th string QB doing his thing and a desperate team playing above their heads will happen in the NFL to any team. The Bucs looked like pure, unadulterated piss last night. KC is barely winning games. Ratbirds got a friendly call and that whining **** face Harbaugh was able to weasel it through, otherwise they were on the verge of losing that game.

The NFL is a week to week game. If you think every week is a sure win, good luck, it isn't. You should find something else to whine about then if every time a decision is made that doesn't work, it's labeled "choke". No one choked yesterday. Not Dallas, not Pittsburgh. It was two teams that played, made plays and the best team won in the end. Nothing more.

• Like Like x 3
  14. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Tomlin gets the dunce cap for this one

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I couldn't agree more...it was another situational football decision that gives Tomlin "haters" even more fuel. Terrible coaching call in my opinion.

16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Back to reality, McCarthy earned the dunce cap for kicking the fg on 4th & 1. Played not to lose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Before yesterday's game, the Steelers were 6-for-7 on 4th down conversions.
    Going for it on 4th-and-1 was a high percentage play.
    (That conversion rate is obviously worse now, after an 0-for-2 game.)

If the complaints are about the play that was run, okay.
    But the decision to go for it instead of a FG is not as bad as some people are making it sound.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    That would require Fitchner to use his brain...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He wasn't worried about Bosworth. He was worried about the protection up front. Why are so many people having a problem understanding that part of it?

Of course, this is something the Steelers need to fix in practice. I need to watch those kicks again. It sure as hell looked like the Cowboys had a guy lined up illegally. Also, I don't think he made it without touching the long-snapper, which is not allowed.

20. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Should have faked the FG.

Dallas would have never expected that.

• Like Like x 1
  21. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Even had we gotten the FG we would still have had to stop them from driving the length of the field for a TD. Getting the first down was the only way to prevent them from having any chance of a comeback. I would have kicked it but I don't think there is a clearly right or wrong decision given how badly we were struggling blocking up the middle on kicks.

I would have let Ben throw for the first down though. An incomplete on 4th is no worse than getting stopped short of the first down on a run.

22. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I like the call, I hated the play

They went for it because a Cowboy kept jumping over the line in the A gap. He blocked 1. Could have had 2 more.

If it's me. I go for the FG

If I have to go for it. I spread them out...shotgun with Conner next to Ben. Then run up and go QB sneak.

HACK

23. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Conventional wisdom says you try for the FG. I know he was afraid of a block being advanced and he wanted to close the game out. Not good enough. You take the points. If Dallas does block it and gets a decent return, there is no guarantee they score. I don't disagree that the play call was poor. They hadn't been able to run the whole game. Honestly, had they made the first down, I would still have thought the risk outweighed the reward.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  24. Im4steelers

Im4steelers Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2019
    No other coach in the NFL that had a half a brain would of done that. Its elementary that you would kick the fg and make it a 2 score lead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Tomlins decissions will eventually give this team a loss.....