1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Up until that last incomplete...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bleednblackngold, Nov 1, 2020.

1. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I was seriously dreading hearing the talking heads talk about Lamar pulling off a miracle. The fact is, he was absolutely awful and only our pitiful 1st half offense kept them in the game. He's highly overrated imho.

• Agree Agree x 6
  2. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Alualu going out early sure didn't help but, I would have thought that losing two starting o-lineman would have slowed them down. It's hard to grasp how much of their offense is based on running the football. Everything they do is based on their ability to run, so they are used to adjusting on the fly when they are getting slowed down. They are coached really well in that aspect and are a really good football team, but I don't think they are a championship threat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That one drive in the 4th running like 8 straight plays, many of them the option..I mean the freaking HS option and still making 1st downs. Its not like those things long term are unstoppable, but it looked like they had a game plan on running differently for each quarter..or as you said just made those adjustments on the fly. That's what makes Lamar so deadly, a holding call brought back a TD..and a holding call that we have seen not get called.

4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's exactly what they did and do. They change the style through the game. Problem is they lose themselves and think they can sneak in a pass play or 2 and he reads the zone wrong. He's also damn prone to fumbles. 3 this game and one he was lucky to get back? Pittsburgh went to a 4 down DL, they switched up to a zone blocking scheme and option pitch plays instead of the hand offs.

5. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    I felt the same way and for some reasons these announcers really annoyed me, I muted the damn game.

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I usually like Romo, but he was insufferable today.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    The guy did not won MVP because he is a scrub, but it seems in every career game so far he fails to elevate his game. I think part of it is surrounding him with greater talent, and building more short passing game. Old school running is fine, but when faced with O's that get into a shoot out in the end you just cannot keep up. I also wonder on the longevity of his career, time will tell but you just cannot keep putting yourself out there as a RB, the hits do matter overtime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I'm pretty tired of that running back Lamar Jackson.. It's time the NFL figures him out and puts him out of a job. And I never understood the fascination ppl have for romo as an announcer. hes just as unbearable as an announcer as he was a player

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    he had some entertaining moments though

botchhold.gif

• Like Like x 3
  10. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I thought for sure there would be some BS call in the end zone. Lamar is basically a college QB, Good defenses can figure him out. Problem is there aren't too many good D in the league. He is just the new RGIII. another year and he will be figured out or tired out from all the hits he takes.

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Other teams simply do not have the horses to do so. Pittsburgh seems to be the only one... for now. That said, should this continue for Lamar, I doubt it is just going to be merely the horses for long.

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Problem I have is they show his highlights and there's a few really nice throws in there, but it's not Mahomes/Rogers/Brady/Breese throws. Most will be wide open guys, a couple dropping it in the bucket with a sprinkling of just pure arm strength darts through the defenders.

Problem is he's really damn elusive, more so than RG3 ever was and he's got a bit more size to him. He takes some serious hits though and that's going to catch up to him. Ben/Brady/Breese and even Rivers have not played as long as they have by absorbing that type of beating.

13. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    his playing style is going to catch up with him. it has for literally every single other QB with his style and stature. guys like wilson, mcnabb, mahomes, mcnair, etc pass to set up the run.. and all of those guys have thicker builds than jackson. lamar jackson runs to set up the pass.. he's a hell of a runner, but it's just not sustainable. his passing has already regressed significantly from last year now that there's more tape on him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Those hits are going to add up eventually. Lamar must get better at throwing the football. If not, he will not last for much longer.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    The chiefs do a pretty good job too against him I would imagine.. Hes like 23-2 against everybody not named the Steelers or chiefs.. Crunch time big games he don't have it

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Chiefs though have a different type of gameplan; quick strike capability. Patrick Mahomes can overwhelm any defense but mainly with his arm. Add his impressive cache of weapons and that just puts pressure on any Defense.

Pittsburgh has to go by toughness, grit and perseverance to beat Baltimore. Rather, Pittsburgh's Offense has not woken up just yet. Next week as a great way to Jumpstart that.

17. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Lamar plays reckless and chaotic. That combined with his speed makes him very difficult to defend and highly distracts a defense. It`s all over for the Ratbirds once he tempts fate too often and gets his knee blown out. No way he keeps his current style and avoids a serious injury.

18. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    I keep hearing that every year and it has still yet to happen on a large scale.

19. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Their offense is based on gimmicks, it's not that great.

20. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t think he has been running as much overall this season, they have actively been trying to protect him, and they can get away with it in most games. He let the reins go yesterday because he had to. They didn’t want him throwing.

I have never rated him, he and Baltimore are awesome against bad teams that can’t stop the run. If you can slow that down he falls apart. I said on another thread that he is a high floor / low ceiling guy. They will always be competitive with Lamar as long as he stays healthy but they won’t survive a playoff run against good teams and get to the Superbowl because at some point he will have to win a game with his arm and he won’t be able to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    How terrible was he? Did you see Harbaugh tapping his head after the game? Why? Because Miles Boykin #80 was in the left side of the endzone all alone as in wide open. Jackson rushed the play and did not look for an open receiver. This from a player with great evasive abilities to extend the play. Not the best play by the "reigning NFL MVP."

22. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I was thinking about our O today. Each week a couple of players show up, some even flash star potential. I really like it when all of the weapons are being used to some extent, for one it shows Ben is open to throwing to the best option available. That said I still think they are still trying to see what they really have. Injuries and inexperience have hampered us somewhat, I think the one time Mcfarland got the ball yesterday (and fell over his own feet) is a prime example. The field was wet and he slipped, but it looked like he had one player to juke and he was off for a big gain. I little patience on his part might hive made the difference. Ray Ray looks like he could take it to the house every time he touches it. IDK the answer, but the talent is there, just need to find a way to make it work the whole 60 mins and this team (I believe) can compete with anyone in multiple facets of play.

23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Anthony McFarland will be fine so no worry there. Simply taking his NFL lumps with some unfortunate case of the slips in bad weather. Look for him to get better down the stretch. As for the rest of your commentary, I agree. The weapons are there to do major damage but the Offense has yet to fire on all cylinders due to the tremendous amount of talent there.

Realistically speaking, I doubt this Offense is going to need to wake up until the rematch against Baltimore on Thanksgiving. That said, my biggest hope is no injuries heading into that contest. Should this be the case, Pittsburgh should not only shut the door on Baltimore's chances of winning the AFC North but also give the likes of Indy and Los Vegas some wiggle room due to the new 7th seed.