1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Life After Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersfan35, Apr 23, 2020.

1. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    IMO, it's too early to judge our current QB situation. Even though we still have some time to figure out Ben's replacement, when should we start to focus "more" on developing a young QB to replace Ben?

2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don’t think we should worry about it ... few teams can seamlessly transition from one franchise qb to another.

I think it was a mistake to move on from Landry ... wasting 2 mid round picks during Ben’s best years.

When Ben retires we can just find a new guy, why worry about it while Ben is on the roster?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    We should worry about it after we win the Super Bowl this season :herewego!:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Not a concern right now.

When he does go I think there may be some viable FA options in the short term anyway. Look at all the guys who are in the wind like Newton, Winston, Dalton. You’ll probably have some reclamation projects like Mariota and Trubisky cut loose as well. As the college game evolves and more pro ready QB’s enter the league each year it may not be the struggle it once was to find a starter. Of course the ideal thing is to draft your own guy and keep him in place for his career but it’s not something they can plan right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Bring Cowher back, he doesn't need a QB. :shrug:

Benny Snell heaven.​

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    rebuild. We will be an entirely different team. IMO this team needs a franchise QB for the future. You can't win without a good one in the NFL anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Life without Ben = 80's

Probably in the minority here but IMO Ben has taken too much of a beating to play a decent 16 games for us. Maybe the Mason will develop into a something special, I don't think so but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Seems that when we do get the offense on a roll the defense will sh1t the bed and the cycle will continue once again. Well, at least that is how it seems to me over the past several years.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think this is the season when both sides of the ball play well.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That model is likely to be the staple for most NFL teams moving forward. KC got a SB with Mahomes under a rookie deal. Soon his big money and a couple of others they need to keep will cause a rebuild of younger talent on the other side of the ball. Every team is different, but the Steelers top 10 cap hits take up about 120 million of a 200 million cap. That means 43 or 45 other guys with the rest, plus practice squad. There is always going to be that struggle of getting a top talent NFL ready QB on the cheap and have the other components in place, then finding that other 'cheap' talent when your QB gets paid. In the next couple of years the Steelers are going to have to invest big bucks in key D players to keep a top D in place. Then will they get lucky enough to find that generational QB to lead the O for a couple of years. With a top D they can compete, and may even get to a SB with a moderate QB, but keeping at that level is nearly impossible.

11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    When Ben is done.

Let's face it, there is no answer to when to buy the replacement for a HOF QB.

Let's face it, it is almost guaranteed that there will be a year or two of rebuilding after a HOF QB.

So..............if we have to endure the year or two of rebuilding, why waste a single draft pick before that day comes? Draft the next Mahome at whatever the cost on start the next dynasty.

12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steelersfan35.

I hope all is well in your world.

Wow, I just read every post in this thread up to mine here. I am completely baffled by the lack of urgency in some of these responses. I am not knocking anyone just looking at this from a "Time" perspective. IMO, we are under the gun folks. There needs to be a sense of urgency when it comes to our QB situation and I mean like as of yesterday.

We have a great "D" and a very good "O". The "O" just has to be healthy and all stay on the field at the same time. We have very good Skill-Set players on the "O" contrary to what some may think. Again speaking of "Time". If Ben is not ready to go or has a setback, and we do not have a solid "Contingency Plan" in place, we are toast.

It will be a rerun of last season if Mason and Duck are our "Contingency Plan".
    Again with "Time". How long do you think we can keep this "D" together? This "O" together? A healthy Ben and this supporting cast, and we are in the Super Bowl conversation folks. No Ben or quality Back-Up, no Super Bowl conversation. Again, we can just rewind last season's film and watch it because in all likelihood that is what this coming season will look like again.Things change for many reasons due to "Time":
    • Cap Issues
    • Injuries
    • Free Agency
    • Retirements
    • Coaching changes

I have seen some on here over the years talk about the same "Time" concept that I am pointing out. "Time" is never on anyone's side in professional sports folks. Yes, some seasons may buy a team a little more than in other seasons but here is an original saying that I created. Please think about this as it applies to our team and maintaining its personnel composition:

"Time is the greatest thief known to man". - Steelwinds

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Hey STEELWINDS

I'm not sure what the urgent reaction should be unless it is to build the best O line that we can. Ben is our ONLY hope at this point and probably with this defense. There is nobody on the roster who we believe can get us in the discussion or carry us if inserted late in the season. What can we do? Trade up and draft Herbert and sit Ben?

Our urgency was missed when we hired Futchner as Ben's yes man because now all of our eggs are literally in Ben's basket but that's what we have. "Dance with the girl what brung ya"

14. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

:rolleyes:

15. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I think the NFL is beyond the days of grooming a guy for 2 or 3 years (yes, I saw what GB did). We have a ~2 year window with Ben. Let's do all we can with that and then worry about it. When he's gone, we should have a strong Defense and there will be options for QB. We could actually move up in a draft and there are always vets around that can be useful if the team around them is good.