1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What's up with Pouncey?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I didn't focus in on his blocking last year but it was hard to miss the errant snaps!

I hear people saying he's done but I don't know enough to agree or disagree, I just wonder what the hell made him start snapping the ball all over the place?

Is it because he's lost a step and moving to his bloc before the snap?

Is he hurt?

Was it just an anomaly?

2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ben used to make some amazing catches of bad snaps ... Pounce has never been a great snapper.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You need to watch the blocking closer before just saying our qbs suck.

It was evident that a lot of pressure came up the middle last year. That puts the pocket or lack there of on top of the qb.

The arc or outside of the pocket comes around the sides and should be pushed past the qb to allow him to step forward. When he can't step forward because of the pressure up the middle it allows the arc rushers to get hands on him too. This making it look like AV and feiler were not doing what they should be doing. It also keeps our qb from stepping into throws, and it causes check downs to the closest open receiver, which fans also blame on the qb and OC.

There is a problem in the middle of our oline. People say they brought extra pressure because we didn't throw downfield but they also brought it because they could run over Pounce y and past foster on a regular basis. That also leads to bad snaps.

It was a double edged sword. Not just one sided against a young qb. It goes on with ben in there too, just not as noticeable because Ben throws guys off and moves around a little better, plus he's veteran enough to call hot routes when he had AB. We have a problem and until we change some players it will get worse.:cool:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm not sure why Pouncey is thought of to be so terrifically great. I grew up on Dirt Dawson, he was amazing. But, ever since Pouncey came here I thought he's good, but not on the level of every NFL fan thinks of him.

I think playing center for the Steelers, the NFL fans think your good. Kind of like if you play QB for the Dallas Cowboys.

Mansfield, Webster, Dawson, all really great centers. Center is an extremely difficult position, it's the one I played when it high school.

I think Pounce is good but, I often think he's over rated by NFL fans. Not trying to knock Pounce but just how I feel.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Maybe he has Steve Sax problem. That boggled my mind when he couldn't throw to first base from second base. Mental problem for sure. I can't remember the Pirate who had a similar problem. Steve Blass???

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes - Blass, but as a pitcher not an infielder. Rick Ankiel had same problem as Blass but went on to be a very good hitting center fielder. Then there's Jon Lester who as a pitcher can't throw to the bases - still can't figure out why opponents don't steal on him every time they have a runner on base.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Pouncey definitely is not what he used to be. Simply too many injuries in his prime. His best days sadly are way behind him.

As a result, teams are using that shortcoming and more to their advantage. This is yet another reason why I think a plug n play rookie guard is essential. If not that, kick Feiler inside and draft Pouncey's successor next season as I do not see his successor this year UNLESS Ceaser Ruiz from Michigan somehow falls to the third comp pick.

8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Even though a short time...Hartings too

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Cruiz is good but there are some really good ones after the 3rd as well. Actually this is a good draft to get linemen in and even after the draft. Several guys that can play multiple positions. This draft is actually loaded with some need positions on the line. I'd still sign finney though it we could. Banner can play guard too. Gray was pretty good at maryland. We shall see. I thought Hawkins was playing his best ball last preseason finally and then we traded him. He actually could be signed back cheap. Injuries were his problem the first couple of years. It is time to reload. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    When there was a clean pocket, Mason and Hodges both chose not to step into it several times.

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mason moving his feet? :roflmao:
    It's his biggest problem, footwork.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    and ben. Sometimes there is coverage. There isn't a qb alive that hasn't been sacked because of coverage and no escape lanes. More often then not it was an onslaught and a collapsing pocket on top of them.:cool:

13. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Could this have had something to do with Munchak leaving?

From the PG

There has been a narrative that he left for a lateral job because he did not like what was going on with the Steelers, who missed the playoffs for the only time since he joined them. Not one bit true, Munchak declared.“It was a family decision all the way,---

Besides Pouncey, the LG had been showing some age in recent years, the RT left in FA,[fortunately Feiler was even better] and even Villanueva is like 32.

In another thread I asked

"Did anyone see this fading of the OL coming?"

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Yes. At the end of the 2018 season (after AB jumped ship) pretty much everything I said would happen has happened, including an aging Oline needing help at multiple positions. It was in a post titled 'AB' from last january that was about 100 pages long. I took plenty of ridicule for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Definitely living off of reputation at this point. For the money, it's a problem.

16. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm with you Jeff Hartings was a solid FA signing. He played guard with the Lions and converted to Center when he came here. I liked Jeff Hartings,

17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  18. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Perfect storm. Declining OL, inexperienced qb, and no AB drawing attention. Defenses knew we had no threat against man coverage without AB who could beat just about anyone one on one. Against the blitz, AB and Ben were usually on the same page and could break off a route when needed. The Deer and Duck had no receiver, or experience, to get out of bad situations. The declining OL play just made things worse, for all the reasons you already mentioned.

19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    At least you were right about everything! I wish I could do that:smiley1:

20. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Being right about everything is exhausting, trust me. But to be fair, it's probably just as exhausting for @Formerscribe being wrong about everything. :roflmao:

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I was just kidding! I am 63 years old and haven't been wrong yet! I thought I was once but I was mistaken:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    so then you have been wrong once :lolol:

what were you thinking you could be wrong?

• Like Like x 1
  23. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    It’s called old injured and washed up. Happens to the best of us

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Thank God I was wrong about being wrong.:hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    And it will happen to Ben in the not too distant future.