1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Donnie Shell Is A 2020 HOF'ER

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWARRIOR, Jan 15, 2020.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Both are the victims of overwhelming success from the overall team and is completely a slap in the face to their individual achievements.

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Very weird. Especially the Bill Cowher and Jimmy Johnson announcements. Certainly different than normal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    GREAT GREAT NEWS. Well deserved.

5. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So, let me get this straight. We have pretty much a horrible season and that's what it take to get all of these accolades.
    1) TJ is probably gonna win DPOY
    2) Coach Cowher get into HOF
    3) Troy get into the HOF
    4) Shell get into the HOF
    5) and maybe Faneca into HOF
    Wow ... maybe Tomlin's is on to something here with these below avg seasons ... lol (I just couldn't help myself). But seriously, this really does ease the pain of a disappointing season. Congrats guys .... you all deserve it. Now, can we please petition to get LC Greenwood in the HOF?!

6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Ok...wtf? Centennial class? So if I understand this correctly...this is the 2020 class and no Polamalu? Just when I thought my blood pressure would go down after Patriots were one and done....and now this sh!t. :facepalm:

7. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm happy for Cowher and Shell...very deserving, but Polamalu is more deserving, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Watt will not win DPOY

9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Based on what?!

10. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

These are just contributors and players retired more than 25 years, an additional 15 players/coaches/etc to the normal class of 5 (or less). The other five, the normal HOF class, will be announced the Saturday before the Super Bowl. And Troy is really considered the only lock.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

No no no.

As you said, this is just the Centennial Class. The 2020 Class themselves have not been announced yet. They will be on the eve of the Super Bowl I believe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Really don’t think Cowher is that deserving. Think all the time he spends on NFL network helped his cause immensely. Shell, most probably deserves the call. But Troy is hands down a member of the Hall of Fame.

13. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019

Common sense. And the fact that Stephon Gilmore already won it

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:hi:

My mistake.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    Easily the greatest draft class of all time. It’s almost impossible to fathom drafting Swann, Lambert, Stallworth and Webster and then picking up Shell as an UDFA. It was the foundation for 4 Super Bowls in 6 years and the greatest dynasty (I’m biased) in NFL history.

16. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steellamb86.

I am with you. On the other hand, it may take away a little "thunder" away from Coach Cowher's and Donnie Shell's selections. You know, kind of "diluting" the love in a weird sense if they are all inducted at the same time. I am actually a little surprised that the committee selected two Steelers in the same year. I know in one way that does not make sense. In another it does. Troy's day is coming for sure. You can bet your bottom dollar on that. Do not worry, Troy's day is coming and I think much sooner than later. Just a little patience.

As SDOT stated, in this thread "I think they are just trying to give everybody their shine". I have to agree. Once again, IMO, too many Steelers at one time, in a sense, may take away from the anticipation factor and not to downplay the honor by any means, may kind of "dilute" the process a bit if that makes any sense. :shrug:

Plus, you have to realize that we have so many players in there (Big Smile), and those waiting in the wings to be there, that it is probably overwhelming (also "jealousy" IMO) for the powers to be to keep putting Steelers in there. In the end "The Truth Shall Prevail" as the saying goes (Big Smile again). Our guys will get there: Polamalu, Faneca, Greenwood, Russell, etc. I just love it for our players, fans and all of the haters who despise us. We are so freakin' awesome! Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  17. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Joshi.

You are not biased at all my friend. You just speak the truth! We are the greatest NFL franchise of all time for so many different reasons. Make no mistake about it (Big Smile). Take care.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  18. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey LambertsDentist.

I have not chatted with you in a while. I hope all is well! Yes, Any Russell is well-deserving. No doubt about it. You know I am having a blast posting in this thread today. Shoot, why don't they just induct any Steeler player who played in the 1970s. That would cover everyone(smile). I have always associated him and Jack Ham as being "attached at the hip". Kind of like Swann and Stallworth. Take care.

19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    There’s still time for Troy to be announced... why is everyone fretting lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey STEELWARRIOR.

First I want to start off with the positive. Congratulations to Donnie Shell for being selected to the HOF! So, So deserving.

Given that, I am extremely disappointed here folks. This is directed at all of the Steelers' fans, and more specifically Donnie Shell fans, who have been complaining for years that he was not in the HOF and have not posted here, yet. I see hundreds of views for the thread but only 43 posts as I respond at this given moment? That is it folks? Wow! Very Disappointing! This thread should have over 500 posts by now! It should be at the top of this Forum every day for a while. I am serious. This is Monumental! Donnie Shell was a very, very special player for so many reasons. I will try to post later with a more positive take on this. Come on now people! Take care everyone.

21. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Donnie Shell HOF :cool:

Donnie Shell before Troy IMO

22. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey STEELWARRIOR and Everyone else here. What a well-deserving and monumental event for Mr. Donnie Shell. Way overdue but he finally got there. Congratulations to the "Torpedo".

Donnie the “Torpedo” Shell, was truly a special find; especially given the fact that he went undrafted and went all the way to the Hall of Fame. What an incredible story. He was on the outside looking in on the "Infamous 1974 Hall of Fame Draft Class” of the Steelers that included:
    • Lynn Swann
    • Jack Lambert
    • John Stallworth
    • Mike Webster
    Donnie Shell played his Collegiate Football at South Carolina State University which is one of the Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in the United States. At the time, not many players were drafted from these institutions.

However, the Pittsburgh Steelers should be credited as “Pioneers” of a sort for seeking out the untapped talent from these schools. The Rooneys, along with the rest of the Steelers’ Front Office, were "Visionaries" with an eye for talent no matter where the best played football. As a side note, our beloved Javon Hargrave also played there. Great job Steelers!

His NFL career accolades were many. They include:
    • As a Strong Safety, he still holds the All-Time NFL record for Interceptions with 51.
    • 5 Pro Bowls.
    • 3 First Team All-Pro.
    However, for me, the most memorable event of his career was On December 3rd, 1978 when Shell delivered a rib-breaking "Collision" that he put on Earl Campbell as the Steelers beat the Oilers, 13-3. It was a game that that the Steelers needed to win. The triumph captured the Division Title and eventually propelled them to their third Super Bowl victory. Below is a link to that hit. So, get the popcorn, beverage of your choice, kick up on your favorite spot to park it and enjoy the show! Take care Everyone.

https://twitter.com/steelersdepot/status/1144335974022832128

STEELWINDS
    AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 1
  23. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
  24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Your thinking is wrong on Cowher, I never see him on the NFL network. Bill earned his gold jacket. Look at what he did in his tenure & compare to the rest of the league during that time. The Chin was only behind J. Johnson during his run.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

:facepalm:

• Like Like x 1