1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Snell or Connor

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Tiggs99, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    This is a conundrum. Offense seems to have better flow with Snell. Sure he doesn’t get the flashy 10-20 yard run, but he does get 2-3 yards per carry to start out and punishes the defense. He puts the offense in third and manageable unlike Connor who is feast or famine. Also by third quarter, Snell has softened the defense and they want no part of him. Connor doesn’t do that punishing run. Running by committee doesn’t seem to work.

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Any chance Bettis could give us 10-12 carries a game:)

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is not a conundrum at all. The only real issue with Conner last night was that he didn't get the ball enough. He is better than Snell in every way. He is quicker to the hole, more explosive when he gets there and a much better option as a receiver.

The only thing Snell does better is show up healthy enough to play. I'm not dismissing that. It matters. Conner's lack of durability is a huge problem. But when both are healthy, Conner is better and it's not close.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
  4. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    It’s Bettis or Barry Sanders argument, both of whom I watched. Barry is a threat to take it to the house on any play, but he also has a whole bunch of plays where he loses or gains nothing. Bettis gives you 3 yards and a pile of dust. By the end of the game, defense is worn out. Connor doesn’t wear out the defense. Bettis won a Super Bowl with a 2nd year qb. Sanders only had one playoff win.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Sorry, but no. Conner is a physical runner, probably a better comparison to Bettis than Sanders. They just didn't let him do that last night

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Conner.

Was health even an issue last night? For him to only get 8 carries when he was averaging 5.5 ypc is criminal.

Fichtner had no clue what he was doing last night.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    James Conner was the X factor and played the best last night.

They were worried about his shoulder and limited his touches and it screwed them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Bettis didn't have a whole lot to do with that super bowl season. It was more about Willie Parker, who compares to Barry Sanders (loosely). Just sayin', since you drew the comparison.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is a fair point, too. Bettis was the backup running back, though he did have a few big moments, including a great performance against the Bears. If I remember correctly, that included his iconic run in which he went right through Brian Urlacher.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    That Bettis run through Urlacher started an 8 game run to the title. I think the Steelers had dropped 3 in a row going into that Chicago game. Bettis had his moments that season for sure.

11. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I agree he is easily the better player and they were trying to protect him. What a difference he could have made this season if he was healthy. They really need a feature back for next season to take the pressure off Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Iowasteelersfan784

Iowasteelersfan784 Active Member

Jan 6, 2018
    Conner for sure. I was screaming at the TV wondering why Conner wasnt getting the ball fed to him more often. I put most of the blame on the OC. But if Conner is still banged up, maybe why he wasnt involved more often. :shrug:

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If he couldn’t be expected to carry the ball more than 8-9 times in the game he shouldn’t of dressed. Especially at the expense of a DL that could of done a better job than McCullers. He was in the game late he was just mysteriously MIA in certain critical situations. Sometimes I think they try and get too cute and do the bare minimum to win games. I think not exposing Conner to more contact was a example of that. It was a failure on their part.

14. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I think Connor is the bettor overall runnor. I just wish he would be able to play more than 2 games without getting injurod.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Easy. Both.

We need both of them.

The problem is when Chestpumper allows Fuchtnuts to abandon the running game. A healthy mix of the two coupled with some creative playcalling could keep most defenses honest and the pressure off a young qb.

16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Connor with a full back!

Is it really impossible to sign another fullback?

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Coach Randy might as well have been in the North pole with the other kid's
    he really has no clue what is going on. And especially Sunday night against the Bills.

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    What I don't understand is that Snell was only used in two, that's two offensive series. Not injured. Two. All this as Tomlin stated the week before he gets better as the game goes on and has brought back our run game. Connor came in with a head of steam and made some nice runs but then was used sparingly. Then the Wildcat. I feel they were treating him with kid gloves and that the shoulder is not 100 percent. So lets just throw it all over the lot. Five running backs active.

Fitchner needs to go but Tomlin signed off on this, as he always says.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Go back to running back by committee.

20. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Connor by a wide margin. FYI 2-3 yards per carry is terrible

21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am a big Snell fan but with that said Conner is the lead dawg and showed it right off the bat Sunday night. Why they went away from him is beyond me and why the game plan changed IDK but I say run Conner and mix in Snell and Whyte. Memo to Fitch stop with the fancy stuff until we get some flow, that wild cat inside the 10 was just dumb. Use the guys we have lets get something going and get these guys settled in for the playoff run.

22. Tiggs99

Oct 30, 2019
    It is what Bettis did to start the game, and he increased it to 5-6 yards per carry in third fourth quarter. Bettis had Kordell as his qb when he was in his prime and they would stack the line, but he would still make it work.

Snell is no Bettis. My argument is that with Connor you end up more frequently in 3rd and long, which stalls the drive and makes play calling more predictable. If it’s 2nd and 10, chances are you are going to pass. If it’s 2nd and 6 or 7, you could run or pass. Keeps defense honest. The offense gets in a rhythm and has more flow. Plus it takes time of the clock.

One run of ten yards followed by two runs of zero yards is a drive killer as statistically, percentage goes down dramatically in converting a first down from 3rd and 8 or longer as compared to 3rd and 2.

23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
  24. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Damn Conner looked good...To bad we didn't use him

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Comparison is not even close 48 states removed however I get ya.