1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Whatever happened to...........

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Spartacus, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Spartacus

Spartacus Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2012
    .....our offensive line? Did they completely forget how to pass protect or open holes for anyone? Garrett, Ogunjobi, and Schobert all had very impressive games yesterday. Mason was under constant pressure. Bring Munchack back ASAP, relocate his family to Pittsburgh, and have the Rooneys pay for that. A lot of problems go away simply by fixing the o-line.

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Mike Munchak left. Simple as that. Thought it would take 2 years to see it but boy was I wrong.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I believe it has more to do with Munchak leaving. Keep in mind that only David DeCastro and Matt Feiler are under the age of 30. The rest of the line is 30 or over. Their age is beginning to show itself.

This is all the more reason that I personally keep pounding the table for the team to spend their highest pick in 2020 on an Offensive Center. There is no succession plan behind Maurkice currently. Given the fact he is off the books in 2021, best to look for a Center in 2020 to stay ahead of the curve.

Creed Humphrey or Tyler Biadasz would be my first two options. Find weapons for Mason later. Pittsburgh cannot afford to repeat the same mistake that essentially turned Big Ben into a beating bag early in his career.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Play calling is part of the issue. Hard to block 8 players in the box with 5-7 lineman. Up the gut, up the gut, 3rd and long, MR pressured, punt. See, I just told you what our 1 st possession will be next week.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The series after the 2nd missed field goal by the Browns which saw a good first down play that moved them down field and into at least Boz's range showed just how inexperienced Mason is. The disastrous series that put them out of field goal range had a play where both interior receivers on both sides had a free release to the inside and 5 to 7 yards of space before having a defender running after them. If MR takes a 3 step drop and fires he has a completion and possible 1st down throw. Instead he takes a 7 step drop, step forward twice, and looks down field where by this time his receivers were 15 to 20 yards down field and covered and he makes a bad throw.

I have no idea why presnap they aren't telling him if you see them stacking the line but giving your slot receiver a 5 yard cushion, take it. Throw a quick hitter and let your man do the work. I mean at this point it's worse than Ben wanting his guys to be college open before he throws.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Please print out this post and send it to:

Heinz Field c/o Randy Fichtner
    100 Art Rooney Ave
    Pittsburgh PA 15212

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You don't take a center with the highest pick, he probably won't play much as a rookie. With their second round pick they need a player who is going to contribute in 2020.

8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    They have been good at pass protection up until the Browns game.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Have any idea who is Maurkice's succession plan then?! I can tell you this without question. He is not on the roster.

10. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Surely left tackle is more urgent than center? Given they are likely to be picking somewhere around the middle of the second round I think you just go best player available on the board.

Virtually every position on offence is a need in 2020.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    So what he has 2 years left, I'm not using no second round pick on a backup center. If they lose Dupree and Hargrave, are you still going to draft a center in the second round?

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

To answer your question, depends on how this season concludes. As far as him having two seasons left, he will be 32. Pouncey has been up and down all season; the entire offensive line no less. That cannot continue moving forward as it is unclear as to how many good games Pouncey has left.

At some point, Pittsburgh needs to find the next Center. Big Ben will be back but 2020 could be his last season. Pouncey's last season will likely be in 2020 the same. So, before the Offensive Line becomes an issue yet again as it was for Big Ben during 2006-2013, how about avoiding that all together and ensuring Mason does not suffer the same fate.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    IMO 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft needs to be a BPA/ position of need balance. We can’t be reaching to fill a need. Without really knowing where the depth is in this draft I don’t think you’re getting a top LT or C in the middle of the 2nd where it seems we may be picking. I would put LT over C though...l

14. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes that’s my view on it too. It may be a case of trying to keep the line together for one more year before an overhaul starts. Finney, Feiler and Banner are all free agents presumably they will try to keep at least one of them but there is a shortage of offensive linemen around the league and they will have other offers. Chuks has not convinced to date which is a pity but time is on his side.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Randy would throw it in the garbage without even opening it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He’s too busy planning his bass fishing trips when the season ends...:smiley1:

17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We could lose Dupree w/o missing a beat imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Who will take his spot at OLB?

19. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Anybody but Chickallo. Seriously, have we ever won a game because we had Dupree out there?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I expect Ben and Pouncey to play their contracts out to 2021, they need to find Pouncey's successor but I'm not using that second round pick on that player they have bigger needs to address. If Chubba Hubbard or Jonathan Taylor or some random center are all on the board in the second round, who are you drafting?

21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    With no first round pick, and not a lot of money to spend in free agency, it will be tough finding a starting caliber player at that position.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Random center?! Interesting statement. As for the answer, see above.

23. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Middle of the second round is a prime spot for a durable, quality RB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    And who is more likely to help in 2020, a stud RB or a backup center?

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Tell that to AQL :hehehe: