1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Overall playoff picture...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 15, 2019.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Despite the loss the Steelers are still in good shape still in the wildcard race I feel to get in the playoffs if they win 9 games. As long as they win the next 2 games at the Bengals and the rematch with the Browns at home, beat the Bills at home, and win one of those road games at Arizona, the Jets, or at Baltimore that gets them to 9 wins and that will get them in the playoffs and win them tiebreakers I feel over teams like the Bills and Colts who will also finish no better then 9-7 and even a team like the Titans if they happen to finish 9-7. The Browns will also be no better then 8-8 especially if the Steelers beat them in the rematch in 2 weeks.

I still think the wildcard teams in the AFC will be the Steelers and the Raiders. They both have the easiest paths and that’s how it will play out. The Steelers will finish 9-7 with a AFC Conference record of either 8-4 or 7-5 and they will win head to head tiebreakers over both the Colts and Bills who will both finish no better then 9-7. That’s the path to the playoffs and that’s how things will play out. So despite the loss and the 5-5 record the Steelers are still in good shape to be one of those two wildcard team.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yeah I think it’s still there for the Steelers but they need to bolster the offence as discussed on the other thread.

9-7 might do it. Lots of football to be played yet. @Arizona is going to be really tough and I don’t expect them to beat the Ravens in Baltimore so they need to beat the Bengals, Browns, Bills and Jets

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Pretty much how I saw it even in yesterday's aftermath honestly. The concussions though will be something to watch; JuJus most notably. Have to see if he can play.

If the injured can get back to 100% within the allotted time, I like our chances better than without. However, one thing is for certain and two is for sure...

The team HAS to start MUCH, MUCH faster to get in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    This offense is so bad I’m not even sure we can beat bills Arizona browns jets

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  5. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    That's the problem. Their last two wins only happened because the D scored a touchdown. If the D or ST doesn't score I'm not sure they can win a game right now. Without a defensive TD the team is 2-5.

The thing is this was entirely foreseeable (in retrospect at least). The offense was all dink and dunk early on and you knew the league was going to adjust and force Rudolph to try and go down the field and so far he and the offense hasn't responded.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    There’s a decent chance that we could be playing a Ravens team in Week 17 that has clinched both the division and their playoff seeding. We could be playing them w/o Jackson and a few other key players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah they pretty much won the division yesterday

8. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    As of now the raiders are the 6 seed, and the colts are 5-4 in front of us, plus pouncey will be suspended, 3 players out with concussions, plus this offense is a disaster so any playoff talk at this time or even later is ridiculous and the way we have started our 5 game road trip doesn't look promising at all to me, and this Oline is a huge weak link, so talking playoffs with this team makes me laugh....

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    Well we should talk playoffs because the Steelers are still in a good position to make them. Last night was terrible no doubt and there are somethings to clean up and a lot of injuries but I don’t think the offense will be as bad as it was last night moving forward. The D will keep this team in a lot of games and will give them a chance to win weekly.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. chuckie_os

chuckie_os Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah.. Not too sure after last nights game if we even deserve playoffs.. Our QB looks scared, he overthrows EVERYONE... and not to mention can't get any sort of third and less than 3 yards.. Yes i understand that has to do with the O-Line as well, but does he ever call an audible on certain plays?? Yes this is his what 10th game playing as a QB in the NFL, but Duck looked more relaxed and had more ability than Mason..
    Right now we do not control our own destiny, some other team does..

Oakland has remaining games against: Bengals, Jets, Chiefs, Titans, Jags, Chargers, and Broncos... They stand 5-4.. Going by that schedule they'll end up 9-7 (losing to Chiefs, Titans, and either chargers or Jags)...
    Colts have: Jags, texans, titans, bucs, saints, panthers, jags.. They also sit 5-4... and they can end up at 9-7 as well... Good thing with that is we have head to head tie breaker..

I am thinking though the Bills will crap the bed... They have finished their easy portion of the schedule and get into games with Cowboys, Us, Pats, Ravens... IF we win our game against them, that can take them to 9-7 as well..

Wildcard race comes down to first to win 10 games.

Unless we make some changes and get healthy soon... I don't see us making a WC..

11. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Keep on dreaming about playoffs you all, with this s**ty team thats all you got....:smiley1:

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    You might be right. That would be the only way we have a chance to beat them in Baltimore,

13. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    With this offense I can’t see why anyone would be excited about the playoffs. It’s awful. A simple QB change won’t fix it. The running game is non-existent. The receivers are mediocre at best. And the O-line is not as good as advertised. Even if the team were to somehow squeeze into the playoffs they’d just be embarrassed in the first round.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. SteelersForLife8810

SteelersForLife8810 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
  15. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m happy for you that you get to take pleasure in a loss :applaud:

16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    This team is not going to the playoffs,:facepalm: Does MG need to come over and beat yall with a helmt for that to sink in .....:shrug:

17. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    On December 1st at about 8 o clock at night after the Steelers beat the Browns I expect the AFC wildcard standings to look like this.

Bills 8-4- Will go 2-1 their next 3 games they will win in Miami, beat Denver at home and lose in Dallas on Thanksgiving.

Steelers 7-5- They will win their next 2 games at Cincy and at home with the Browns.

Raiders 7-5- They will go 2-1 in their next 3 win their next 2 games home against the Bengals and at the Jets, and lose in Kansas City.

Colts 7-5- Will probably go 2-1 in their next 3 games they will beat the Jags at home, lose in Houston, and probably beat the Titans the following week.

So the Steelers will be the 6 seed at the end of that night based on having the head to head tiebreaker over the Colts as they both would be 7-5 and having a better AFC record then the Raiders at 6-3 to the Raiders 5-3, and still one game behind the Bills with a head to head meeting in a few weeks.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Here’s the thing - this team just had a 5-1 stretch prior to last night. We have 6 games left, with a schedule that’s probably a little bit more favorable than the schedule we went 5-1 against. It’s very possible.

I’m under no illusion that we would be a legit contender for the AFC title, but making the playoffs with the injuries we’ve sustained, and with an 0-3 & 1-4 start, would be a great achievement that fans should celebrate if it happens.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    If you consider this mess a playoff team then your the one taking pleasure in their ineptitude in losing to a team they were incapable of beating, obviously playing on the road is their achilles heel, 4 road games to go.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think this is the most probable situation at the end of Week 13.

21. steel_ben7

Nov 16, 2015
    It will more then likely happen. The Steelers are still in good shape after this loss and if they win their next 2 games at Cincy and at home against the Browns they will be in great shape to get in the playoffs and like I said will be the 6 seed come 8 o clock that night.

22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The reality is that the playoffs are very much within reach. After the 4 division leaders, the remaining teams are very flawed. We’re one among a bunch of teams that have legit hopes of making it as a wild card.

Ridiculing Steeler fans who are discussing how that can happen is lame. It sounds to me like you’d rather miss the playoffs so that you can say “I told you so.”

23. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I'll say it now, I told you so....

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Like I said. Glad you can take pleasure in a loss. Lame.

25. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    It's just hard to imagine after last night. I'm not saying that it's not possible but I'm less optimistic now.

The defense played fine. It would have been nice if they could've come up with a timely turnover but you can't expect that every game. They played well enough to win, especially considering the many turnovers.

The offense was hideous. I realize they started losing players throughout the night but they looked terrible from the get go. They've barely been getting by with the defense carrying the lion's share.

I feel like defenses will just continue to stack the line and bring pressure from everywhere and they're not going to have an answer for it.