1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When the game is on the line....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by takenoprisoners1, Oct 7, 2019.

1. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    I missed most of the game as I was in church this morning on the West Coast, but went back and watched on game pass.... A close game down the stretch.... it seems like it's always the kiss of death when the game is on the line.... But FIRST.... some repetitive observations....

What a disastrous first 10 minutes.... for those that like to criticize game planning and readiness, what a treasure trove to draw from. Undisciplined on ST and that wildcat pass from deep in our own end....sometime you shake your head and wonder if this is a real football team....

THEN.... Mason is allowed to be a QB.... and things start clicking. I saw some posts about him not being a high-caliber QB.... I'm not sure what they're watching. He's not perfect, but he seems to have command and presence and I like watching him....

The defense is getting fun to watch. 3 INT's, sacks, defending passes (unless of course it's to a tight end over the middle of the field).

2nd and 1 deep in the red zone.... and back to the wildcat that hadn't worked....when other things ARE working....loss of 5....SIGH...

Bad clock management (again) at the end of the first half. Can't let that clock tick down to nothing. Why is it so hard for them to see? You've got a timeout....STOP THE CLOCK!!!!!

Don't think the hit on MR was deliberate with his movement forward, but brutal as all hell. They didn't even TALK ejection which was surprising.....

Hodges came out and moved the ball, both with his legs and in the air. Was also fun to watch. Again, not perfect, but better than I expected.

Boswell keeps making kicks.... should be a good sign except that we have to keep relying on him instead of scoring touchdowns. But when he makes the kick that puts the Steelers up 23-20, then the game is on the line. A stop and the Steelers win. Defense has been balling to that point. A bad roughing call and TE passes later and *SIGH* Just Tucker sneaks another one in just inside the upright....of course.

Overtime.... woohoo we win the coin toss! And....a 5 minute conversation takes place after the simple coin flip....and we're kicking. On the surface, it seems like a stupid, defeatist thing to do. But then I've reflected after watching the game.....and..... it still seems like a stupid, defeatist thing to do. If overtime was 3-3 and neither team could move the ball and defense had dominated throughout, I might understand. If Hodges had no use of either hand and couldn't walk, then yes.... I guess your defense would have to win the game....

You're at home....
    Your offense had been moving the ball....(don't care that it's Devlin Hodges..... you're likely still going to need offense to win the game)
    Your defense just gave up the game-typing points.... when a stop would have won the game
    The argument that Tucker had been pinning the Steelers is specious (yeah, I got that from watching King of Queens). Holton shouldn't have come out of the end zone (a stupid play), and the only other one I remember was Switzer cutting sideways instead of going upfield. And when we were pinned deep, Hodges came out and moved the ball well.

It didn't affect the outcome, but I still believe it was a very bad decision -- one consistent with bad decisions I've seen in Tomlin's tenure. The offense would STILL have to move the ball whether or not the defense stopped them.... Believe in them.... they had been moving and scoring even without MR....

Great defensive play against Juju. Horrible break on the path of the ball that looked to be going out of bounds....but then... the game was on the line and it seems like it's been a LONG time since the breaks bounce our way.

Man, there's talent there....it just gets difficult when you can predict what the outcome is going to be....when the game is on the line....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Special Teams is killing us. Danny Smith on the hot seat?

3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    We're wishing you would have stayed in Church longer today, might have helped?

• Like Like x 1
  4. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The defensive meltdowns at the most crucial times is inexcusable. Fumbles happen, turnovers happen, how about stepping up when the light is hottest? Their are to many 1st round picks on this defense for them to fold the show.

Their needs to be change. Their won't be because now their is a built in excuse, lost Ben, Lost Mason for a bit. The losses will mount, but it means nothing for change.

5. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    We keep shooting ourselves in the foot. That's on offseason camp culture and preparation. Just did not come into this season right, and now they are trying to catch up, to tighten the loose bolts on the fly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. cral22

cral22 Active Member

Oct 17, 2016
    i agree, but this is like the 5th game in the last 20 we have lost because a stud offensive player has fumbled at the end of the game...

7. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Defense did step up yesterday. Made a stop in overtime and I believe they would have made the stop at the end of regulation if not for a completely pathetic roughing the fairy penalty

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe he swalled his wad of gum and could not think clearly because of it, just saying!!!:shrug:

9. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    7 of the last 8 games the Steelers have lost going back to last season the Broncos, Chargers,Raiders, Saints, Seahawks, Niners, and Ravens were all lost in the last minute because of the defense not being able to make THE necessary stops to secure a win. Like I mentioned in another thread you gotta believe at some point this is gonna turn and the Steelers will hopefully find a way to win these close games they are gonna play coming up. I just can’t see them continuing to lose every single close game they play in without at least some kind of luck finally going there way as opposed to not going their way.

10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Mike Tomlin = slow start.

11. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    slow start=Cowher too.

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I think Cowher started "games" slowly because he was cautious. Tomlin seldom has the team ready for the "season".

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I remember the same sort of complaining about Cowher's teams starting slowly. Changes in what's allowed in training camp, I'm sure, have an impact on Tomlin's teams. Yeah, I know, "other teams don't start out this slowly"!

14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Start games bad and end games even worse. Play good in the middle lol