1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Rooney's have let us down.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Dagmire, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    I am new here, but have been a Steelers fan my whole life. I'm not the type of guy who immediately sees the worst in people. I like to give people a chance, but Tomlin is proving he is way over his head. The man cannot make in game adjustments. During the Patriot game all he did was march up and down the sideline with that supposed scary look on his face. And where was Belicheck? Even as he was beating the tar out of them for it seems like the 100th time, he was looking at photos and making changes into the 4th quarter. I don't expect him to be any where near his level, but you give him the talent that Tomlin has had and see what would have happened. I'm tired of his tomlinisms it's become old hat. It's a joke, he is a joke and if this was any other NFL team he would have been gone already. I am tired of the excuse and the pride they take in having only 3 head coaches in 40 years. I've lost all confidence in the Rooney's for letting this man continue to be average at best.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Then, be a Charger fan! They change coaches every couple of years! They even fire coaches after going 14-2! That should satisfy you!

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Tomlin should have been fired after the Jacksonville playoff loss along with Butler.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I was thinking after the Tebow playoff loss. That was absolutely inexcusable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    Tomlin is not a X's and O's coach. He is also not a gameday coach. This is why you don't see him doing anything on the sideline during the game. His job is to get his players ready for the game during the week. That is why you see such a well prepared team week in and week out.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018

Butler should have never been hired. One of the reasons for forcing Lebeau out was the scheme was outdated. So what do we do? we give the job to his Supposed protégé to run a similar system. Butler is simply not a DC.

The people that are succeeding in the NFL today are tacticians and people with new ideas. This is why you are seeing so many younger coaches coming in.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think its unfair to insist, that the Rooney's "Art Rooney Jr." is the problem for the downward spiral!!!! A lot has happened both professionally and personally to the whole organization and that trickles down to the players and team as a whole!!! for lack of a better explanation The Rooney's are the Mob Bosses who in turn pay the goons to get the job done right!! now the goons and the leaders of the goons are not getting it done for various reasons!!! Art Rooney Jr. is a business man who owns a professional Football Team he may not be emotionally invested like his Dad Dan or Granddad Art Sr. before him I could be wrong, but you don't see a whole lot of him lately!!! Dan was a unique owner who was always present and he had his finger print on everything!!! I wonder how many times in a week Art II attends practices or team meeting!!!! As fans we just have to prepared for the worst and hope for the best!!! Go Steelers:steelflag:

8. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018

You don't need to be personally invested to realize when your management (which you pay) is not doing their jobs correctly and that the same issues are present year in and year out. If you cant see that then either you hire someone to run the operation that can, or you accept an inferior product.

LEts not forget some of the recent debacles we have seen that have either happened with upper management (Colbert) or ownership. Such as the Retiring of multiple coaches that was paraded thru the news only to see said coaches take jobs elsewhere literally the next few days (and none of them were regression jobs). Both took either a lateral move or a move up in the ranks. What does that tell you? that's the signs of inept management.

Ownership either stands by the decisions made (if they didn't make the decision themselves) or turns a blind eye to it, either way they are where the buck truly stops. Ownership absolutely does not get a pass when nothing has been done to rectify any of these issues. IN fact the opposite has been done, they have allowed or enabled the same failing formula to continue.

9. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    For me, the more control he has gotten the worse the team has been. From the defense getting soft after LeBeau leaving and Ben seemingly pushing Haley out the door. The talent this team has had on offense is unprecedented. I can't help to only think that so many other coaches would have done better. When you have the number one ranked RB and WR and a top 5 QB, I just think a lot of opportunities were missed. As far as wanted a new coach just like the chargers, well ask Cincinnati how keeping a coach to avoid change worked out??

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    It's not the Rooneys, it's Art II. He is the owner and the decision maker. And the guy who seems satisfied with the Steelers as they are.

11. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought the same thing during most of the 1980's, late 90's and early 2000's and sometimes now. It goes up and down, just have to ride the wave.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Yeah that was disgusting. Blake freaking Bortles.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

14. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Steelers need to get thru this season and then go get Lincoln Riley and fire everyone and start fresh. Tomlin will have a job in 24 hours after the Steelers let him go, Steelers get 13 years from their coach, that's enough in this era. Everyone wins.

Steelers need to desperately get a coach who knows how to scheme and figure out how to adjust in game. I can't handle watching Mike Tomlin's terrible preparation and in game coaching. It's really bad. He is this generations George Seifert. Super Bowl winning coach that rode the talent and organization wave. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The Rooneys have put a contender out there year after year, all through the Cowher and Tomlin eras. Everybody hates where we are now. But Im not going go as far as to say they let us down.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    To make matters even worse with Rooney, Gerry Dulac said in his weekly post that Tomlin has got a pass this year from getting fired because of Ben's injury. I'm at a point now that I'm not sure what its going to take to get Tomlin fired. Not sure Rooney is just blind, hard headed, or just wants to keep the Steeler legacy of only 3 coaches in 30 years, or exactly why he doesn't see what many of us see.

Not sure now where we going with the Tomlin firing even though I thought he should of been fired along with his staff a few years ago. I used to love the Rooneys and their ways and how they handles their business, but very disappointed in him now on how he has handled Tomlin and his blind eye, AB situation and letting him go crazy, how Tomlin lied to James Harrison and let that go the it did. How Tomlin let Ben do his thing and not keep some restraints on Ben, how Tomlin lets DC talk for years about communications issues with defensive players and their assignments, how Tomlin and staff often don't make in game adjustments when others can plainly see what the problems are. This list can go on and on, but if Rooney doesn't see its time then there is something wrong with him.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  17. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011

A voice of reason. I live in Redskins country, a once proud 3X SB winning franchise that has been turned into a joke by an obnoxious, meddling owner, a few idiotic GMs, and a parade of coaches. The result is 5 playoff appearances and 2 playoff wins in 20 years. And that’s an owner that actually isn’t/wasn’t afraid to spend to bring in talent.

Yes things are frustrating when you feel that your team is underperforming, but I don’t feel let down at all. To the envy of my friends and colleagues that are skins fans, my team has been a perennial contender for much of my life, especially since 2004 and Ben’s arrival. People like to poke fun at the stat, but 15 years without a losing record is nothing to sneeze at in today’s NFL.

People look to the Patriots as the model organization, and with their track record of winning I don’t blame them. But if you examine other organizations instead, it helps put the Steelers’ success in better perception. Until last year, the Bills had gone 20 years without making the playoffs and their last playoff win was in 1995. The Browns have one playoff appearance in 20 years. The Lions haven’t won a playoff game since 1991 and have never even made a Super Bowl as a franchise. And these are clubs that pick at the top of the draft each and every year. Hell, even “America’s Team” the Cowboys have 4 playoff wins and no NFC Championship appearances since they won their last SB after the 1995 season.

Bottom line, yeah it would be nice if we had more wins like the Pats, but we are in a lot better shape than a majority of teams in this league, even with the rough year occurring right now. I expect life after Ben and eventually Colbert and Tomlin will be just fine with our ownership group.

• Like Like x 3
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Basic scheming to fit bortles and we couldn’t adjust and stop it. Butler is ass

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I agree with most everything you said except for it's actually been 3 coaches in 50 years.

I can see why they initially hired MT. He certainly has a way with words and they were probably impressed from the get go with that. A huge change from the other 2 coaches style wise but kind of similar nonetheless. He has succeeded to a degree and no one can deny that but he should have been replaced several times over before now. Who knows, maybe he pulls a rabbit out of his hat an we actually start making some noise. It's very doable in this division.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Ask the Chargers and the Browns how changing coaches like underwear has worked out! There’s tons of armchair coaches on here that want Tomlin gone but, very few can come up with a legit replacement who’s available!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Here's two, and both are just as random as Tomlin was when they hired him.
    Kevin Ross: Bucs dbacks coach
    George Edwards: Vikings DC

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Hmmm. Vikings have a pretty good defense.....

23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It's better than the Steelers, but that's not saying much.:unsure:

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Your hate for chargers is hilarious lol

25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The "current" Ronneys have squandered some of the best talent this league has ever seen, failed to use what was in house, fostered a three ring circus for the world to see and then denied it's existence, and are currently failing to put a contender on the field.

Ever since the transition of Dan Rooney to Art II, this team's management has been questionable at best and I don't think it's coincidence.