1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Hines ward comments on big ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by FootballAnalyst98, Feb 19, 2019.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2...shots-at-ben-roethlisberger-and-his-old-team/

I sometimes disagree with kind of how he comments on other people,” Ward said. “I know some guys might take that the wrong way. I know earlier in his career, he hated to be critiqued by some of the veteran guys himself.”

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...ed-by-Big-Ben-s-comments/stories/200801250172

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2014/10/former-steeler-hines-ward-talks-trash-about-big-ben/
    Well, I don’t know,” Ward said. “You look at it, he wants all the praise when we’re winning games, but when things are going bad, it seems like, ‘Well, I’m not the offensive coordinator.’ But you actually are the offensive coordinator, because you’re the one who’s calling the plays in no-huddle. And that’s what Big Ben wants to run.”

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Yeah that’s bull****. Don’t get me wrong Ben isn’t beyond reproach by any stretch of the imagination. However, he has pointed fingers at himself far more often than at others.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He also points at others. That usurps him pointing at himself. The real leaders dont point at others at all.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Do you even read?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Doesnt matter if it's more. The fact that HE DOES IT ALL usurps that. Leaders dont do it at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I think we can all agree that Ben is also an a hole. But he gives us the best chance to win so we're stuck with him and his prima Dana bs

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I never said get rid of Ben. That would be idiotic unless Mason Rudolph showed Jimmy garopollo or Aaron Rodgers esque progression. My thing is people act like he is just absolved form.anh criticism on what's been going on. Two things can be true.

8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    This is just one piece in the giant jig-saw puzzle that simply doesn't happen in great organizations. Differing opinions? Of course! Airing it public? NEVER!

Boy, do I miss the days when the Steelers were one of those organizations!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    The USS Steelers resembles a ship that is rudderless (meaning leaderless). All the grandstanding by Hines and whoever wants to get in on the criticism or to get some pub see an open invitation. Noting to stop them. Every one or two days something hits the wire and people gobble it up like its something new or different. The circular firing squad our team have put ourselves into needs to be broken. Its a slow period in the NFL and the goons with their keyboards will put anything out to get paid or recognized. And yes, sometimes leaders do have to get on people or call them out if that is the only way they can reach them. A one size fits all leadership style is hard to be successful with everyone as everyone is different. And if they do such a thing, it helps to be tactful. This is not to justify anything Ben does or doesn't do, just my take on leadership.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    B.S dude.
    We had our shared drama in the 70’s too.
    So if you guys have a real selective memory.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Yep! You will never see players emerge as leaders as long as Tomlin promotes open expression if and when you wish. If he can't change his spots, we are doomed.

12. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm racking my brain and can't for the life of me think of anything even in the same universe regarding the Steelers of the 70's? I remember Mel Blount suing Chuck Noll for his comment about a criminal element among defensive backs, I remember Bradshaw being at odds with Noll because he wanted to run a more wide open game, I remember Lynn Swann dancing on the field during TV timeouts.

Enlighten me?

• Like Like x 1
  13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    He point the finger at himself when it's obvious that his play cost us the game. But, using any way out ... he will divert the blame to anyone besides himself
    His constant slow starts and poor play in the beginning of games... with a talented offense. It make you scratch your head each week and wonder how a veteran qb could play like a 3rd string backup qb

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 6
  14. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    He doesn't

15. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Joe Gilliam?
    Ernie Holmes?

^^^^^
    He was arrested for shooting at the police for Crissakes! At least AB hasn't done that.....yet.

Not to mention that if you live local you've heard the stories of the bar fights and rabble rousing done by the roided up players of the 70s that in the days of 3 television channels and no internet never made it out of the Pittsburgh area.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben is really dr jekyl and hyde in all facets.

"I take full responsibility" / "I just run the plays being called"

*throws for 5 tds no picks* / *throws for 5 picks no tds*

*family man who donates to k9's* / *sleazeball*

Bi polar team too

me too

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mean Joe wanted to quit too but came to his senses in the parking lot.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What about Ernie Holmes shooting at police Helicopter?
    Terry Bradshaw being at odds with Noll and the Steelers?
    Rod Woodson at odds with management? We’ve had plenty of drama over the years.
    It’s not like it just started since Art 2 has taken over.
    Noll stunk for almost his last 10 years before he was finally forced out. He couldn’t sniff the success Tomlin has had that you complain constantly about.
    Some of you guys are so caught up in the moment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    And Justin Strelsyak sp? Flipped out on a roid rage, and went on a suiicide car ride

20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The difference is they were winning Super Bowls in the 70's. Also, one of the top players didn't sit out for an entire season. The other top player didn't pile up a list of public transgressions, then no show, then demand to be traded. Bradshaw didn't throw his team mates under the bus. The coach didn't run his mouth in a tv interview about a playoff match up that never happened. I could go on and on. There's really no comparison.

21. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    This is correct about Noll but of course that was after he lost his franchise QB and was stuck with Malone and Brister. Let's see how Tomlin will do when he has to find his own franchise QB. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I said it before I’ll say it again I’m ready for Tomlin to go now, but it’s not happening obviously. I understand people are upset about it but dang move on already.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This is a point I was going to make. Winning here is a lot. Steelers players are probably just spoiled as the Steelers fans are. When you’re used to winning and things aren’t working out you start pointing fingers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    You are grasping at straws that don't exist. Your sighting everything you can think of over a decade or more and it still doesn't add up to the circus going on over the last two years. The talent Noll had in his waning years was weak, the talent Tomlin has is the best this team has ever had. Regardless of the era, the technology, the media, or anything else you can think of, since 1969 the Steelers have NEVER been an embarrassment. The Steelers accomplishments have NEVER been over-shadowed by their drama. The Steelers have NEVER lost talent at such an alarming rate.

It's the NFL, it's played by uneducated millionaire buffoons with little or no real world sense, so yeah, there will always be ugly crap but despite some lean years, the Steelers have always run a tight ship based on NFL standards. Not any more!

25. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I can name a bunch of other stuff too. I thought maybe you’d get the point. I guess not.
    I do agree though things have gotten somewhat out of hand as of late, but not near a three ring circus like you keep blabbing about. It’ll get straightened out. Count on it