1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

3 plays that summarize our season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by takenoprisoners1, Dec 23, 2018.

1. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Not trying to diminish the positives we’ve seen especially on offense this year, but the smh moments have been too difficult to ignore. Sure, we’ve given up 3rd and longs a number of times, but the head shaking moments continue to overwhelm the thoughts looking back at the 2018 season. Not just turnovers or missed kicks of which we’ve had MANY untimely ones, but in general I’m thinking of.....

1) Walking away from a free kick after a safety against the Browns where somehow the entire Browns team knows the ball is live.

2) Sean Davis blowing up Joe Haden in the end zone on a sure INT against the Chargers and instead hands them a TD. Just puts his head down and doesn’t care what he hits....

3) Fake punt against the Saints. Now, think what you want about the call, gutsy, stupid whatever. In my opinion, Tomlin’s decisions in game and clock management border on sociopathic. But that’s NOT what I’ll remember about the play or call. What I’ll remember is the celebration that ensued by Steelers players after the play failed.... it’s just one of those moments you look at and think.... really? Is this what we’ve become?

A frustrating ending to a frustrating campaign. Yeah I know it’s technically not over, but.... I can’t imagine it continuing at this point..... still I’ll be rooting for Baker Mayfield to work some magic.... until we do something else half-assed to frustrate it...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That celebration was really odd. Nix was clearly stopped short. It wasn't even a tough call for the officials. I don't understand what he was thinking there.

The Davis play really is the worst single mistake by a Steeler all season. It was just incredibly stupid and it is one of quite a few unforced errors that sank the Steelers this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm not putting any nails in the coffin yet. Steelers can still make the playoffs and if they do can do some damage as well. Half of my frustration with this season comes from the men in stripes. No matter how you slice it we got hosed at several crucial times during some of our defeats. I know you need to overcome them but lately it's beyond ridiculous and even seems to be a stacked deck. Tell me I'm a whiner all you want but when questionable calls directly result in points for opposing teams, then I have a problem with the league in general overall.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    As an aside, on the pick in the endzone tonight, I did notice Davis doing a double-take behind him to make sure he wasn't taking out his own man again. So I guess... he learned something?

5. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    You forgot when AB and JuJu heroically and unbelievably pulled off a 50 yard lateral with seconds to spare and no timeouts in Oakland to get us in field goal range to tie a game we should have lost, just to watch Boswell slip on his ass and shank the short field goal. He should have been taken out to pasture for that.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Xavier Grimble fumble through the end zone in Denver. Tough play to play, ghost of Tebow game, we were just about to take control of that game at the beginning of the run to the playoffs and everything went downhill from there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    1- Sean Davis knocking into Joe Haden. Causing a missed interception opportunity
    against the Chargers.

2- Chris Boswell's falling missed field goal kick against the Raiders.

3- Xavier Grimble's fumble against the Broncos