1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I really thought Tomlin was improving

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by takenoprisoners1, Dec 10, 2018.

1. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    as far as clock management, etc, I remember those early days when we lost a home playoff game to Jacksonville because we unnecessarily went for 2 after a holding call on a try. I remember him running out onto the field to try and call a timeout with 2:01 left ON OFFENSE! Yes, basic math seemed an issue in those early days. Later on, with a timeout and 5 seconds left on a 3rd down from the 2, he opted to call a run which ultimately scored,but was in no position to call a timeout if it had failed.... Unnecessary spikes to stop the clock and timeouts just seemed par for the course.

But lately I’ve LIKED what I’ve seen on end of half possessions.Decent playcalling, good use of clock to end up scoring with under 20 seconds. Far fewer wasted downs on spikes, etc. Not that they haven’t lost their minds on end of game possessions (of course when the game was on the line), but just in GENERAL, the level of incompetence seemed to be diminishing. Yeah I know, high praise.

Though I couldn’t see the game live yesterday, after reviewing the highlights, I have to say.... the end of game management bordered on sociopathic.....the Raiders had one timeout. There was no REASON not to stop the clock. I get wanting to have timeouts on offense, but letting the clock run to 25 seconds.... so much for any game improvement. The only thing that would have made the timeout before 4th down even BETTER would have been if the Raiders played renegade before yet another defensive collapse which seemed to indicate we don’t know the play ends at the goal line.

Oh well. It’s hard to be surprised, yet they keep finding ways to suck fans back in when they look defeated, only to kick them you know where a final time. That’s why we root for them.... or something.....

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He is. He's improving on butchering his usage of TOs. Look on the bright side. We get to carry that unused TO over to next week. Wait....what? No....that's not how that works? Ugh!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Sociopathic....I love it. His excuse is beyond idiotic. There are multiple ways to stop the clock on offense. There are no ways to stop it on D without a TO. Unbelievable really.

4. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Does he ever say, "Yeah, I messed that one up"? That would actually be refreshing. Instead it's always a word salad. I've said for years, he has a great future in politics. He can talk for a half hour and not say a damn thing.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You forgot the green font.

6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Improving in what? Cliches? teams that are looking to make a run in the playoffs don't go into a losing streak at the end of the season. Lucky to win that jax game could have been a 4 gamer. Correct me if i'm wrong, doesn't this fail fa ll on the head coach? Yea I thought so. It's time for a change.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Xcursion88

Xcursion88 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2018
    Absolutely....
    If Ben Carson would have hired him as a speech coach...he might be #45

8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015