1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Sean Davis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by takenoprisoners1, Dec 3, 2018.

1. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Like many, I’ve calmed down a bit after last night’s debacle. Having went to the game last night, I didn’t see a lot of replays. The friendly fire incident between Davis and Haden was unfortunate to be sure. You’d like think when you have defensive players trying to make a play and make things happen, sometimes they just get in each other’s way. These are bang bang plays..... That being said....

Is the concept of making a play on a ball SO unfamiliar that instead of looking up to try to intercept it, Putting your head down to make a hit and not looking at what you’re doing is the order of the day? Especially when doing so will result in a penalty if you actually hit the intended player 100% of the time? Especially if you wear black and gold? Did anyone see something different? Was there something in the receiver’s movement that caused this? Was it just an unfortunate incident by guys trying to do something for once and it’s only the result that caused the criticism or was it a blindingly stupid play that throws fundamentals completely out the window????

Hmmmm.... perhaps I haven’t calmed down as much as I thought.....at least there will be more chances to calm down this week....until we play Oakland....

2. takenoprisoners1

takenoprisoners1 Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2011
    Sorry for the response to my own post, but on the treadmill this morning,I got to see the play from a couple angles. I think it’s safe to conclude one of two things.....

Davis plays with his eyes closed
    Davis thinks he plays for the Chargers.

That probably sounds cynical, but I can’t see anything else that explains it

3. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Been saying this for several games now. Waiting for Davis to show up in games. Where is he most of the time, been hearing he is having a good year, really, most of the time he is not even in picture on TV unless its in the end zone where he can't go far. I just don't think he is football smart. You did see the safety for the Chargers. Now thats a good safety.

4. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    My take on it is that Haden was clearly going for the INT, and Davis was going for a jarring hit - knowing he was in the end zone and that was the only chance he had of breaking up the play.

As you said, it's bang-bang, and any hesitation by a DB in those situations results in a catch. It just so happened Haden was already making a nice play on the ball. Unfortunate accident.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Davis definitely puts his head down on plays like that. It was reckless and stupid. He has gotten a little better this season, but that was an ugly mistake.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If Davis kept his head up and actually saw the play developing, there is no way he makes that mistake. It was sloppy, reckless and stupid, which is a common issue with this team.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Idiotic play as they were running a basic 2 man bracket coverage. Based on Haden undercutting and jumping the route you can submize Davis was supposed to be over the top. Instead he tried to make a play on a ball he shouldn't have and made a rookie mistake. Very undisciplined.

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    some teams are lucky, we have been really unlucky. Signs of a superbowl pretender lol

9. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Davis is pure garbage. Sorry to be blunt.

10. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    we have a good D line thats it, everyone else sucks, even haden lol

• Like Like x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Haden doesn't suck. He was torched once early on, but he made a great play on the ball in the end zone for what should have been a huge interception. It's not his fault Davis screwed it up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Mr.HammerZz

Mr.HammerZz Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Agreed our Secondary is worse than a high schools. Even Prime said our Secondary will get TORCHED every week if they continue to not play at an NFL level. They're a joke to say the least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Mr.HammerZz

Mar 13, 2018
    Not for nothing but Haden has been beat a few times these past three games... just saying. We need a ballhawking corner tandem and then we can make a run for the superbowl. Right now we lose to Brady/Mahomes/ Brees etc etc.

14. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    many plays i see our D line crushing in on the qb within 1-2 seconds yet theres someone always open. That's rushing 4 too lol.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    he doesn't suck but he is just average. Our team falls apart without him because our corners are so bad. Still, NO/KC/Rams still get it done, not us

16. Mr.HammerZz

Mar 13, 2018
    EXACTLY! Then the only pressure these QB's are under is "WHICH OPEN GUY DO I THROW TOO!?"

17. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Heck we lose to most sub-average qb's as history has shown.

• Like Like x 1
  18. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Haden is a legit #2 corner. Problem is... Steelers desperately need a #1 caliber CB and that ain't happening this year.

19. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Davis should have clearly seen that Haden had the inside position, there's no excuse for this play, he should have played the receiver. Davis wasn't covering any other WR, just a double on Allen.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This. People should be grateful he is on the team. They think the secondary is bad now??

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    remember early in the year when he was out? Yikes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. When you consider the impact it had and the sheer idiocy involved, it was probably the worst error in a night full of ugly ones.