1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Re-sign Lawrence Timmons Thread Post Draft

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, May 3, 2018.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The Steelers had a pretty good draft. I'm happy with everything. We all know; however, besides signing Bostic, which I believe was a good move also, we still have a deficit at inside linebacker.

Somehow, Timmons is still available. One year removed from team posting 80+ tackles with the Dolphins last year in a role not playing to his strengths, this guy is not done yet.

Timmons may have lost a step in coverage, although plays like this certainly suggest he can still make plays.

The guy was SOLID against the run. He's an extremely physical linebacker. He's exactly what you need helping take on blockers plugging up the MIDDLE RUNS, which we got exploited by the Jaguars running game.

Bring back LT for a 1 year contract. At this rate, looks like the Steelers could almost get him at the veteran minimum. He could play in situational running situations as well as give depth at inside linebacker.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    No.

I admired Timmons and his time here in the Steel City but his best years are behind him.

We need to entrust the next generation of Steelers players to that task. As the cliche goes;

"Its a young mans game."

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Like what young players? That's the point.

Nobody but Bostic was brought in. If he goes down it's wash and repeat from last years 250+ running defense performance.

You really think LT one year removed has lost all ability to be a good defensive player?

The Dolphins didn't even use him at his primary position of a decade. They played him at outside linebacker. Tell me Tomlin and Co. can't get some productivity out of this guy when they know his strengths.

32 is not that old. Jr. Seau played a lot longer at a high level.

4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    What young guys? Dirty Red and Fort realistically are not the answer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Who are you talking about exactly?

6. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't see it happening with the signing of Bostic, but if they could find a roster spot for him, I wouldn't mind keeping him around incase of an injury to the starters...

7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I didn't see it happening in the pre-draft era as those are the big-time contracts for the top free agents. The Steelers got Bostic at a pretty good price actually.

As it stands now, there are NO REPORTS of teams interested in Lawrence Timmons. Nothing at least I can find on the web. That doesn't mean that teams are not talking to him.

But it's clear he's not going to get the 5 Mil a year the Dolphins were going to give, or probably nothing even close to that number.

Is it possible the Steelers could pick him up for near the veteran minimum?

I have to believe the Steelers front office is looking into it. From my perspective, it'd be foolish not to.

This guy was a stud against the run up to his last season with the Burgh. I can distinctly remember one goal line stand where he made two punishing tackles to stop the runner. Missing the physicality on our defense and it's contagious.

Currently Lawrence Timmons remains without a job since March 12, 2018.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...lawrence-timmons-released-20180312-story.html

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Correct. They are not. My response of the "next generation" was based on the current structure of today's NFL; the direction that the defense is taking and one player specifically.

Timmons does not have the overall speed necessary to perform the tasks like he used to during his tenure here. Bringing him back would not yield any major contribution.

The "next generation", as I state it, refers to the increased usage of dime and nickel; Terrell Edmunds namely. Three safeties are the current, most effective way against sub packages.

Someone of Timmons limited athleticism would be unwise as it limits the overall capabilities of using the dime defense and nickel.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I could maybe see it happening if he’s on the couch mid-season and things go bad for the D; key injuries etc.

But right now he won’t accept vet minimum (given last years numbers) and wouldn’t get a huge number of reps when camp comes. So I don’t think it makes sense for either side to go down that route at this point in the year.

10. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I wouldn’t count Dirty Red out. Colbert has mentioned him specifically a couple of times this off season.

11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    If you re-read what I posted, there is no suggestion to utilize Timmons in nickel and dime packages. Actually I state the opposite to utilize him in obvious running situations in the 3-4 as the Buck LB or goal line.

And he's not as big of a liability as many seem to point out in zone passing schemes. It's just no longer a strength of his.

If you view the Jaguars game, they lit us up with running formations not in the spread offense. The Steelers need someone physical in those situations to plug up the gap, take on the full back, etc.. something Timmons did in the burgh quite well and have no reason to believe he wouldn't do so again.

Bostic helps, but we have no idea how good he'll be in the Mack and we have no depth behind Williams (who was an above average ILB). Bostic also has to prove he has the durability.

Bottom line is Timmons is on the market post draft which could come at a pretty low rate.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think he will be on speed dial.

13. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    You'd think if he was a hot commodity post draft he'd have a team by now. For whatever reason, people must think he's washed up.

The Steelers have a track record of bringing old linebackers back with success (James Harrison, Larry Foote, etc.) Both came back and were productive.

I see no reason why Timmons would also not do the same.

We released Timmons because his contract was up and his age not because he played poorly. And for the gallery, 32 years old is not that old. It was just a bit high to pay someone 5 mil a year. There are plenty of linebackers being productive into their mid 30s.

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think most teams would be tentative on bringing him in because of what happened in Miami and the fact it seems he wouldn't be happy to play anywhere but here....I'm quite certain that has a lot to do with it,plus there no urgency right now for us or anyone to take that chance at this current time...

15. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    good point. his whole "AWOL" situation where he actually is reported flying back to Pittsburgh to presumably deal with family issues might have people scared. Which in my opinion is great.

Which is partly why I have the bring Timmons home thread. There loss is our gain. He had a stellar attendance record for an entire decade with us.

16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah he did play his guts out for us................literally,if you remember the vomit games.....eeeesh!

17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

Players like this don't just disappear and suddenly start stinking to where they don't have a job. Bring back LT! :)

18. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    regarding him vomiting on the field a couple times

Loved it. Brother never stopped. Was an animal on the inside. A lot of people wouldn't have been tough enough to play though that.

19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    cement shoes.png

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

Another highlight reel to remind people that players like this just don't disappear overnight.

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017

For people that need an update on his year last year.

22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    He might be slower, but he's not so slow the guy can't play anymore. Line him up at the Buck position and let him hammer on some people.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    would love to see Timmons in camp this year. Would be the 3rd or 4th best linebacker we have.

24. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think there were many threads about this already but here is one if anyone wants to see some opinions.

http://thesteelersfans.com/forums/threads/timmons-back-next-year.18726/#post-540706

Now that was before the draft my opinion after the draft is still....HELL NO!!!!!!! If anyone watched our loss to the Cheats a couple years ago in the play offs it was pretty obvious that LT was a weak link. The guy is a tackling machine but he couldn't cover anyone and has lost not one but two steps. Now the big talk is what do we do if something happens to Bostic, well I have the answer. We drafted these guys Edmunds and Allen so we can play more dime which means more safety's and less LB's. This is the direction the Steelers D is going so bringing LT back makes no sense as he is to slow.

25. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I said this back in March when they were going to release him down here in Miami. Could be a 1 year stop gap. Then, maybe pick someone up during pre season cuts.