1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Expectations for next season

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by FootballAnalyst98, Mar 14, 2018.

1. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    What are your realistic expectations? I'm unsure right now with the way our defense will look but I feel like we can on a good day beat anyone. I feel like NE will fall off so we won' have to worry about that. Your thouhhts?

2. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Super Bowl

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Playoff loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    10-6 is the ceiling for this team, IMO. Offense will be above average, maybe top 5... but not the best. It's gonna take 2 or more seasons to get the Defense up to playoff caliber. Losing Shazier set this team back, big time. There's too many up and coming teams in the AFC now. The Steelers had their window ('14-'17) and blew it with poor coaching, piss poor execution and bad luck (Shazier). Raiders, Broncos, Texans, Jaguars... all have a higher ceiling and potential than the Steelers in '18.

New England Patriots will NOT fall off into mediocrity. People say this every year and Tom Brady does what he and Belichick always do... make non-Patriots fans and opposing defenses look stupid. Brady will compete for yet another NFL MVP and Super Bowl berth. This madness will not end until Brady retires.

I expect the Steelers to land somewhere around 9-7, 8-8... not enough to make the playoffs.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I'm with you. I think we are too late and missed our window and now teams have caught up. As a whole I would say there' a good 3 teams with better overall personell than we have.. And even the titans are creeping up there with the moved their making... i just believe Brady will hit the wall this yr and I believe their is tension between him and bill that will just further escalate. I think by the end of next yr we won't even be looked at as a top 5 team.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    9-7 or 8-8 Second in our division. Maybe squeeze out a wild card spot.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  7. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Yep... I forgot about the Titans. Titans are a few players from being a very good team. If they get a true #1 WR for Mariota... look out. They're already solid up front on O-line and D-line. Disagree about the Patriots. I don't see Jets/Dolphins/Bills improving enough to offer much resistance. Until one of those teams steps up and sweeps the Patriots in the regular season... it's business as usual for Brady and company.

8. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    I think ne will of course still win that division but I don' think they are going to the sb or dominating like they usually do I see them at 11-5 or 10-6

9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Too early to tell. Still have FA, the draft, the Bell situation ect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I see no reason why the Steelers wont win the division again. 11 wins. Ravens and Bengals havent given me any reason to believe they will overtake us.

NE is still the team to beat. As long as TB continues to play at a high level and BB is there, that wont change. Jags will be tough of course but Im hopeful that they do not upgrade at QB. I know, look what Bortles did to us but hes not a good QB, hes just not. Put an elite QB on that team and theyd be unstoppable.

Texans may be the toughest team next season. The defense will be healed up and Watson was destroying teams before he went down.

Nobody else in the AFC scares me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    The draft understandable but free agency really. We can't afford anyone significant

12. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    True but other teams can improve dramatically via FA. Could change how I feel about Ravens and Cincy.

13. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I also believe the window has closed on this current team. Just not enough time to get the defense where it needs to be to get another Lombardi before Ben retires. I think the offense is good enough to get the team in the playoffs but don't expect much beyond that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Disagree about 11 wins and Bortles. Bortles has already proved he can beat the Steelers soundly. Not once, but twice in the same year... and in the Steelers home stadium. The Jaguars put up a much better fight in the AFC Championship vs. Patriots than the Steelers did the year before.

I agree about the Texans. Houston will be scary good and easily threaten New England for the AFC Crown if Watt, Clowney, Watson and Hopkins stay healthy.

16. TheMatrixHasYou

TheMatrixHasYou Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2018
    We were 13-3 last season. We still have Ben, Brown, Bell, and can't forget Boswell. Our defense was very good but not as great without Shazier. We're going to get an ILB in this draft and Shazier is going to come back and play in 2019.

We had the #1 offense and the #4 defense last season. We earned a bye, then beat Tennessee, and we almost beat Jacksonville in the playoffs.

We're going to be very competitive the next three years with Ben AND we're going to draft a good QB just as Ben retires so we're going to remain competitive. We're not like other teams. We're the Pittsburgh Steelers.

It. Takes. Just. A. Little. Faith.

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Wouldnt you rather face Jax with Bortles than a top flight QB? It was more our poor play than great play by him that beat us.

I dont know how you can disagree with that. With Borltes you have a chance to beat them. Hes not a good QB, we're a sucky secondary.

Definitely with you on Texans.

18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Bortles played a better game vs. Patriots in AFC championship than Ben did the year before. Jaguars were up by 10 until the 4th quarter, IIRC. I'm not saying Bortles is better than Ben, but Bortles and the Jaguars offense was much more competitive vs. Patriots in the playoffs.

Sh!tty Steelers secondary aside... Steelers have to be more consistent on OFFENSE if they ever want to return to the Super Bowl in Ben's final years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    It will be a shocking surprise if Shazier plays again let alone in 2019.

20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

You lost me right there. Stats and faith be damned. The '17 Steelers defense was the worst Steelers defense I've seen since the mid to late 80's.

Even the '03 and '99 Steelers defenses were better by leaps and bounds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    Maybe Shazier won't play again but he is talking like he is going to come back. Either way we will get a good ILB this draft and we will draft a safety too so we'll be better.

I understand having very high goals but too many of you have absolutely impossible expectations.

22. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree with you there. Anybody who thinks the Steelers will win 12 or more games is on some serious Meth, LSD... or Crack cocaine.

23. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018

Our defense gave up too many big plays last season but we're always drafting from 15-32 and years ago we had to fix the O-line, which we did, and then we had to get some pass rushers but TJ Watt is going to be a good one.

Now our CB's seem to be better than they've been in a very long time.

We just need a few pieces, an ILB and a safety in this draft, and we're set.

The sky is not falling.

24. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Easier said, than done. A rookie ILB or rookie Safety is not realistically going to make much of a difference or contribution until 2nd year. Steelers have franchised Bell, so they can't do much in Free Agency. In other words, the defense will not improve much, if at all, from last year. This is going to take at least 2 years to fix, IMO.

25. TheMatrixHasYou

Mar 6, 2018
    So we went 13-3 last season but somehow this next season we won't win 12 games even though the only player we've lost is a backup OT, an old CB who didn't start for us anymore, and a safety that everyone agrees was not very good?