1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Does AB get punt return duties back?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blountforcetrauma, Dec 6, 2015.

1. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I can say that I don't know but I would be in favor of it. I know some don't like him being back there and I understand that but man he gives us a great shot to score more every time he touches the ball.

2. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes and Jones should not even be allowed to field a punt in practice much less in a game...

3. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Brown was doing this in his rookie season

4. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Brown is one of the best players in the NFL with the ball in his hands.

I say let him still return the punts. He is our best option. His down fall is that he never fair catches it when he should, because he thinks he is going to take every punt to the house.

5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    No. Don't want him back there. He's the top guy and it's a free shot for a fringe player. He needs to be talking with Ben and the other guys before the Offense comes on the field after a punt. Not running it back and heading to the huddle.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LongIslandSteel

LongIslandSteel Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Brown should be back there for the rest of the season. As one of the top playmakers in the league, he can do a better job certainly than anyone we can bring in (see Jones, Jacoby). I understand the injury risk but Antonio is a football player. You can't not put your best guy out there for fear of him getting hurt.

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Let him do it for the remaining games this year and make the change next year. Also have Wheaton return kickoffs for the remaining games. Jacoby Jones has issues, stick a fork in him.

8. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I've been in the 'it makes me nervous' camp in the past, but I've come to accept it. After last night, I'll be flat out angry if he's not returning them for the rest of the season. :lollmao:

9. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I'm of the school of thought that you don't *not* play players just because you're afraid they'll get injured. Yeah, it's a risk. But throughout the history of the game, there have been some pretty high profile players doing return duties - and they have paid dividends. And for the life of me I can't recall too many (any?) of them getting injured because of it.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He never should have been taking off of them. I think MT has been reading this board and the worry warts got to him :lolol:

Seriously, I can't even remember the last time I saw a punt returner get hurt, if ever. It should be AB's job until somebody else can do it better.

11. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I understand the "protect your starters" concept, but no way in hell Jones should be fielding anything ever again. What AB did on that punt return last night..... I'd need to watch again, but I'm gonna say that was an amazing team blocking effort.... AB pretty much ran straight up the left hash.... (still very impressive)

12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Another player Tomlin signed that obviously had nothing left in the tank, thats two players counting vick this moron added to the roster that clearly didn't add anything to this teams upside, and finally he put Boykin in the lineup and he had a solid game, it seems MT goes out of his way to hurt this team more than he helps it....

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Not defending Jones at all - he stinks right now. But I don't think it's a talent/skill issue - I still say something's wrong with his head; he plays scared.

14. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I don;t want to see him back there, risking injury but I sure don't want to see Jones back there at all. In fact, why didn't they cut Jones after the game?? What about using Sammy Coates since he's not seeing much if any action at WR?

15. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I`m torn between greed and fear about AB returning kicks. If he get`s hurt doing that, dreams of winning a Super Bowl this year are over. If he does not get hurt, we might win a game that we might of otherwise lost which could turn out to be the difference if we make the playoffs.

I don`t know. Maybe we could look at it this way. It`s crunch time and it`s time to start playing like champions, like we did last night, if we are going to get to and make noise in the playoffs. If we play like that we can beat Cincy on the road and Denver at home and win the rest of our games. The Jets are not much better than average and will lose one or more games and we get in if we win out IMO.

So the bottom line is if we play at a high level we should not need AB to return kicks during the rest of the regular season. If we do not play at a high level the rest of the way and somehow make the playoffs anyway, what does it matter to be a token wildcard not playing at a high level?

If we get to the S.B., then I would be willing to risk it for that game of course.

16. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    We just need someone that doesn't screw up. I think AB offers the best chance of not screwing things up, with the added bonus of being a good punt returner. Let's keep him fielding punts.

17. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm all for it. He has more chance of getting hurt by trying to hump the goal post.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I really hope they find someone else that can at least take some of the load. although he makes plays AB hasn,t been perfect back there. I d prefer that he not have to do it all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  20. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Of course he should be. He helps us win games. I get it, people don't want Brown getting hurt because it will hurt our chances of making it to the playoffs, but Brown not returning punts also hurts our chances of making it to the playoffs. We have some tough games coming up, so we need to field our best team. That includes Brown on special teams.

21. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    For those that don't want AB back there; who do you suggest?

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Randle El.

(God, I hope Tomlin didn't see that...)

23. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    OH come on
    we scored a lot of points against a crappy team and we actually scored a td on special teams at home

SO WHAT!!!

No AB should not be back there being he is the best on the team, in the conference, or all of the league
    show me one other top player on any other team who fields punts

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As I stated above Todman he is the perfect answer..He has like a 26 yard career average and zero fumbles ..He returned for right at a 1000 yards last year, I have no ideal why they don't let him return kicks ???

25. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I was referring to punts, as that's what AB does. We have Toddman and Wheaton for kick returns, but I'm not sure we have a good option on punts.