1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Steelers Sign Michael Vick

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TerribleTowelFlying, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Steeltradition83

Steeltradition83 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Very good discussion going on here. At the end of the day the Steelers don't really care what we think. The NFL is a business and it is only about winning & money. As many have already stated, come game day 99% of the people claiming they are done will tune in and root the Steelers on. The "Steeler way" only applies when it doesn't effect the win column or the bottom line. Vick is a piece of s***, we all know that. The NFL is filled with them from the front office right down to the players.

• Like Like x 2
  2. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Come on people stop saying what he did was worse then killing someone. DOGS ARE ANIMALS! In no way shape or form is an ANIMALS life ever more valuable then a humans. Have all of you seen the videos of what goes on in these mass butcher lines in the meats you all eat? Are you going to stop eating meat because the cows are literally lined up and killed. What about chickens kept in Pens where they can't move only to be killed? Those poor farm raised tilipia there is barely enough water for all of them. Are you going to stop eating meat? No you are going to go on about your day and not even think about it. Why because those aren't pets and aren't cute so you don't care. Well guess what that is how Vick and many others look at dogs. They aren't pets they are just another animal.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    You've said this a few time now, and I keep seeing the same flaw in your logic. This is probably why you're getting a bit frustrated here.

You say a human life is worth more than an animals - that can be true, with it still being wrong to purposefully harm an animal for viewing pleasure.

You say animals are killed for food in pretty harsh decisions - that can be true, but animal preparation is governed by laws. As is the treatment of domestic animals. The laws and institutions involved are different. There's a reason for that.

So basically, nothing in either of those points will really change anything, as they can both be accepted as true, and people can still be perfectly justified in being upset about what Vick did.

5. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Yes but my main point is im so tired of hearing people say what he did was worse then killing someone. Sorry but that's absolutely ridiculous. Also do you know how many of the places blatantly ignore the handling process and laws of mass butchering. Most do because our government doesn't care and doesn't check up on them. How many behind the scenes videos are there out there of people throwing chickens off a wall or abusing cows before they are killed. That is no different then what Vick did. Are they both against the law? Yes they sure are but does that stop anyone? No it doesn't.

6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Equal IMO, but not in the laws.
    difference is at least we eat the meat. It's wrong but most of it doesn't go to waste. Killing an animal for the sake of entertainment, is wrong. IMO of course.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    And some of you need to get over the fact that this upsets some of us. We can't judge the dog killer but you guys can judge those of us that are upset by this? This is a highly polarizing topic, people are venting, why do you care?

Some of us are highly vested in dogs, myself, Jeh and Fanforlife rescue them, others like TTF and Ray consider them part of the family, and we're just supposed to over look those feeling and welcome Vick with open arms because why? You say so?

2 years is measly for what he did, you dont agree, fine but its a joke for what he did. He never even stepped foot in general population, it was probably the cushiest 2 years anyone ever did.

I honestly don't think some of you truly know what goes into running a dog ring and just picture 2 dogs fighting in your head. You don't think about the fact that those fights can last 2 hours or the torture of the dogs that don't perform, or the dogs that are stolen right off of peoples property and other unscrupulous methods to be used as bait dogs. If a bait dog is lucky, he'll die his first time but often survive many training sessions with wounds that go untreated until finally the dog dies.

http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-in-entertainment/cruel-sports/dogfighting/
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/03/02/dog-fighting-rings-bc_n_6781368.html

I gave up meat 5 years ago, am I qualified to be disgusted by Vick now? And why do people always try to justify one wrong by trying to exploit another one (the food processing industry, not people who eat meat).

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I think it's safe to say that no you don't.

9. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    People are just animals too. Some lesser than others.

10. contract

Jan 11, 2014
    If you can't understand why torturing and killing for fun is worse, then no one can help you. If you can't understand why enjoying making someone or something suffer makes you a monster, then step back from the mirror and have another look.

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Very true.

I'm just pretty surprised that one of the greatest ****bags in NFL history can still find employment with such a high a mount of associated baggage combined with deteriorating skills. I thought that the NFL was finally done with Mike Vick after the Rex Ryan/Jets experiment. Then along come our beloved Steelers, of all teams, and pick him up off the trash heap.:facepalm:

12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I was ticked about it at first. But, if I'm going to let the signing of Mike Vick ruin my love of the Steelers something is wrong.
    Hopefully, he doesn't have to come in and play. But, if Ben goes down and can't play, I think Vick would give us a better chance to win
    a game or two, than Landry Jones would.

13. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I'd rather have a 50 year old Brett Favre come out of retirement than have Vick. Terrible decision for the organization.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Well I guess there have be nations of sick people because animal fighting has been going on forever. Sorry under no circumstance is animal more important then a human. People only care about the cute animals that are pets other then that they don't give two ****s. Look people still go to circuses and sea world which is just as bad and those animals are tortured for entertainment purposes. Have you never been to sea world or a circus? If you have then you are sick because you got enjoyment from an animal being tortured. Like I said earlier lets get in an outrage over a dead lion in Zimbabwe but ignore that a woman gets raped on average every 90 minutes there. Now which is worse one dead lion or women having to be tormented the rest of their lives by being raped?

Attached Files:

15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Somewhat OT- did you guys know that I get emails through the site from random fans? I'm not sure if I've shared this before, but I randomly get emails from fans with messages for the Steelers. I mean, I get other "normal" emails too, but a percentage of them is from fans who seem to think I'm the Steelers. I once got a video message from a fan telling me how much they love the Steelers and I have to say, it was pretty awesome. Usually their less entertaining than that, like- "Hey Steelers, why do we suck now?" or "You should sign [super expensive free agent]".

Anyway, over the past 24 hours there's been a huge spike in emails from fans that seem to think they're talking to the Steelers. Some just voicing their displeasure over the Vick signing. Many saying they're putting all of their Steelers gear in the closet until Vick is gone, or suspending any purchases until he's off the team.

How much of an impact do you think it will have on the Steelers Shop?

16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    So who else was out there instead of Vick?

I kind of wanted us to pick up Kyle Orton, is he officially retired?

17. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am also the proud owner of 1 year old Lab/Shepherd rescue dog. I am trying really hard to separate that from what Vick did. I am trying to convince myself that he is a backup and probably wont see game time (during the regular season) because then I can justify still being a Steelers fan. I am going to the game in Buffalo on Saturday and fully expect to see him on the field. I have no idea how I am going to react to that. I just don't know how to feel about this....

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Can we try, just try, to reign in the moral off-topic debate stuff in the Michael Vick threads? We all know that sort of discussion is typically not appropriate for this board. I get that some of it is unavoidable due to his history, but let's please try to not weave other off topic hot topic issues into the Mike Vick discussions.

19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, Orton is retired.

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I think it will definitely cause sales to slip a bit.
    I'm going to keep a close eye on Stub hub and the Ticket Exchange to see if there's a spike in tickets being sold.

21. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I would guess there will be some people that boycott apparel but overall nothing that will be significant. I would guess that a large number of complainants are not even steelers fans, just whiners looking for attention.

That said, if you leave Vick's past behind him, he still has nothing to offer us on the field. A 35 year old with a 50 something % lifetime completion rate? Come on, seriously.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012

I believe Vick was the target for sometime even prior to Grad's injury. IMO there was not much of a thought process put forth in this one. Agree, there are other doable bodies available.

23. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    I have two dogs that are absolutely part of my family and don't agree with what Vick did but he served his time and has tried pretty hard to make up for his mistakes.

24. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    It's moves like this that really shed light on why our depth sucks:
    We keep Landry Jones hanging around for 3 years while losing promising guys at positions of need to other teams due to him taking up a roster spot. Then when an opportunity presents itself for him to move up the depth chart and get some more quality reps in practice, we bail on him and go sign some washed up veteran QB with massive baggage. WTF? Go with the guy you've invested in with experience in the system, not some chaos-inducing new guy who has never played in a timing, location-based passing offense.

Mike Vick offers no upside over Landry Jones unless we are planning on totally changing up our offense to suit Vick by throwing bombs all day to Bryant and Coates.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    maybe this is just for vick, to play behind landry jones for two preseason games, against guys that will not make most teams. thus keeping landry healthy for the season as the number 2.

vick isn't very good as a player or person and hopefully we drop him and pickup a cut down the road for our backup vet. at his age, i can't see any other value in him as a backup for the future. i hope it's only for a preseason game or two.

we can blame tomlin for this but colbert and rooney have the final say on players. i've lost a lot of respect for art and colbert and MT over this one. this doesn't improve the team for now or the future. just a very knee jerk reaction. not a very well thought out one either. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1