1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

2024 Pittsburgh Pirates

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by steel machine, Feb 28, 2024.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Dream another dream this one is over. Houston gonna put us under .500 to stay and I'm going to win family bet.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Bae just put up one of the worst at bats in major league history

3. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    They'll be under 500 today

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    But he was tearing it up in the minors..............:rolleyes:. The dog days have arrived in a hurry. Fun for a few weeks but biz as usual now.

5. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    Yes. Absolutely no offense

6. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    I'm telling you that was am ugly thing to watch

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Maybe they are saving the bats for Skenes tomorrow;) Gonna be a bad last 60. The injuries absolutely hurt.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Kind of fun for a 102 games. It's these last 60 that business as usual will rear its ugly head:(

9. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Suwinski has been sent to Indy. I can’t imagine why it took this long. It was getting to the point that they could have sent a popcorn vendor up to pinch hit for him and done about as well. He must have incriminating pictures of someone in the Pirates front office.
    I assume they will give Bae a shot, unless a trade for an outfielder is in the works. Which it should be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    By the way the Bucs won yesterday and I was shocked to find out cause I gave up in the 8th.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Quadrupleyoi

Dec 23, 2017
    I didn’t look until this morning. Still in it, though the injuries are troublesome. But at least it’s mostly injuries and not general sucky players. And I doubt they jettison salaries this year. Well, maybe Chapman will be enticing to a contender, and could free up a roster spot and some spinach.
    If they do get a bat for the outfield (and the available sticks diminish daily as trades happen), Bae could go to second base. Triolo could not hit the ocean if he fell off a cruise ship.
    I checked Bae’s 2B defensive statistics, he is actually quite good, with a range factor significantly above the average. We shall see if he hits, that is all you can do, make logical moves and see if they work out.
    In looking over the position players at AAA, the Pirates unfortunately have a surfeit of corner guys. But they also have good arms to trade.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Quadrupleyoi

Dec 23, 2017
    Pirates traded Quinn Priester to the Red Sox for some AAA inf-of with a decent bat.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    They sent him to Indy. IMO he should be playing with Nick G. out.

Nick Yorke. .277 with 48 HR's in his 4 minor league seasons with Sox.

I like it, now watch Priester win the Cy Young.;+)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2024
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I was ready to wipe off season when DB's look like the brooms were coming but somehow we are 1 over .500. Odd ass game yesterday.

Skenes vs Jake Bloss 0-1 with a 6.94 era. Could the Astros be writing this one off? I hope the Bucs keep me in it. Them Steelers are knocking on the door.

Fell good about game 2 with TBD starting. Guy is amazing but the stupid Bucs keep replacing him at game time. Final game has Martin Perez who IMO pitches better then his stats would show.

Bucs leave Houston, fly back to Burgh for 3 against Padres and then fly back to west coast to La La Land. Big games for Mojave. As I was thrilled to take 4 of 7 from Phillies, he'd love the same or better. Bucs are 2-1 so far against LA.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  15. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Damn Astros traded Bloss before game.

16. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    He's a career 207 hitter at this point. He did something like 45 home runs first two years so there's a stat that might excuse a lower batting average though 207 is really piss poor. Let's hope he can find something that can help him get back on track.

17. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Shocked I am. Two games in a row I was 100% sure we were losing and we pulled it out. That said I'm 100% sure we lose tonight;)

May have to bring back Su-suck-ski. Injury bug hurting the Bucs.

18. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    Falter is the TBD for tonight's game.

19. Quadrupleyoi

Dec 23, 2017
    Easy, Steel! Don’t let all the losing over the past years rob you of the capacity to enjoy a win now!
    Falter is just a guy, and I wish the Pirates would trade him and bring up Ashcraft. Ashcraft is dominant at AAA, so I think he should get a shot in the rotation over Tibbid, who is called on to pitch far too often and may end up with a sore arm.
    Granted, Ashcraft hasn’t been at Indy long but maybe one more start….
    Suwinski is not old, so there is probably not a physical reason for his decline into suckitude. If he can figure it out at AAA, maybe he comes back. If not, you gotta move on.

20. Quadrupleyoi

Dec 23, 2017
    Pirates traded a AA lefty to the Rockies for a veteran lefty. I guess he put up medium numbers in the pitcher’s purgatory known as Coors Field.
    Not the big move we’d like to see…,,

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Just like the Bucs start a game with a short reliever and then switch to a long reliever, perhaps the Bucs should forfeit the first 7 innings of each game and start in the 7th or 8th. Why not? That's what they've been doing lately with some success. :shrug:

22. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    BTW - tied for 2nd in the NLC. Alphabetically, they are ahead of St Louis with a 6 times better run differential. After Houston, 6 games against teams just above us in Wild Card standings. :thumbs up:

• Like Like x 1
  23. steel machine

Sep 21, 2017
    I thought the Astros were going to no-hit us last night. Grandel and Taylor who'd have thunk. I think Taylor has a WS ring. He is older but I hope he can rekindle some of that power.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Just watched the highlights - that Taylor HR was a friggin bomb. Congrats young/old man. Vs the dinker that Arenado hit the day before that could have/should have been caught as it bounced off the top of the left field wall, fan interference or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Quadrupleyoi

Dec 23, 2017
    Bucs just got some other left handed reliever I never heard of, who had been DFAed by the Mets. Not an earth shattering deal, but interesting implications. Will Chapman be moving very soon, and they are stockpiling lefty relievers to take his place? Could free up some spinach to make yet another deal in the closing hours. Hmmmm…….