1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Najees Market Set

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Jun 20, 2024.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

No way he will take less than 9 million. Will the Steelers pay it?

2. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011

The top 7 RB contracts.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is another good example of why passing on the fifth-year option was a poor decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    *** SHOCKING!! ***

The top five RBs in football make the most?!?!?

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    On the real though...

If the presumed *big swing* for a WR doesn't happen, this is likely the next domino to fall. After that, Freiermuth could be next. He is due for an extension and it is best to get it out of the way now before later.

... unless the team is opting to go for TE in the early rounds of 2025.

6. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Maybe or maybe Khan is just paying lip service and they have no intention of signing him to an extension. He’ll play out his contract and move on.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    look for a new RB in the draft and DL and hopefully OUR new QB,s wont suck then we can look to WR and other needs

8. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    Why would they pay him 9 million when they could've had him for 6 or 7 on the 5th year option.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    N
    O
    P
    E

10. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Rumor has it the answer for this riddle is located somewhere in the pages of the Voynich Manuscript.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    He's barely worth half that. We can find similar production at a fraction of that cost. I hope we don't even entertain that number.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  12. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    True, they already deemed him worth less than 6.8mil.... they wont be paying 9

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think they intend to sign Harris, at least not to the sort of deal he is certain to want. My point is that the $7 million was a bargain when you see what Stevenson just got.

Instead, the Steelers are going to have yet another hole to fill in an offseason where they are already facing having to find a new quarterback. The cost certainty of a solid back would have been a very good thing to have at that point, but Khan let the possibly-fruitless pursuit of the perfect get in the way of the good.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2024
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What will Warren want?:cool:

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Houston is paying a just about washed up Mixon over 9 million, they should've picked up Najee's 5th year option to avoid having to use a draft pick in 2025 on an RB.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He should want to protect the ball better, especially in poor conditions.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Are you suggesting he doesn't?

18. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    I would guess they think a long term deal is a possibility otherwise they would have picked up the option. If he has a great season this year, which I think he will, he probably will command 9-10 million a year. I'm not so sure what a 1 year extension by picking up the option really does for the team long term when they have Warren. I would rather see them lock him in at a favorable longer term deal, if that is at all possible. My guess is that he and Warren will split time 50/50 and they will evaluate things as the year goes on. Though the Steelers don't negotiate in season, the RB market has been pretty rough on free agent backs other than Jacobs and Henry.

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Khan has proven to be very shrewd. I don’t believe that declining Najee’s 5th year option was done due to miscalculation of Najee’s value by Khan. There’s something else going on that trumped the financial no-brainer of picking up the option. We can speculate endlessly on what that is, but we’ll probably just need to see how (and when) things play out. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Najee sign a 4 year, $42 million extension today, and I also wouldn’t be surprised to see him on another team next year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The bar has been set for his next team I guess. They declined a 7 mill option. So now they are going to give him more in a contract? I don't think so.

• Like Like x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm guessing they have a plan. or maybe they want to wait and see. one thing for sure is we have 3 good RB's for this year any of which can probably carry the load if called upon. there are a lot of situations that they will have to deal with by next year and maybe they don't want to be locked into one thing and leave the options open for the next. it might be that simple. :cool:

23. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I wouldn't pay Mixon 9 million either, however less than half of that contract is guaranteed. 13 million over 3 years (4.33 million per year) is probably a fair price in terms of guaranteed money for Mixon. Conversely someone like Saquon Barkley is looking at 26 million of his 3 year 37 million dollar contract guaranteed. That's 8.66 million per year. Vastly different numbers there.

Harris' option would have him be the 12th most highly paid RB in terms of AAV and top 5 in guaranteed money per year for guys off their rookie deals. There are only 6 backs getting more than 4.5 million per year guaranteed... The production doesn't match to justify that type of number. Mixon and Harris are pretty similar in production, so I would assume that a fair contract based of market value for Najee at 3 years would include about 4.3 million per year guaranteed. I would be fine offering Najee a contract that looked like that. I doubt he takes that low, but that's his choice not mine. There's also the chance that nobody is willing to pay more than that.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I wrote it that way as a play on words. I'm sure he does want to do a better job of that, but it is an area of weakness for Warren. Warren is great when he can share the load, but if you want one lead back taking over, Harris is a much better option and that is just one reason why that is the case.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's why they would have been better off with the one-year option, then letting Harris walk. It's just a one-year commitment in a season during which they will have a lot of cap room.

• Agree Agree x 2