1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

FIELDS A STEELER

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 16, 2024.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I`m thinking Fields is just a one-year rental. If Wilson has a good year, maybe we keep him for a couple years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I knew that among the few areas in which we agree is that neither of us wanted Fields. Thinks of it this way. They needed a viable backup. At the very least, Fields gives them one.

3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That, or maybe the Bears saw the market for him getting even smaller after the Eagles traded for Pickett. Just because this offer got it done today doesn't mean the Bears would have taken the same deal from the Eagles.

4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Not happy with Fields as backup to Wilson. Tarheels lose to Wolfpack in ACC championship. What a sh!tty day. :facepalm:

5. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    I believe the Packers declined Jordan Love's 5th year and signed him to a 1 year extension instead. His 5th year was $20mill guaranteed but they agreed on a 1 year $22.5mill contract with $13.5mill guaranteed.

I'd expect the Steelers would try to do something similar.

6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Plunkett was nearly 50 years ago. It's a different game now.

Fields would have to get a lot better to do well. Brady didn't get better after leaving New England. Also, he was 43.

Warner was 32 and had a couple of seasons ruined by injury. Marc Bulger had played well in his place. Also, he wasn't better with the Cardinals than he had been for the Rams.

7. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    First of all, Wilson had 447 attempts and Fields had 370. That is 817 Attempts.
    Wilson had 26 tD’s and Fields had 16. That is 42 touchdowns in 817 attempts.

Wilson threw 1 TD for every 19th attempt
    Fields threw 1 TD for every 23rd attempt.

KP 324 attempts 6 touchdowns
    MT 107 attempts 4 touchdowns
    MR 74 attempts 3 touchdowns
    Total 505 Attempts 13 touchdowns

KP threw 1 TD for every 54th attempt
    MT threw 1 TD for every 27th attempt
    MR threw 1 TD for every 25th attempt

Steelers were getting 1 Touchdown pass every 39 attempts.

Not sure where you are getting your numbers from last season..LET THAT SINK IN.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. martingale

martingale Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2023
    Don’t forget about trading Kevin Dotson and Kendrick Green. Both left the Steelers and played well (Green got hurt). Isaac Seumealo has looked good but not addressing center or LT in FA is a big issue. Neither Wilson nor Fields are known for make quick decisions in the pocket. If you thought Kenny was a sack master, talk to Seattle fans about Wilson’s penchant for taking sacks or Bear’s fans with Fields.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think that is exactly what he is doing. That, or they think Daniels or Herbig can do it. Keep in mind that Herbig always struggled with shotgun snaps when he played center in the past.

10. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    Khan is a huge breath of fresh air in a stagnant, musty front office.

I was over Colbert the last few years. A few gems in mid rounds but too many busts in first two rounds.

Steelers would only resign their own crappy veterans, never trying to improve, just maintain.

The only bone I will throw Colbert is he did have to deal with a monstrous Big Ben cap hit most of the past 10 years. That does make life much more difficult for a GM, but they could have cut mediocre vets and signed ONE upgrade every off-season.

11. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Just curious, what time you cursed God about Fields and what time the 2nd half of the Tarheels game started? Most of the time, God doesn't care about sports, but he does care about people. It's probably just a coincidence that they lost.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  12. TWISTER

Oct 23, 2011
    But still yet Russell has been to the Pro Bowl 9 times.

Are you forgetting how many times Ben was sacked?

All I am saying is our QB room is way better going into this season than what we have had.

You act as if we have a ton of money wrapped up into the QB room.

we are without the other positions no matter what the QB room is. I’m trying to figure out your point?

signing these players isn’t the reason we aren’t signing other free agents.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes it has sunk in. I was wrong with those numbers of TDs. My apologies. Still not a fan of the fields move. Russell I don't have a problem with. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Onl

Fixed your quote.[/QUOTE]
    I was waiting for Cowher to be successful…then came Big Ben.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t think it would take much to sign Fields given the lack of interest in him this offseason.

Unless Wilson turns back the clock this season I would have to imagine they prefer Fields due to his age.

16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I'm an atheist. Just wanted to curse.

Jehovah = Zeus

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  17. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    If both of these QB's stink it up it didn't cost us much if we believe KP was never gonna improve. Then we go into 2025 drafting a QB from what appears to be a better draft class and probably have to sign another veteran. If RW does ok, we can still draft a new QB and then try to negotiate an affordable deal for RW knowing he will be 36. If Fields sees some time and plays like **** to then we decline the 5th and we had him for one year and we are back where we started. We didn't mortgage the future which was the most important thing. So if it epically fails did it hurt us that bad? I actually think the more difficult thing will be if we marginally improve with RW, what do you do? He's not signing up for another year at $1m and if fields doesn't play we have to pay something for an unknown. This will be the most interesting year in a long time.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    fun fact: Fields is 1 year younger than Pickett but also has 1 more year of NFL experience.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. TWISTER

Oct 23, 2011
    Trust me at first I didn’t want Wilson or Fields. But I also didn’t want any of the 3 we had. There is just something about Pickett that rubs me the wrong way, he just reminds me of a kid that feels entitled. And sad thing is I bought his jersey last season.

After researching Wilson and hearing everyone saying Seattle wanted him gone because he was done. But if you go look at his stats the last 3 years in Seattle he was still putting up the numbers. I think Seattle was stupid for letting him go. I gave him a pass on the whole Denver experiment, first year he had a horrible Coach and second year I don’t think him and Payton got a long and it had an impact.

I think he still has something left in the tank. He is just as in shape as the younger people, he takes good care of himself.

as for Justin, I like him as a sit behind and learn as a backup. I am an Ohio State Fan and of course I want to see him be successful in the NFL, I don’t think Chicago was the correct place for him.

Does anyone on here think CJ Stroud would have been what he is if he would have went to Chicago? Heck no he wouldn’t be, and neither will Caleb Williams

20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    What does STD think of Fields? :lolol:

Another Bears re-tread.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Thank you for confirming what I said that QBs can do well with another team. No need to respond. You're on 'ignore' starting right now.

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I've been a buckeye fan my whole life and watch them every week. Fields has flaws. He had the best of the best around him there. Big difference in the nfl. Not many of the osu qbs do anything in the nfl. That isn't the offense and opposition he will be in and face. :cool:

23. Rocky Mtn

Rocky Mtn Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2023

24. Rocky Mtn

Dec 31, 2023
    Maybe,but so does 16 points a game.

25. Rocky Mtn

Dec 31, 2023
    I think it's more due to the last couple seasons.