1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The return of Edmunds?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 29, 2024.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I was responding to a post saying he doesn’t tackle and was simply pointing out that he does. I know a high tackle number isn’t necessarily a good thing.

I get that you don’t rate Edmonds and everyone knows he has his flaws but they need at least 2-3 secondary players from free agency and they already have one of the highest paid safeties in the game so it’s unlikely they are going to spend big for a brand name guy.

They tried several guys last year after Terrell left and none of them were that good when they were on the field. I don’t particularly care if they bring Terrell back or not but they need to find a value for money safety to play alongside Minkah. There seems to be a lot of experienced guys available in free agency so hopefully they find the solution.

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Why do people keep saying they weren't good, and weren't good with Minkah???? None played long enough to know....including Minkah. So how honestly could we say that?? This would be like saying all the ILB weren't good. I think people forgot how many injuries we had at those positions.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I said that before the last draft doubled for two years

And I still think we could be much more competitive in 2025

Except for a QB

It’s like we are putting together a whole car that looks great but doesn’t have an engine

And the only engines available are from 58 Rambler and a 62 Falcon

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Many years ago the Steelers cut their leading tackler and did so on the next day after their last game

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    That is a fair point, it was an injury meltdown in the middle of the field all year long.

Hopefully minkah is back to top form in 2024 and they find a few guys to put around him.

I wouldn’t hate Terrell coming back as part of the answer but the team didn’t rate him enough to outbid the very modest contract he got last year from Philly so I wouldn’t be surprised if they look elsewhere

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Really? Do You remember who it was???

7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Unfortunately I do not and when I said a long time ago it was in Pitt Stadium Days if not Forbes Field

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No wonder I don't know. LoL .

9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Pickett was over drafted and there are lot of fans that still think he’s the next great franchise qb

10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    You’re ignoring the year before

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Neal is better than Edmunds, but he can't stay healthy. If they want to cut Neal and bring back Edmunds on a very cheap deal as a backup, that's fine, but they still need a starter.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Do you mean Markus Golden? I'm not sure they are going to spend much on that position. Herbig needs to get the snaps behind Watt and Highsmith.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He played with us the year before.

14. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    This statement might have been true at the beginning of last year but at this point I think it's a gross exaggeration.

• Like Like x 1
  15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I don’t. Some of the ride or die Kenny fans have changed their tune, but there is a significant number that still think it was all Canada and of course tomlin

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think it was all Canada. I do think Canada was a big reason why he regressed rather than taking a step forward this past season, but injuries and Pickett's own shortcomings are part of it, too.

An incompetent offensive coordinator doesn't create enough easy throws and doesn't do enough to help a young quarterback develop. Canada could not do those things. Hopefully, Smith can do that for Pickett.

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

correct

had we not drafted him, who knows how late into the 2nd round he would have gone.

point is.....well, the point IS the point.

he was not highly touted as some marquee QB - IF he was, well, he would have fallen to us.

18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

This has been hashed out dozens of times on this board. it’s very very well documented Kenny missed dozens of throws. Wide open easy throws. Kenny either chose to go somewhere else or ignored the receiver entirely. I’ll be happy to post the screenshots of Kenny ignoring a receiver covered 1 v1 and throwing to someone that’s triple covered when I get home if you want

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That he made it to 20 does not mean he would have fallen another 30 picks. People need to stop with this nonsense.

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    When you pound into a quarterback's head that he has to avoid interceptions at all costs and he has to follow the progressions as assigned in a poorly-designed scheme, that is going to create some of those errors. I'm sorry you don't understand that.

21. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

You’re making crap up now. You have no idea what Kenny was told to do.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah it’s a silly thing to say, at least in reference to anyone on this board.

It’s common sense to acknowledge that having a terribly unqualified OC would stunt your QB’s growth. They’ve already paid the price for that dumb decision last season and have to spend at least part of this season seeing if Pickett can be salvaged.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    As much as I also would want my favorite Colbert pick from 2018 to come back?!... I just don't see it happening. Tyler Nubin, Calen Bullock or even Tykee Smith are all possible in Rounds 2 to 3. That said, someone like Ruke Orhorohro, a Defensive Lineman I have been very high on, is a much better bet. Thankfully, Cole Bishop and others should be available in Round 3 so the options at Safety in the mid rounds is much more appeasing. Kamren Kinchens though.... man.... what happened?! :eek:

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    He was drafted around where he was projected

It is more likely he would still have been a day one draft pick

But go ahead and ignore the facts to fit your agenda

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I admit this is a theory, but it is one that is based in fact. The Steelers preach ball control. They preach winning the turnover battle. You have a quarterback who was aggressive when he first took over the job last season, but that mostly disappeared in 2023. You don't think any of that was coaching?