1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IF STEELERS GO FOR FIELDS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah… I really hope KP proves me wrong. If he becomes a championship caliber QB for us I’ll be very happy to admit I was wrong and eat a pile of crow. I don’t see that happening though. I think at best he’s another Garappalo or Carr.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Wow, have you ever heard of sarcasm???

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    No where even close to being being Jimmy G, but if he was that would be great

4. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    If he only gets to the Jimmy G level, I’d see that as a waste of a 1st round pick.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Electronic communication is difficult, sorry no hard feelings.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Have you seen the amount of first rd failures of qbs recently? I would take Jimmy G in a moment, but on the flip side he might get hurt signing contract!

7. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Wow,not everybody can be a Joe Montana, Pat Mahomes..Pretty high standards
    For a number 20 pick that if he fizzles will only cost the Steelers 14 mill..Its tough to be human when your expectations are so high.Of course some people never makes mistakes,play poorly.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Black & Gold Express

Black & Gold Express Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2019

Here is what YOU ALL need to
    be THINKING about with Fields.

In May of 2025…Fields will be
    owed a 20+ million guaranteed
    5th year option..if you want him
    for 2025 & beyond…no matter
    what he does in 2024.

Simple math says…HE** NO ! !

Resign Rudolph..trade Pickett

sign a veteran as a backup…&

draft Penix of Washington or

whichever rookie qb they like.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree with re-signing Rudolph but you’ve got to keep Pickett and give him another shot. I’d be good drafting a guy in the 3rd or 4th round like a Pennix or a Rattler.

And I wholeheartedly agree that we stay away from Fields! We just cut one highly touted Chicago QB bust so why sign another?!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    What if Pickett led the Steelers to a Super Bowl like Jimmy G did with the 49ers, is that still a wasted pick?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    All this ^^^^^^^^

12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Nobody seems to be jumping on this statement by Khan admitting the Steelers are in conversations with the Bears to trade for Fileds, but this was a shocker to me to hear Khan admit that there are conversations with the Bears taking place.

Question: Are you trading for Justin Fields.
    Khan: I am not going to go into details about the conversations that we have had.

Khan would then immediately try to back out of his admission that the Steelers were in talks with the Bears.

Question: There were discussions then?
    Khan: I am not going to get into any more details.

At 12:40 in this interview.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah

I remember the Morse code/telegraph days message boards were tough then

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016

They aren't jumping on it because it isn't an admission that the Steelers are in conversations with the Bears about trading for Fields. He is responding to that question in the most vague way possible, by making it clear they aren't going to talk about any of the trade conversations they have engaged in with other teams.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Sure, according to most people on this board. They are KFP haters it is really that simple. They want him to be Joe Montana right out of the gate.No learning curve for KFP he has to be all pro.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe because he never said any such thing

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Wow, I stuck a nerve by not being impressed with Jimmy G. I don’t think he’s all that good of a QB. Apparently the 49ers agreed because a year after getting to the Super Bowl they used 3 first round picks to get Trey Lance. Anyone think they would’ve done that if they had confidence in Jimmy G? Anyone remember how they got to Super Bowl that year? How about an NFC Championship game where they had 285 yards rushing and forced 3 key turnovers. Meanwhile Jimmy G passed for 77 yards. In fact, in 3 postseason games that year he averaged a little over 140 yards per game and had 2 TDs with 3 Ints. Jimmy G. didn’t lead the 49ers to a Super Bowl, he was along for the ride. He’s a system QB who needs excellent talent around him.

Now, if KP can be like Jimmy G. we would need to build a monster roster like the 2019 49ers, and run a system that is as QB-friendly as Shanahan’s. And even that won’t be enough because, unlike the NFC in 2019, we play in a conference loaded with most of the NFL’s best QBs.

18. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I’m a KP hater? I mean, how many times do I have to say I hope he balls out and makes me eat crow? I don’t have confidence in him because of what he’s shown on the field, but that doesn’t mean I’m a KFP hater. Also, I was talking about Jimmy G. Not KP.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Jimmy G was below average...He was just in a perfect situation with the 49ers for the coaching staff and supporting cast but you couldn't trust him when the game was close in the fourth quarter...Remember he only had 8 pass attempts in the NFC title game in 2019 and he cost the super bowl to its team with an awful fourth quarter

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Sure you are, I would think a rationale person would consider all things that has played out since KP was drafted.
    And how his circumstances transpired . He needs to play better this is a fact, but do we know what he was told by his superiors.
    has he been given a real chance to succeed with prior OC/play caller? I hope the Steelers bring in legit talent for him to compete with and may the best man win.
    Real competition makes everybody better. As coach MT says this a real important year for KP, if he doesnt improve don't offer him an extension.Why some of you people ever thought he was going to be a Patrick Mahomes Matt Stafford, Joe Burrow, that was never going to be the case for KP. But he can become a quality starter and hopefully get us to playoffs and win games in playoffs. Nobody is more disappointed than I am with the Steelers, it is time they become relevant again.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    "Obviously" :rolleyes:

22. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    I hope the conversation went like this:

Bears GM: We have to have a first this year and future draft picks in subsequent years.

Khan: *click*

Bears GM: Hello? Hello?!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think it’s a pretty good guess that he wasn’t told “don’t throw to the open receiver even when you see him breaking into the clear.” Canada was bad, but too much is made of the Canada effect. Canada was also the OC when KP showed some promising traits at the end of the 2022 season. Also, KP did have an experienced QB coach who has had success in that role in the NFL.

The best thing that can happen to the Steelers is for KP to be “the guy,” and be a good QB for 3 more years on his rookie deal. I would love for that to happen. I just don’t have confidence that it will happen.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Even better:

Bears GM: We hear you’re interested in Fields. We’re listening to any and all offers.

Khan: *click*

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Over the last couple of seasons, I’ve become totally convinced that Kenny’s issues are less about coaching and more about his inability to quickly process when it comes to reading and diagnosing defenses. If your physical skills are more limited, you’d better be a quick processor. It’s how Brady and Brees survived for so long and had so much success.

• Winner Winner x 1