1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dionte Johnson has to go!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    If they release DJ outright, they save $10M. Move Pickens to the X, Austin to the Z, and bring in Boyd as the slot.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Selfish because he wants better QB play? Maybe. It's also the nature of the current generation of players to be more vocal publicly, not just DJ.

Wait, so because certain players are more well liked they are allowed to hold out? I've got news for you regarding production:

Hines Ward years 1-5: 61 Starts, 330 Receptions, 3888 Yards, 27 TD's, 191 First Downs

Dionte Johnson Years 1-5: 67 Starts. 391 Receptions, 4363 Yards, 25 TD's, 217 First Downs

As far as locker room respect goes, unless you are in that locker room you do not know anything. Fan respect is meaningless....it's about what his teammates and coaches feel and none of us know that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Fights happen:

https://x.com/C_AdamskiTrib/status/634109367713972227?s=20

https://x.com/tribjoerutter/status/1156657461291560960?s=20

https://x.com/rayfitt1/status/1432431367418224646?s=20

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2...-so-scared-in-my-life-and-im-from-jersey.html

There are may others I'm sure.

4. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Yes they do. You took one part of my response and honed in on it without focusing non the why part. The reason behind the fight is what’s important. Are guys getting into fights because they are both running hot in the midst of competition? Thats ok. In fact at times some coaches encourage it. But when a player has a poor attitude, is loafing, not being a team player or is selfish thats a whole other issue.

5. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I think your off on your assessment of this. Nothing wrong with wanting a better QB. You think Minkah wants better Line play from Ogunjobi so he doesn’t have to come up and support the run all the time? How about Watt and Highsmith wanting some better CB play from Peterson or Wallace or Kazee so they have more time to get to the QB? I don’t here them throwing other players under the bus. Yes that is exactly what DJ is doing when he openly promotes Rudolph over KP. Its just immature. There is a better way of handling it. As far as respect in the locker room. It certainly didn’t look like Minkah had much respect for DJ. Your comparison of DJ to Ward is ridiculous. You know the style of offense and the period in which they both played is vastly different. How about targets and YAC in particular YAC after contact? That would be a better a comparison. DJ would not even make it on the filed when Ward played and if he did he wouldn’t last a whole season, no way.

6. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    The other thing as a fan. I just don’t enjoy his style of play and I don’t enjoy rooting for the guy. His style of play isn’t representative of the Steeler Standard.

7. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I get it but its not worth the effort to prove the point.

8. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Only way I do it is trade him for a 2nd rd pick but I doubt they would get a 2nd rd for him.

9. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    I just don't see him as any different from any other WR of this generation in the NFL.......if the Steelers keep moving on from guys just because they are looking for a unicorn with a 1990's mindset then they will never have a star WR here.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Again, it's this generation of player...........they can keep looking for that unicorn I guess.

11. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Funny how Bill Belicheck never had this generation of player on his team. Its about culture and setting expectations and discipline. What your saying is promoting tolerance and is an excuse to justify that players poor behavior. Thats like the Soccer Mom who is so naive and kind and thinks her “little Johnny” is the perfect kid until he gets out of Moms ear shot and he turns into a little brat.

12. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    So poor behavior and attitude is justified now? Your making excuses.... Its that acceptance of the poor behavior that promotes it. You should become a coach on Tomlin’s staff.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But not yet. Let's not weaken a position now because what we must do in the future .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Somebody show me all the teams that don't have problem children at wr. It's a league wide problem. Not a Steelers problem. Every week it's this wide out doesn't like it here, shamed his Qb there, talked bad after a game, and looks like they want out. You can seem to hear this every week from team to team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

we may be able to strengthen another roster position by trading him - and then take a WR with our #1 or 2 pick depending on when we take a C. Or we can get a #2 for him, in a trade. WR position does need work, one way or the other.

Or make a big splash on a better FA WR - there seems to be some talent out there. or all and both!

I guess we will see what is up Khans sleeve.

I would get something for him now, but that is me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    true

• Like Like x 1
  17. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You are so out of touch with reality.

18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Now you are reading players' minds. lol

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    He also has to share the targets with arguably the best wide receiver tandem in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Belichick had a murderer on his team though in Aaron Hernandez :rolleyes:.

21. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The Pats have not been relevant for 5 years. You're right, they kept the new generation of player off the team, and for that they relied on 1 player to carry that offense and until he just couldn't do it anymore....not enough talent on offense.....but they certainly didn't have to deal with those young attitudes I guess.

22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Not saying it's justified, however, poor behavior is subjective and there are two sides to every fight.

Also, I don't consider a man speaking his mind poor behavior.

23. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    If it isn’t inline with the teams best interests, the coaches direction and team unity then at a minimum his behavior lacks tactfulness.

24. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    They haven’t been relevant because of a lack of a franchise QB. They like many teams relay on QB for success. Their lack of success has nothing to do with the so called new generation of player you speak of.

25. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Not really. Basic human interaction, relationship, respect and treating others how you would like to be treated never goes away. Not sure how that is out of touch with reality.