1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IF STEELERS GO FOR FIELDS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Feb 12, 2024.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Said Bradshaw: “They’re going to beat [Kenny] Pickett up and they’re going to want to trade for Fields in Chicago. I say that’s a huge mistake. You don’t need Fields. Stay with what you got. Just build him up. Get him another receiver. Get him another explosive tight end. have the ability to protect him.”

2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

poor Terry

3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    That special they had about him in 2022, Going Deep, was pretty good but you could see that age was catching up to him. As it does to us all. It is on HBO if you want to check it out.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There are options, but the player/agent has to agree, I forget the specifics when GB made the offer to Love, it was basically not picking uo the option but restructuring it, as he had sat the entire time behind Rodgers, the team made a decision, he accepted and now looks to be in for a big payday. The problem with trying something like that with Fields is giving up draft capitol to get him. I would hope Omar is smart enough not to trade a 1st, but even a 2nd is a pretty high price for what could be a one year guy...or pick up that option and get stuck. If you say it's competition for KP, even before camp you have to make that decision, 23 million and a high draft pick is a lot to gamble on.

5. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    YAAAY more weapons for bigk to not see, or miss.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Fields is a year farther in, which is a big difference.

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Is there a website that is a good source of information about how often a team faces an 8-man box? I don't know of one, but you seem to have that information at your fingertips. Then again, maybe you were just going with your own observations without the statistical support on that one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Fields knows he’s looking at $32MM guaranteed over 2024-2025 (his team—whoever it is—has to make an option decision by early next month). Bears may not have much trade leverage, but Fields has some negotiating leverage.

9. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Any team that trades for fields will probably be making a big mistake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    It's actually May 2nd to declare the option this year, so the Bears really do not have to do much, except field trade offers up to the draft. Fields can't really do anything (unless given permission by the Bears), so really it's a waiting game. I really don't see that he holds much leverage at all, again unless a team and the Bears agree on some terms and they are allowed to approach him with contract language to accept before the trade. Even then I do not know if it would be enforceable legally or under the CBA, I know there is a few day period before the FA period where 'things' get done and it's either accepted by the League and CBA, or overlooked, so possibly things do get done behind closed doors, who knows, lol.

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I do understand where You are coming from, but My push back to that is.....They(really athletic Qbs) have relied on that part of their game so long(many from 6 years old, and on from how I've seen them coached) , and now people are asking them to look, and see the field a whole different way, and not just look here, and then the check down, and take off. That doesn't work in the NFL, and it takes a long time to change a life time of habits....time You won't get in the NFL.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I think it’s moot. I still believe Pickett is the plan and they will bring in someone they think can step in if Pickett fails. I still feel that will be Tannehill just because of the connection to Smith.

I’ve been warming up to the idea of Wilson if Denver releases him. 1 year contract, if Pickett falls on his face, I feel that would be a good plan B. Someone will likely offer him a starting job though.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Be honest..the Wilson thing is kinda warming on Me also. I just don't want them to pay a lot, and He isn't coming to be a backup.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s not just time. Most college QBs coming into the NFL (athletic or pocket passers) don’t have the ability to process information at a high enough speed to consistently know where to go with the ball quickly enough to run a productive passing offense in rhythm. I think back to the Pure Progression video by Kurt Warner that Blast posted in another thread. In that video Kurt is just addressing the pre-snap look, but in reality NFL defenses will shift before or after the snap, and roll into a completely different coverage. For example, a team could show Cover 2, but then both corners bail and one safety comes up either just before or at the snap, and the real coverage is Cover 3. Not only are there different ways to attack Cover 2 and Cover 3, but the changed coverage may have flipped the defender in conflict to the other side of the field. Smart defensive coordinators do so many things like that to disguise the true coverage, and the QB needs to be able to decipher it in an instant. Even really smart QBs like Josh Dobbs aren’t always able to process that quickly.

Now, to Blast’s point about talent, a guy who has raw talent and mobility has the ability to sometimes overcome limitations in processing speed by just playing “see it, get it” if he’s confused about the read and isn’t able to execute the called play in rhythm. But how many QBs with that kind of limitation have won super bowls?

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, he has to be promised the starting job to come here. My warming up to it is a luke warm kind of warming up. I think there’s a chance that he could have a late career resurgence here, but I don’t see it as a high probability thing. I do think it’s a lot more likely than Pickett turning into a championship caliber QB though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Plan B is illegal in Pa

It would be cool to have both Ryan and Mason unless they all fall on their face then we would have to go with Duck

although you would prefer
    Malik Willis :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I just don't think Wilson is going to sign on to be the backup or to compete for the job.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Would you take him as the starter for on a 1 year contract while Kenny sits and learns for another season?

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Apparently Kenny doesn’t learn anything sitting :shrug:

His words not mine

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Essentially if they do this it is at most a half hearted belief in KP. If he sits for a year, then next off season they either pick up his guaranteed 5th year option not seeing any on field action, or decline it and let him play out his last year to prove he should get paid. I really see no merit in either scenario, they either believe this is the year he can do it, or if they bring in a guy who is a short term starter they are also looking for the next guy in line, perhaps an unknown who shows promise. They could sit KP for a year, but I think it shows they have no confidence that he will really ever develop.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The problem with going that route is that if Wilson stays healthy, they learn nothing more about Pickett before deciding on his fifth-year option. Sitting and watching may have been helpful in year one or two, but I don't think it helps him or the team to have the guy sit in year three.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I don't necessarily want the Steelers to pay a huge price for Fields and I don't know that I feel he can take the team to a championship but I also don't buy into the thought process that Chicago is getting rid of him because he's trash. This notion of not wanting a QB another team is getting rid of seems kind of absurd to me. If that was the case, teams would never acquire a QB in free agency ever because
    some other team is getting rid of them.

Chicago just happens to be in a tough situation with Fields because maybe they feel his ceiling is simply lower than Caleb Williams, who is widely considered to be a generational talent. They would be dumb not to draft him and at the very least, reset the rookie QB contract. That doesn't necessarily mean Fields won't ever be a successful QB. It would be a risky move though to give up on Pickett for a guy who isn't a slam dunk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    They are also in a unique situation of drafting first overall because the Panthers Panthered. The Bears might think they have a good QB, but are willing to roll the dice on someone they think can be great. It's not like they are giving up on Fields for Bo Nix. They consider Williams a generational talent, so why not roll the dice?

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't see many teams that would be willing to make Wilson their starter.

25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Kenny had said mostly the right things up until he said that. This was exactly the wrong thing to say. Maybe it was a weak moment and his ego was a little bruised, but that curt answer was ridiculous. He should have said "I learn best by doing but I can also learn a lot from the sidelines, in the film room and even while sitting on the toilet. I'm a young player and still have much to learn. Even seasoned vets can learn. So, yes, to answer you question, I can learn from the sidelines."

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1