1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Dionte Johnson has to go!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Feb 20, 2024.

1. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    upload_2024-2-21_13-42-22.jpeg 1962 is calling! :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Find a better QB and the complaining goes away. These WR’s income depends on having a good QB so ya I’d definitely expect him to get pissed when his QB sucks and nothing is done about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Dang. It looks like in the old days at least one of them could still be on the squad while knocked up.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You have a link to Diontae planning on another hold in :rolleyes:?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Boyd is a slot WR, and Diontae plays on the outside and is a much better player.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    All of this because anyone can post anything stupid on the internet

And apparently 46.9% of the population is dumb enough to believe it

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Johnson isn’t going anywhere. They already need to bring in a WR with Robinson an almost certain cut.

Johnson is a very good receiver, you saw what he could do with the connection he and Rudolph had. He’ll finish out his contract here but I wouldn’t expect the Steelers to extend him again.

I still think they should look into signing Evans. Add that kind of leadership and talent to this WR room and it would be one of the best in the league.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I agree with you on Johnson. I would also rather go after Tee Higgins than Evans. A lot more upside even though Evan’s has more experience. Higgins is going to want to go to somewhere that needs a #1 WR though.

9. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Steelers Depot, Nation or Now.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    But nothing actually from Johnson

Just random people making stuff up

eh

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022

No there was a quote in the article from Johnson and I actually saw the interview where he said he preferred Rudolph to come back. I thought at the time that was not a smart statement to make.

12. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I also saw the interview where he said that. I listed a bunch of other reasons why I don’t want the guy on the Steelers.

13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I was going more to the hold in part

14. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    He made the statement in an interview. I saw the interview. It was right after the playoff loss not sure why it is coming up now. At the time I thought that was wrong to make that statement.

15. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I hear you but he did it before so based on his past actions and it being reported it is pretty easy to believe. Putting my dislike for the guy aside I think it would be wise to trade him anyway as he doesn’t fit the offense and there is some value in trading him now when we can get something for him. Obviously provided we can get a WR to replace him in FA or the draft.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I just don’t see a fit in Arthur Smiths offense for DJ. As a luxury or third receiver sure. But are you seriously going to ask him to block downfield or seal the edge? Do you see him turning into a running back after the catch and breaking tackles like Debo Samuel? I would rather get Friermuth more engaged and bring in somebody like Evans who might be a little more money ar a high floor Rookie with some YAC ability that can block. Or spend that money on a CB FA or C or OT. Obviously we can’t get rid of him unless we have comparable replacement that is a better fit for the offense. I just don’t see it being of value to resign him because he is not a good fit for the offense moving forward or a building block for this team. The guy had a chance to be a leader this year and he actually displayed the opposite of being a leader. You can not win and advance the team with players with attitudes like that on your team. We put up with that crap with AB only because he was uber talented and productive. DJ is significantly less talented and significantly less productive than AB. How many championships did we win with AB by the way?

17. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    1. There is no doubt that to me that every WR in the room wanted Mason to start, he was better than Pickett. I don't really care if they say it publicly or not, it only matters how his teammates feel about it, not the fans.

2. Hines Ward did a "Hold in", so did TJ Watt, Cam Heyward, Minkah. Any problem with this guys.

As far as soft goes, receivers go backwards on certain plays to create space...a lot of them do it all over the NFL, see it all the time. It's not because they are soft. Watched several do it in the SB.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Not only is Higgins going to a spot that needs a WR 1, he is likely to reset the market once the Cowboys finish their contract with CeeDee Lamb. The Panthers are an excellent choice as Bryce Young has literally no one at present; much less the entirety of the Panthers WR Room.

19. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I really don't have a problem with DJ the person. I don't think he's as toxic as many on the board thinks. I'd definitely sign him to an extension, if possible. But I don't think they'd be able to afford him with Muth getting a bigger deal, Harris getting a 5th year option and Warren getting a pay raise. Someone from that group of those names + DJ won't be retained, so I'd argue you might as well trade him for a 2nd and a mid round pick next year. I don't like the idea of Pickens being the only reliable returning WR, but in a new system and a FA WR or two plus a midround WR pick makes that move sound like it could benefit the team in the short and long term.

An unpopular move I'd consider is trading Watt after June 1st for a stockpile of picks cap space. Moving Watt after June 1st and Johnson opens up 31m in cap space to sign a couple of starts in other positions of need and helps the team get younger for the short and long term. I really don't want to move either of them, but the rebuild can happen faster with a couple of shrewed moves that gives you the draft capital to trade up into the top 5 next year and get your QB of the future.

20. LoneHorseman

LoneHorseman Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Thank God the quote you said was pens. When I first read it, I was a bit inebriated, and misread the sentence. Had a hell of a time sleeping that night!!!

• Like Like x 1
  21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I care more about a WR's ability to run routes, catch balls, and make plays than I do whether or not he can seal an edge. If that is the most important thing in Arthur Smith's offense, than just keep 2-3 WR's on the team and roster 5 TE's.... We need another threat other than Pickens or else defenses are just going to double team him all game. I don't care if it is another guy, but we need someone proven and Evans is just the same dude Pickens is... DJ and Pickens actually complement each other well. A route tactician and a vertical big play threat with a massive catch radius.

Every team has a problematic personality or two... it just so happens that league-wide those guys tend to be WR's. Its part of the NFL, and today's youth isn't getting any more "team first" or humble with the way media is (and social media) today.

I am fine with moving on from DJ if we have a real option to bring in. The FA market sucks outside of Higgins. Evans is a good player but old and redundant for us. Not a great fit. Tyler Boyd is just a worse version of the exact same scenario. Marquise Brown is somewhat attractive, but we already have a better version of him on the team in DJ.... We'd probably have to take a 1st or 2nd round WR in this scenario and I don't think this team is in any position to do that at the moment.

DJ isn't perfect. There's the attitude element (one that I think vanishes entirely once Pickett is replaced since that is the ONLY time in his career I ever remember him being an attitude problem), but he has mental lapses in his game and stretches of time where he has a lot of drops on otherwise pretty sure hands. He isn't a leader, but not every player has to be. But he's a very good player, and one we would definitely miss if we shipped him out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    not quite the same leadership but they did sign marquez callaway from the saints. :cool:

23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Here is a good start:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The issue is they are razor thin at the position. You keep Johnson and draft a receiver in the 3rd or 4th as a replacement for next season when he is gone. You have to get Pickens more involved as this will be his 3rd season.

25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

let him WALK after 2024 season as a FA or trade for something now?

I'd trade.....