1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IF STEELERS GO FOR FIELDS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Feb 12, 2024.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Any team that trades for Fileds will probably pick up his 5th year option, that extension likely wouldn't happen for a year or more.

2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He didn't look like that in the 1st season
    ...the same reason a lot of players don't look as good in the 2nd. The NFL has game tape, and time to break it down more during the offseason.

3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I Love how everyone says how hard it is to get a great Qb today, and then turns around, and says let's trade for a Qb that Chicago doesn't want anymore. LoL. You can't make this up. Chicago doesn't want Him anymore, and almost let Him go last year, but decided to try one more year. That would be like people try to trade us a pick for KFP when we decide we are done with Him.
    No team gets rid of a Qb they think has a future as a good starter in the NFL. Nobody. Unless they are getting up in age, and the price doesn't go with the years left, and this is not the case. People they don't want Him anymore.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Would you be open to trading our 1st rounder & 2nd rounder for Jordan Love?

I don't know if that's too steep or not.

5. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Not happy da Bears gave us Trubisky, yet want more trash from them in another 1 rd bust. Come on, your better than this Blast

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    :facepalm:

7. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    100 percent correct my man

• Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    But he can run. I'm starting to think @Blast Furnace would take any Qb that can run. LoL. It doesn't matter if they can read a D, or pass the ball. LoL. You know half of this is a joke , but half isn't. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Its a wonder we arent hearing about Trey Lance yet!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    I know many might disagree, but if we can get Jimmy G on the cheap i would take him

11. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    But hell, Jimmy G might get hurt signing contract

12. Steelpens65

Nov 28, 2021
    Im still wanting Rattler if he is available in 4 rd

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hell He's suspended a couple of games for whomever he plays for...you count that ,and tge injuries....you may only get 3 games out of him. LoL

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Sadly I think you are probably right.

15. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Yeah it does appear that way with Russ. I wonder how the other Players would be around him.

16. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I agree and living here in ATL, many fans were not happy that he passed on Fields. QB play was the reason for his failure here and the fans turned on him. ATL has some players but nobody to get them the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Smith was the head coach in Atlanta when they passed on Fields to take a tight end. I buy into the reporting that claims he didn't like Fields, who hadn't done all that much to earn any trust in his ability as a passer.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He had two big games this past season. In the other 11, he had eight touchdowns and eight interceptions. Keep in mind that this is also a year further into his pro career than Pickett. It seems as if the choice is Pickett, their second-round pick, fourth-round pick and more cap flexibility over the next two years or Fields. Fields isn't good enough to justify the latter selection.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You know me :lolol:

I’m a sucker for talent, you have that or you don’t but I feel the other part of the game can be learned with enough time. Thing is, you rarely get that time. Well, Fields just completed year 3, I feel we would be getting him at the opportune time.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You are talking about physical talent, but a quarterback's potential is also the mental aspects of the game such as intelligence, processing speed, attitude, work ethic, leadership, and mental toughness. So much of the game is mental, and that seems to be where Fields has been lacking so far in his pro career. If a quarterback doesn't have those mental abilities, the speed and arm strength won't do him any good.

21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Fields is in the same draft class as Najee. Their teams have to notify the NFL before May 2nd to pick up the 5th year option. There is no waiting for a year to see how Fields turns out before committing to the 5th year option for Justin Fiends.

• May 2: Deadline to exercise fifth-year option (for 2024) for players chosen in Round 1 of the 2020 NFL Draft.
    The 5th year option becomes a fully guaranteed salary as soon sas the team pick's up the option.

Najee Haris 5th year option $6.6 million
    Justin Fields 5th year option $23.3 million fully guaranteed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Teams realized they could stack the box and play zone behind it against us. Stop the run and force Kenny to actually read a defense and move the ball downfield...

It's never good in the NFL when your QB can't win consistently against 8 man boxes. Teams just aren't afraid of his capability to beat them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m aware but I don’t believe any of those are a problem for him, we aren’t talking about Willis.

I believe 2 HC’s and 2 OC’s is the greater problem. I feel he and Pickett are in the same boat with receiving poor coaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Hall of Famer, 4 time Super Bowl Champion, Two Time Super Bowl MVP Terry Bradshaw said it would be a mistake to trade or bring in Fields.

He likes and has endorsed Pickett.

I agree I don't want any part of Fields. The Bears are probably giving up on him. And if so how do the Bears think he is worth any pick compensation?

Wasting a 2nd and a 4th? This team needs building blocks not a flash in the pan discarded average QB who throws a lot of picks. Oh boy he can run :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah but it’s the Bears. They thought Claypool was worth a second rd. Not sure how much stock I’d put into their evaluation of Fields.

Agree with TB though and overall that is my preferred course of action but I would be happy with Fields if they went that route.

• Agree Agree x 1