1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IF STEELERS GO FOR FIELDS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I’m actually warming to the idea of Wilson. We can get cheap for a year and not lose draft capital. Under Arthur Smith and a strong run game and play action it could be perfect for resurrecting his career. KP can sit and learn for a year.

2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    In all honestly the modern day Steelers QB he compares most directly to is Landry Jones. Not great company.

3. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Wilson on a favorable contract might be ok... He isn't the player he used to be, but maybe he could be fine for a year or two. I just don't like Russell as a person. He just seems like such a fake and such a tool. As a player in the current situation, maybe he'd be fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    In that context it might work, but again sitting KP for a year still has drawbacks for the team in the long run. You get Russ cheap for a year, then you overpay for an aging QB (did we not do that with Ben), or you pick up the 5th year option on KP not really knowing if he really learned anything.

We are in that no man's land, if you move up to get a QB pick you still have a high chance he is not great or even better than mediocre. I'm not saying things they try won't work, but the decades between TB and Ben were not great, a few moments and better success when Cowher came, but still a lot of angst. It is what it is, the QB position is pretty sparse with talent as it is, if he gets cut and you can bring him in, he is probably the best and possibly cheapest with the options they have, honestly nothing really drives deep hope at this point.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'd just like him to turn out to be Neil O'Donnell (minus the Super Bowl interceptions :facepalm:).

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You always accuse me of being a bit hyperbolic (which I admit to, lol), but my use of hyperbole pales in comparison to some of these "experts" who think Fields is the guy to put the Steelers over the top. Fields' career thus far has been less than stellar so what makes these guys think that all of a sudden he's going to transform into Mahomes 2.0 if he dons the Black & Gold?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I think that the fact that Fields has gotten better every year in Chicago coupled with the fact that the Steelers have a run game, some quality young weapons, and just an overall better offensive situation that the one he walked into in Chicago has people thinking that Fields could be even better than he has been. This could be good enough to get the Steelers offense to viability to match an already quality defense. I don't think anyone thinks Fields will be Mahomes, just that he would be a lot better than what we currently have, and that could be enough to get us in contention with teams like KC, Baltimore, and Buffalo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  10. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    That's the exact scenario they have been saying on 93.7 the fan. A second and a fourth for Fields.

11. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Sorry Pittsburgh, but the odds took a serious hit today and the Steelers are no longer the favorite to land Fields.

After Fields deleted all his Bears stuff on Scoial media, and started following a few players from Atlanta; the Falcons are now the odds on favorite to land fields.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
  13. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    KFP not even close to Neil

14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

agreed

Wilson + a draft pick

Wilson is a good fit, for what we have and are doing. Lean on the run game + Pickens, DJ (or if they trade him, find the next STUD or get a talent FA) + 88

Let this D rest a little too!!

15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

nope - not even worth the energy to type it

16. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

smoke, mirrors, charades - young players, social media - ALL pre free agency noise!

sit tight!!!

and DON'T listen to dummy Dulac

Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I’m in the Fields camp, it’s the one move I’d be ok giving up on Pickett so soon.

Fields is super talented and IMO he isn’t nearly as bad as he is being portrayed. SB? Who knows but I feel he levels the playing field with the other QB’s in the AFC, Mahomes being the exception.

My biggest concern with Pickett is not will be play better this season but is his ceiling that of only a Derek Carr?

19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Question: Would you pick up his 5th year option for $25 million in May without ever seeing him play a down for the Steelers?

20. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Field can't take care of the ball and Arthur Smith didn't want him in Atlanta. What has he done in the last three years to improve his stock since then?

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Think that is speculation about Smith but regardless that’s not his call here.

Fields has been better protecting the ball this year, towards the end of the season he had a 5 game stretch with only 1 pick. I believe his fumbles were down too but running QB’s are always going to fumble more that those that don’t run. He also shows better pocket awareness and keeping his eyes down field while on the run. He said himself that the year before he would just take off running but last season he had a better feel for the pocket and not resort to running so quickly.

He’s been in the league three years, I think we’d be getting him right when he’s about to start playing at a consistent high level. Bears did the dirty work and we’ll benefit, thats how I see it. I think the Bears would be making a big mistake to draft Williams, they should trade that pick and use that windfall to continue to build around Fields.

22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t think that will even be an issue if the Steelers trade for him, I think they’d just work out a new long term deal.

23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    To me we have a short window as a lot of our key players are in their prime . The team needs better QB play so the question is how much better is Fields than KP.? IMO he is much better .

24. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Actually that would be Rudolph and if not for the Steelers bringing him back as 3rd string he would have followed the same exact path.

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    MT wants ball security above everything, and I understand this . The
    Emperor knew this was paramount along with having a stellar defense
    and good kicking game. Stack w's

• Agree Agree x 1