1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IF STEELERS GO FOR FIELDS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Going on about having his best season with Fields does imply some sort of breakout even though it wasn't. He had broken out years earlier with Carolina.

My point about those two games is that Fields has moments of brilliance surrounded by a great deal of below-average, turnover-prone play. He had those two big games against terrible defenses, which does matter in an evaluation of the player. That is part of the whole picture with him rather than just looking at overall numbers. In the other 11 games (he missed four), Fields threw eight touchdowns and eight interceptions. Regarding taking care of the ball, he also has an issue with fumbles. He fumbled the ball 10 times in 2023, which was the lowest total of his career. He fumbled 16 times in 2022.

He isn't just erratic in my view. I presented numbers that back it up. You presented false accusations and now want to bail on your failed argument.

Peace.

2. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Lol, whatever. You just got exposed.

Thanks for proving my point about what would happen if someone actually went back for receipts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    My agenda is to score points

If that’s not your agenda then you need a new agenda

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I'm not dug in, its just what he's shown so far. He's sucked. He's started 24 games and sucked in 3+ quarters of over 20 of them. It's the truth of the situation. I'd certainly prefer he didn't suck, that is for sure. I don't care who the guy is. It can be Kenny, Cousins, Fields, Penix, Nix... Whoever, as long as its a lot better than it has been the last two seasons. Watching a talented team tread water because they can't field a competent QB is SUPER frustrating.

And IDC if its "too bad" for me... its "too bad" for all of us. We all have to watch that garbage, the Steelers have to try to win games with that garbage, the franchise had to answer for that garbage. Everyone has some skin in the game, not just me. We can "see what he has" with a better OC, that is fine, but based on everything we've seen so far (which has been surprisingly, a lot) I wouldn't count on much.

• Like Like x 4
  5. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Perfectly said. The offense's purpose is to score points, and the QB is the general. We need to find a way to score points, and it seems the simplest answer at this point is to replace our QB who's caliber of play is the biggest thing holding our offense back from scoring points.

6. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    It's not just the breaking from the pocket that is the issue. It's what you do with it. When Patrick Mahomes breaks the pocket, it usually ends up being a big play for the offense. When Ben broke the pocket, the same. Heck, even Lamar is dangerous when he breaks pocket whether its his legs or his arm.... It is fine to break the pocket if you have the ability to still make huge plays when you do.

Kenny just doesn't make plays. Neither did Trubisky in his time here. Mason made the plays that were in front of him. It was some baseline, "bare minimum" Quarterbacking that we hadn't gotten from Kenny and Mitch. It isn't shocking that the offense lit up the scoreboard. And who cares if they weren't good defenses.... at least we lit them up like we would expect. Its certainly a lot better than going into a stadium with a mediocre to poor defense and struggling to put together 19 points and eke out a win. Put up 30 on those scrubs. We did. Finally. I want to see more of that next season.

• Like Like x 1
  7. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Nope, no false accusatiions here. Moore had his most productive season, whether you acknowledge it or not, the numbers don't lie. You still harp on the 2 terrible defense teams, that everyone should have eaten up, but they didn't. Most folks with football knowledge can see that Fields made improvement this year with the addition of Moore. Chicago is still a terrible team but not because of Fields. I'm not bailing, just not entertaining BS.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. All You proved is that... besides this post....you wrote a bunch of $hit I didn't bother to read. LoL. Hope whatever you thought You achieved makes You happier. LoL. Thor....LoL :roflmao:

9. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I love how you think people believe your BS.

And.. LoL....LoL....Lol back to you.

I think I missed one. LoL...........

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I love how You actually think I care Thor. LoL

11. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I know, I know. You don't care about anyone on this board, but keep complaining about how nobody listened to your version of revisionist history.

I know.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No ....I don't care about You Thor. There are plenty of people on this board I care about what they say.....You just happen to not be one of them. Simple. Thor....LoL.

13. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    You better care about Thor or he will bring the Hammer down on you.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You falsely claimed that I was making false points. I wasn't. I was bringing facts and opinions to the discussion that you don't like. You also falsely claimed that you didn't have time for this discussion, yet here you are responding again.

Moore had already broken out with the Panthers. Fields made progress in some areas and regressed in others, and his overall numbers are inflated by two big games. I'm sorry you still don't understand that part of the discussion.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ohhh Noo!!!!! LoL

• Like Like x 1
  16. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Since when are you or any fan scoring points? You and the two board members that gave that a winning rating are out on the field? No wonder the offense sucks.

Where you are dug in is your refusal to believe anything that may have been stunting his growth which is pretty freaking obvious that there was.

Won’t suck for me, I’ll enjoy watching him play much better this season with a competent OC.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Dum Dum Dum

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2024-2-18_22-13-38.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I have not heard anything about how Arthur Smith feels about Justin Fields. I don't see Justin Fields running Arthur's offense. I see Arthur Smith going back to the old Tennesse offense, with your classic pocket passer under center, using your running game to pound the defense and setup the passing game.

Hopefully Arthur Smith can slow the Mike Tomlin and Justin Fields stuff.

I still believe that Mason will comeback to the Steelers for the exact same money Mitch was playing for. (With Incentive Mitch's 2 contract (2022&2023) he signed with the Steelers: 2 yrs for 27 million and then 3 years for 33 million)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  21. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Connoisseur of the low scoring game are we?

I mean, we can all agree that Canada sucked... But its not like we can throw 100% of the blame on the Offensive Coordinator. There is no perfect scenario for QB's in the NFL. There is also a lot of growth that happens outside of the locker room. Kenny is a good enough athlete and has good enough tools and mechanics to succeed in the NFL. His downfalls have been that he's struggled to read NFL defenses and he is inaccurate. Don't see how 2 months with a new OC over the summer is going to magically change that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Clearly I feel they will score more points next season. I’ve done enough deep dive into this to feel pretty good that his struggles had a great deal to do with the OC. The fact that the Steelers fired a coach for the first time in a 100 years should emphasize just how bad he was.

His game regressed a great deal, he didn’t look like this in his first season. The one really negative thing from the first season that he continued to do this season was the lack of TD passes. It’s always been about his ceiling for me, even before they drafted him.

• Like Like x 1
  23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  24. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    His game didn't regress a great deal, it was just more of the same. The only reason it feels like he regressed was due to expectations. His lack of TD's/low INT's are the same, his % of bad throws and on-target throws variance (YOY) is less than a percent in each category, and his PPG remains nearly the same. We felt a lot better about Kenny's 2022 for a number of reasons. First, is that expectations for a rookie are lower that would be for a guy in his 2nd year and beyond. Also, while his PPG was low, he did manage to win some games and cut down on the turnovers as the year went on (both good signs) so it appeared that he was showing progress. All of these things combined to feel like a good rookie season (and by most accounts it was totally fine). 2023 felt so miserable because we had expectations that Kenny would progress and he remained the same player. Nearly the exact same guy. First, a LOT of people (myself included) bought into the Training Camp/Preseason hype. He looked poised to at bare minimum take a small leap, but potentially could take a BIG step and become someone in the league. However, it was crushing when it went the same way 2022 went. Lots of poor play and turnovers/turnover worthy plays followed by safe and uninspiring play down the stretch. He still struggled reading defenses and still struggled with his accuracy. The hype train crashed and burned the first 4 weeks and never recovered. While we can agree that Canada sucked, I can't buy that Canada is the sole reason for Kenny's struggles, and simply replacing him with someone better is going to "fix" a player that is a lot better than he has shown. As someone who has been in the shoes of a professional athlete, I know that this is almost NEVER the case. It ultimately comes down to the player. I've seen good players overcome bad coaching, I've seen good players look better than they are due to good coaching... but I can confidently say I've never seen a bad player become good solely based on good coaching. It doesn't happen. In the end if Kenny flames out of Pittsburgh it wont be because we didn't coach him right, it will be because he wasn't good enough.

His ceiling is fine. There isn't anything that Brock Purdy, Kirk Cousins, and Dak Prescott are doing that Kenny couldn't. You don't have to be Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes to be good enough to win it all. You either have to be elite above the neck and accurate, OR bring something else elite to the table (like Lamar Jackson's running ability). Since Kenny doesn't have that, he needs to be great above the neck reading defenses and making good decisions AND he has to be accurate. Unfortunately these are his two biggest flaws, and this simple fact is why I don't feel good at all about Kenny's prospects of development. I want to see real change in his game. Not "be the same guy" but score 20-21 ppg because Smith's system is just better than Canada's... That's just window dressing. I mean marked provable improvement in his ability to read the field and deliver accurate balls. I haven't seen anything thus far that suggests that either of these things are possible, let alone probable.

I hope your optimism is correct. I really do. I wish I shared the same sentiment... I guess we will likely just have to find out. I don't agree with it, but since none of us have any say we are along for the ride regardless. I hope I am wrong.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I hope you and I both are wrong about Kenny and he’ll have an opportunity to prove himself. At this point in his career, it feels like he would’ve fit in pretty well with the lackluster quarterback group of the 80s.