1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IF STEELERS GO FOR FIELDS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You can dismiss the Canada effect all you like, but the fact remains that Pickett had arguably his best game as a pro in the first game after Canada was fired. I keep bringing up the Bengals games because it is as close as we get to an apples-to-apples comparison of Pickett and Rudolph this past season. It's not exactly even because the Bengals' defense was weaker when Rudolph faced them due to injury. Pickett was every bit as good when you compare those two contests. He didn't have the benefit of the Bengals being stupid enough to play man on Pickens all game as Rudolph did, but he still should have been over 300 yards with a touchdown if not for the officiating/lack of challenge early on.

Funny how you acknowledge the blown call against the Bengals, but you turn right around and ignore it when summing up Pickett's performance in that game. I don't accept your premise that it was a worse performance than Rudolph's against the Bengals. Rudolph had the benefit of Pickens turning an intermediate reception into a long touchdown. He also missed three or four open receivers on deep balls, something Picket didn't do in the first meeting. As I pointed out, the Bengals were further weakened by that game, something you either chose to leave out or did not realize.

Also, you mention Pickett fumbling in the Cardinals game as well, but you didn't mention him fumbling in any other game. You also forgot that the fumble was actually Cole's fault, one of two bad snaps on third downs that scuttled drives.

Pickett has played two seasons with a terrible offensive coordinator and a leaky offensive line. Those things led him to regress rather than make progress. There is at least some potential for improvement there. Rudolph is six years in. He is what he is, a competent quarterback who probably should be a No. 2. Of course, Pickett has to play better. It is also worth noting that it took him a while to produce at Pitt, too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I don’t think a bad OC explains KP happy feet and fleeing the pocket when he didn’t have to. The reason why Rudolph had success is he stayed in the pocket and waited for the routes to progress. This is where KP will need to improve.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They changed several things in the very first game without Canada. Different personnel groupings for starters, they ran 13 personnel just 7 times under Canada and matched that number in the Cincy game, even more than that I think. They were running and passing out of that grouping with success.

They also stopped the useless motions and actually began having a purpose and building on plays. Like having Robinson motion to run an insert block several plays to spring Harris and then have Robinson run the same motion but run out to the flat to receive a pass instead. Setting up plays for later in the game was completely missing under Canadas leadership.

They had better concepts and were scheming guys open.

They attacked the MOF very successfully.

And also started using more gap blocking and less zone. People like to attribute the ground game doing better due to Rudolph, no, they changed the blocking. They ran for 150 yards in that Cincy game.

That was just the first game. They tweaked more things by the time Rudolph took over. Do you really think they fired a coach for the first time in 100 years in season just to do everything the same. Come on man.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It is, but coaching was a part of that. I don't just mean the poor concepts. I mean not being good enough at their jobs to help Pickett make those improvements. I also mean pounding into his head that he has to avoid interceptions at all costs. I think they got him to be too risk-averse, which is what led to some of the bailing out early rather than taking the shot down the field.

5. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Well, that's good. It shouldn't.

But it doesn't do much to explain your defensiveness and lashing out when people disagree with you on certain subjects, including bits like:

Also, while in a waiting room this evening I went back to the Matt Canada New OC thread to see who the many were that laughed at you. Not only did I not find them (there were actually quite a few that expressed less than jubilant feelings over his promotion) but this was the strongest criticism you had of his hiring in the thread:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    No one typed about a breakout season for Moore, just the yardage production and the dude only had 9 ints on the season. The guy had a pretty decent season, given what he had to work with in ChiTown. And you brought up Den and Wash, who played 17 games against other QBs and some did not put up the numbers that Fields did against them. I only mentioned them because you entered them into the discussion. He may be erratic in your view but I can cherry pick many QBs and make fake points too, but I don't have time for that chit.

Peace

7. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I didn't ignore anything regarding the Bengals game. Acknowledged that could've/should've been a TD, but Rudolph scored more points and threw more TD's even if we were to give Kenny a TD on that play (which we shouldn't because the only reason that wasn't a gimme TD was because the ball was a bit late and a much tougher catch than it should have been). That is fine that you don't accept the premise. You obviously are using different criteria to measure the game than me. That is fine. And I don't care if its a catch and run or not. Pickett had a long Pickens catch and run in the first Browns game for a TD that I didn't mention bc it hardly matters. Sometimes delivering the ball on time and into a position where the WR can make a play is good enough. That is a great play either way.

Agreed on the terrible OC, but I cant accept the "leaky offensive line" when Pickett faced a league average time to throw. He wasn't hurried at a super high rate compared to the rest of the NFL, and quite frankly some of the "hurries" he received were self-inflicted. I can understand wanting to hold out hope as long as possible because Kenny was a first round pick. We used premium capital to get him. I just don't want us to make the mistake of holding on too long like we did with Canada. There really hasn't been much that justifies having a lot of hope that he overcomes his struggles and becomes an NFL caliber QB.

8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    1. They used the same playbook. Yes, they used certain parts more than Canada did, but that is a single game sample size.
    2. The motions were always just window dressing. Same formation, same plays
    3. Concepts were the same because the playbook was the same. They could have used the playbook more effectively, but they were the same plays...
    4. eh, one game. Small sample size. Hard to tell if it was a fluke or just the game plan to force it more middle of the field.
    5. This was actually implemented by Canada. Started in the Tennessee game to good success, then in GB to great success.
    6. Of course EVERYTHING wasn't the same. It was pretty darn close. Except for the results. Those were pretty wide

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    How was I being misleading in mentioning that Moore had his best season with Fields? That is simply a fact, and I also acknowledged that Fields wasn't likely to replicate that same success with any one of our receivers because Moore is a superior talent to our receivers. That is not being at all misleading, but you were basically trying to discredit me by making the same point that I had already acknowledged.

And thanks for making my other point, too. Kenny has also played against his share of bad defenses, and if he had ever come close to totaling 300 yards and four touchdowns in any game, maybe I'd have more hope for him. But he hasn't even come close to doing what Fields has done multiple times. As zcoop pointed out, you are the one cherry-picking stats, so maybe you should reconsider who is being misleading.

I mentioned that I would be interested in Fields at the right price and in the right situation depending on how Smith can use him. He brings upside and the potential to have a more explosive offense, but there are weaknesses and limitations to his game that would have to make the cost worth the risk. However, I do believe he would instantly become the best and most dangerous quarterback on this team if the Steelers acquired him, so I think it would be nice if the front office does their homework on this and not simply dismiss it out of hand.

10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    These are all things I have watched on film breakdown. Of course they didn’t change the entire playbook but they did implement new things.

You’re just dug in that Pickett sucks and won’t listen otherwise. Welp, too bad because unless they bring in a big name we’re going to see what Pickett can do with a better OC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think people are looking at the wrong Bear player, I think
    they like the CB more than the QB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    And yet he scored zero touchdowns

Isn't that really the goal

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The team scores TD’s. There are things that happen in a game that are outside the QB’s control, like a blown call on a TD and a fumble in the red zone which was then ignored by your favorite player.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    A duo of Jaylon Johnson and Porter Jr would be very formidable.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    But after a scarcity of TDs after two full seasons with Pickett at the helm, it’s become a trend and it all can’t be blamed on Canada. His TD ratio for a QB with 500 or more passes is historically low, the lowest EVER. That’s not all on Canada. We can make excuses for Kenny all we want, but his play has been sub-par for the most part. Good quarterbacks get results in spite of the OC at times and Kenny’s results have been below the line. He’ll get his chance with Smith as he should but I’m not excited at all going into next season with him as the starter.

I was on board with Kenny when we drafted him and continued to defend him for a season and a half. But it finally got to the point that I realized his deficiencies could no longer be ignored or blamed on Canada. At this point, he’s just not the guy. He’s not durable, he’s not smart, he doesn’t have any physical traits that are overly impressive. The Steelers are currently where they were in the 80s, in quarterback limbo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh bull****

A quarterback who doesn’t score touchdowns is not a good quarterback at the very least it wasn’t a good day

And who is my favorite player you seemed to suggest

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    You push your agenda :thumbs up:

But it’s silly to ignore the two examples I gave for the score not being higher.

DJ. He ignored the fumble, quit on the play.

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Unfortunately we didn’t get to see him get more games under his belt without Canada. Given how the team was moving the football without Canada, I feel the points would have come. I think Rudolph benefitted taking over 4 games removed from the child like offense that was being run. Not to mention the competition. He can only play the teams that are on the schedule and he handled that well but I have no doubt the stars aligned for him.

19. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Maybe the stars did align, but he also showed patience in the pocket, made the correct pre-snap reads and went through his progressions which did wonders for the offense’s performance. Those were all things Kenny was struggling with. The difference between the two quarterbacks was undeniable.

• Winner Winner x 3
  20. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

I don't like how you are conducting yourself.

21. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Beautiful Score !

22. pczach

pczach Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2023

Your timing is impeccable.

23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Didn't read any of it.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Amazing those same things didn't happen with Mason as much. LoL

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This 100. I hope, and pray KFP works out, but this whole who they played, and other crap is excuses. Are people blind to the fact theat KFP bailed many times before those people could come open??? Can people with eyes actually say they couldn't see the difference in one Qb staying in the pocket, and the other two bailing out???

• Like Like x 1