1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IF STEELERS GO FOR FIELDS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If you were smart you would know I didn't make up anything. I added factual information. Moore did have over 1,100 yards receiving in a season three times with Carolina. Last year's 14.2 yards per reception wasn't even close to his career high, 18.1 yards per catch in 2020. Moore has been a stud, so I disagree with the implication that Fields made him better. I think it was the other way around. That isn't making things up, either. That is stating an opinion. I'm allowed to have those, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Rudolph's time didn't prove anything. He didn't have to deal with Canada running the show when he started and he had the easiest stretch of defensive opposition the team faced all season propping him up.

Pickett got one full start without Canada and the result was every big as good as what Rudolph did those last few games, especially when you consider that he was robbed of a touchdown pass by poor officiating. He had them moving the ball against the Cardinals, but Cole torpedoed two drives with terrible snaps on third downs. So no, the system he dealt with most of the season was not the one Rudolph played in at the end.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. Aerosteel

Aerosteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree with a lot your points. Statistically, Kenny has shown little to make anyone think he is going to be the guy. 25 games and not one exceptional performance. Where we differ is what we see as the reason why.

He was dropped into an offensive dumpster fire. As bad as we all thought the OC was, it must have been even worse within the organization for them to take the unprecedented action to fire him mid season. I have never seen that in my lifetime. I don't think it's a coincidence that he had his best game as a pro in the only game that Canada was not the OC. I also don't think you can compare Mason's 4 games because he had the benefit of playing after Canada was gone.

Ultimately, odds are you're right, and Kenny washes out. I just think the team should and will give him one more shot with a capable OC and an improved O line. And if that turns out to be the wrong decision, then they can move on.

4. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Well, Seems that most on here feel
    Going with bigk next year will end the non-losing season streak the team champions.
    SORRY TOMLIN!!!!

5. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    We all are allowed to have opinions on a message board. Your post was milseading because Moore had the most yards of a season with Fields, that fact. And you also discounted Fields' games against Denver and Washington. If you dismiss those games for him, then I guess you would have to do the same for the 16 other QBs that had them on their schedule too. You seem to be cherry picking items to to make your agrument. Based on your logic, the superior QBs should have had more yards against those teams than Fields.

You're the one who inserted who made who look better writer.

I don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak, but noticed these things in your argument. Also, I don't think Fields will be going to the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We went 5-1 in the division, and 10-7 overall. We are fine now. You trade away picks, and money to be better than fine. Just think if We didn't play the last guy(Trubisky) who was supposed to make us fine last year. We would have won more games.

7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I didn't read. I saw the end.....You may like to lie....I don't....I don't care about anyone on here enough to even attempt to have to lie for any reason. If I say I read to a certain spot, and didn't read anymore....that's exactly what I did....like this....I skipped the whole thing, and read the last paragraph. I only say I didn't read ...when I didn't read....please don't think You are someone that is so awesome I must read everything You write....in Your head/universe that maybe.....in My head You are just a fake Thor that interrupted a conversation I was having with someone else.

8. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    upload_2024-2-16_13-1-36.jpeg

9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What would you give up for Justin Fields? Field's will be on his 4th year, and his 5th year option of $23 million will need to be completed in May, before he ever has a chance to throw a single pass in a game for the Steelers.

I see Fields as a Free Agent in 2025

I would think his value would be the same as Trey Lance's was last year. A 4th round pick. Right now the Cowboys have until May to pick up Lance's 5th year option for $19 million.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  10. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I thought about liking this post but didn't want to get called out for it so..... maybe I like it, maybe I don't.:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  11. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    Who could FRET about a like or dislike

12. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    :shrug:

13. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    i struck a chord?

14. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Yet you take the time to 'read the last paragraph', tag the post as hilarious, and respond to say you didn't read and throw in petty insults.

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    I C how sharp you are.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    He'll call it out down the road when he's in the midst of another 'everyone laughed at me' mood.

For someone that claims to not care about anybody on the board he sure likes to repeat how much others supposedly disrespect his opinion. :rolleyes:

17. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    pluck off lol

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  18. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    I C how sharp U R

Helmet says
    het it right

• Like Like x 1
  19. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
  20. forgotten1

Mar 4, 2022
    IOWA U an apology?

21. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    You can keep holding out hope like everyone else, but be prepared to be sorely disappointed. You are willing to discredit Rudolph's game vs the Bengals as if it should have been expected or less of a big deal, then turn around and laud Kenny's game against the Bengals as if it is proof that the kid can play in this league. While I agree that the officiating blew the call on what should have been a DJ TD (and Tomlin blew not challenging), it would still be a worse game than Rudolph's. Its also against a horrible defense. When he played actual solid or good defenses, he got exposed.

Against bad defenses (20th ranked defense or worse)
    Rams - 17/25 - 230 yds 0 TD/0 INT - We had 108 yards going into the 4th quarter and had 192 in that quarter to win (Kenny had less than 100 yards passing to this point). Got dominated for 3 quarters and played a good 4th.
    Jags - 10/16 - 73 yards 0 TD/0 INT - A bit of a weather element here and he got injured 2 plays before the end of the first half. Not an inspiring performance to the point of injury.
    Cards - 7/10 - 70 yards 0 TD/ 0 INT - Play was stopped with 5 mins left as Kenny got injured diving for yards on 3rd and goal. Maybe we score maybe we don't. Kenny fumbled this game as well. Not awful, but certainly not good.
    Cincy - 24/33 - 278 yards 0 TD/ 0 INT - Refs/Tomlin butchered a likely TD here as alluded to earlier. This was Kenny's best game and one of (if not the only) complete quality NFL game of his career.

- While he played only half a game vs both Jacksonville and Cincy, he essentially played 3 full games against the leagues worst defenses and failed to throw a TD pass. He scored 16 vs. the Bengals, had 3 points before exiting the Jags and Cards games and had 24 against the Rams (10 points going into the 4th off a gift INT taken to the Rams 6 by TJ Watt). Played 5 good quarters out of 12.

Against middle defenses (11th-19th)
    Titans - 19/30 - 160 yds - 1 TD/0 INT - Had a shot at being a good game here, but a few huge misses on would be big plays... Certainly not a fantastic effort.
    Packers - 14/23 - 126 yds - 0 TD/0 INT - Awful. We ran all over GB and he couldn't find a way to win in the air. Poor showing.
    Texans - 15/23 - 114 yds - 0 TD/0 INT - Left the game with 1:10 left in the 3rd. Another very poor showing, leaving the game again with 3 points on the board.
    Raiders - 16/28 - 235 yds - 2 TD/ 0 INT - Kenny's lone multi-TD game (yikes). Got lucky to have a freebie pick 6 dropped by Peters, but overall played fine enough. Solid performance. Good enough to win most of the time.

- Played pretty solidly in one game, and most below par to awful in the others. Certainly not what we are looking for.

Against good defenses (Top 10 in the league)
    49ers - 31/46 - 232 yds - 1 TD/2 INT - Bad start all around for the Steelers. Hyped up coming off a great preseason to fall on his face. IIRC no first downs until the final drive of the first half. Dreadful.
    Browns - 15/30 - 222 yds - 1/TD/ 1 INT - Dreadful game, lucky to only get picked once. Had a big play to Pickens on a long catch and run. We lose this game without 2 defensive TD's.
    Ravens - 18/32 - 224 yds - 1 TD/0 INT - Actually not awful at all. A big chunk on one play to Pickens, but it mattered big time. Far from perfect, but this was definitely an acceptable game against a good defense.
    Browns - 15/28 - 106 yards - 0 TD/0 INT - Worst game of his career, couldn't do anything. If it weren't for a lateral play in desperation, he would have finished with less than 100 yards passing. If I were the coach, this would have been Pickett's last game as a starter in Pittsburgh.

- One solid game against the Ravens and 3 horrible games. 17 points scored was the highest offensive output in these games... How do we expect to beat decent teams if we cant score points? How will we ever win in the post season where the better defenses tend to remain?

We have to understand that the only difference pre and post Canada was the play-caller. Its the same system, the same players, all of it. I get that Canada was a massive failure here (and I wanted him fired after 2022), but you can't convince me that Mike Sullivan (who had 2 previous failed OC stints himself) calling the plays made ALL the difference. Our offense sucked when Trubisky was playing bad too. It didn't suck when Mason took over. It was the caliber of QB play that made the difference. Mason may never be a full-time starter in the NFL, but those games he played this year were far better than anything put on the field since Ben left and its not even close. We're trying to convince ourselves Kenny doesn't suck, and we're making every excuse (just like we made excuses for Canada to keep him around another year). It would be a travesty to see us not learn from our mistakes and send Kenny out there as QB1 in 2024. We HAVE to do better if we are even remotely serious about winning football games this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I actually don't. I think our roster (with a few minor improvements *cough* center *cough*) would be hard to lose a lot of games with. We have the best pass rusher in the league and a good counterpart, a #1 CB, a high end S, a good RB tandem, an OL that is set to be pretty good with a new C, and quality young weapons. We will get a 3rd place schedule in 2024 and will likely win a lot of games even with trash QB play. We've done it for 2 years, why would we expect it to stop?

I am one of the bigger Kenny detractors on here it seems and we can easily be good enough to win 9-10 games with "Mr. Sixteen" throwing up doozies week after week. If we stay healthy in the spots that matter this roster is really good.

23. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Its a risk either way, right? We risk wasting another season on Kenny or risk wasting picks/money on someone else. Its fine enough that people want to see him play with a new OC. I can't fault people for that opinion despite me believing it is wrong.

We're likely gonna see who is right, bc the odds are 8 is our day one starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    My post wasn't misleading at all. I find it more misleading to talk about Moore having his best season as if it was some sort of breakout when he had already been over 1,100 yards three times.

I bring up the two games because they inflate his numbers. He is erratic. He has the occasional big game, but he also threw for eight touchdowns and threw eight interceptions in his other 11 games.

I'm not sure what you were trying to communicate in that sentence that ended in better writer. You may want to try again. You are the one who took a swing at me in the previous post. I was just swinging back.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Pretty much. Believe what you want....I promise it's not a bit of skin off my back.